Proof using the binomial theorem

In summary, The binomial theorem can be used to prove that for a positive integer n, (1 + 1/n)^n = 1 + sum(k=1 to n) [1/k! product(r=0 to k-1) (1 - r/n)]. By rewriting the product on the RHS as (n - r)! (1/n)!, it can be expressed as (n - r)!/k!n!. This shows that each term in the RHS corresponds to one of the expanded terms in the LHS.
naaa00

Homework Statement

Use the binomial theorem to rpove that for n a positive integer we have:

(1 + 1/n)^n = 1 + sum(k=1 to n) [1/k! product(r=0 to k-1) (1 - r/n)]

The Attempt at a Solution

(1 + 1/n)^n = 1 + sum(k=1 to n) (n choose r) 1^n-k (1/n)^k, where (n choose r) = n!/r!(n - r)!, the binomial coefficients.

I'm trying to fit "n!/r!(n - r)!" to an expression that involves the products, since product(k=1 to n) n = n!

The product on the RHS I rewrite it as: product(r=0 to k-1) [(n - r)/n]

[product(r=0 to k-1) (n - r)] x [product(r=0 to k-1) (1/n)]

=> (n - r)! (1/n)!

So...

(1 + 1/n)^n = 1 + sum(k=1 to n) [1/k! (n-r)! (1/n)!] or (1 + 1/n)^n = 1 + sum(k=1 to n) [(n-r)!/k!n!]

I don't like this. I feel that all of this is taking me nowhere.

Any ideas will be very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

look at the snapshot i have attached. in the second equation, its clear that we can express
it as the term on RHS in your expression.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    11 KB · Views: 470
Each of the terms of the RHS sum corresponds to one of the expanded terms of the LHS.

Related to Proof using the binomial theorem

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that helps to expand binomial expressions, which consist of two terms, to a certain power. It provides a way to calculate the coefficients of each term in the expanded expression.

2. How is the binomial theorem used in proofs?

The binomial theorem is often used in proofs to show the expansion of binomial expressions to a higher power. It can also be used to simplify equations and solve problems involving binomial coefficients.

3. Can the binomial theorem be used for non-integer powers?

Yes, the binomial theorem can be used for non-integer powers, as long as the power is a real number. In such cases, the binomial coefficients are calculated using the binomial formula instead of using the factorial notation.

4. Are there any limitations to the binomial theorem?

Yes, the binomial theorem has certain limitations. It can only be used for expressions with two terms raised to a power, and it is not applicable for complex numbers. Also, the binomial coefficients become increasingly large as the power increases, making it impractical to use for large powers.

5. How can the binomial theorem be applied in real-world situations?

The binomial theorem has various applications in fields such as physics, finance, and computer science. For example, it can be used to model the growth of a population or to calculate the probability of a certain event occurring in a given number of trials.