Proofs In Advance Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's experience in taking an Advanced Calculus course at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The student enjoys the class but struggles with understanding the proofs behind concepts such as the implicit theorem, the inversion theorem, and partial derivatives. They ask for tips on how to better understand the proofs and are advised to consider the underlying ideas behind them, such as the contraction mapping theorem. It is emphasized that understanding the fundamental idea behind a proof is crucial for applying it in new situations.
NukeEng101
I'm a sophomore at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and I'm taking MATH 4600 which is Advanced Calculus. I love the class and it is very interesting, we're taking what we learned in Multivariable Calculus, but just at a much higher level. However, my teacher does a lot of proofs behind why it's true and a lot of theory. I am having trouble understanding the proofs of the implicit theorem, the inversion theorem, and even just partial derivatives.

I know how to do the problems with actual examples, it's just the theory that's a little weak and I really want to improve on it to fully appreciate it a lot more. Thanks to anyone who could help give me pointers to understand the proofs a lot more!

Physics news on Phys.org
Read more proofs.

give us more detail so we are not left with just the option of giving you the full proof of the inverse function theorem. or read spivak, calculus on manifolds.

And make sure you try to see the "big picture" behind a proof. This makes all of the details usually easy. Ask yourself why each step is needed; what's the idea behind it? For example, the inverse function theorem is basically a corollary of the contraction mapping theorem. [You could take this line of thought even further. The contraction mapping theorem applies in any metric space, not just Euclidean space. By considering function spaces, we get the existence/uniqueness theorem for ODEs. Or by considering arbitrary Banach spaces we can generalize the inverse function theorem, necessary for infinite-dimensional settings like functional analysis. So it's really important that you get the fundamental idea behind the proof to be able to apply it in new situations like these!]

Last edited:

As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of understanding the underlying theory and proofs behind mathematical concepts. It is great to hear that you are enjoying your advanced calculus class and are eager to improve your understanding of the proofs.

First of all, don't be discouraged if you are having trouble understanding the proofs. Advanced calculus can be challenging and it takes time and practice to fully grasp the concepts. One way to improve your understanding is to actively engage with the material. This could include taking detailed notes during lectures, asking questions during class, and working through practice problems on your own.

In addition, I would recommend seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, or tutoring services. These resources can provide alternative explanations and examples that may help you better understand the proofs.

Another helpful strategy is to break down the proofs into smaller, more manageable parts and focus on understanding each step before moving on to the next. It can also be helpful to make connections between the proofs and the concepts you learned in multivariable calculus. This can help you see the bigger picture and understand the relevance of the proofs.

Lastly, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher for additional help or clarification. They are there to support your learning and can provide valuable insights and explanations.

Keep up the hard work and don't get discouraged. With dedication and persistence, I am sure you will improve your understanding of the proofs in advance calculus. Good luck!

What is the purpose of proofs in advanced calculus?

The purpose of proofs in advanced calculus is to provide logical justification for mathematical statements and to deepen our understanding of mathematical concepts. Proofs also allow us to generalize our knowledge and apply it to new situations.

Why are proofs important in advanced calculus?

Proofs are important in advanced calculus because they help us to understand the underlying principles and logic behind mathematical concepts. They also allow us to verify the correctness of our calculations and to develop new theories and techniques.

What are the different types of proofs used in advanced calculus?

There are several types of proofs used in advanced calculus, including direct proofs, indirect proofs, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by construction. Each type of proof has its own set of rules and techniques, and they can be used to prove different types of mathematical statements.

How do you construct a proof in advanced calculus?

To construct a proof in advanced calculus, you first need to clearly state your assumptions and the theorem or statement you are trying to prove. Then, you need to use logical reasoning and previously established results to build a step-by-step argument that leads to the conclusion. It is important to be thorough and precise in your reasoning and to use correct mathematical notation.

What are some strategies for writing clear and concise proofs in advanced calculus?

Some strategies for writing clear and concise proofs in advanced calculus include starting with the most basic definitions and building up to more complex concepts, using diagrams or visual aids to illustrate your arguments, and organizing your proof in a clear and logical manner. It is also important to use clear and precise language and to include all necessary steps and explanations.