Why Do Electromagnetic Waves Propagate Independently of Their Source?

In summary: Well, you are showing that the propagation of the em waves is independent of the sources. As for what they want as a "coherent explanation", I cannot say. It depends on what your instructor has in mind so I would not dare try to guess in case I would induce you in error.
BobaJ

Homework Statement

Use Maxwell's equations to elaborate an coherent explication of why electromagnetic waves propagate independently of the source that produces them.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations in vacuum:
  • ##\nabla * E=0##
  • ##\nabla * B=0##
  • ##\nabla \times E = -\frac{\partial B}{\partial t}##
  • ##\nabla \times B=\mu _0 \epsilon _0 \frac{\partial E}{\partial B}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I don't know how to begin or proof it.

Physics news on Phys.org
BobaJ said:

Homework Statement

Use Maxwell's equations to elaborate an coherent explication of why electromagnetic waves propagate independently of the source that produces them.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations in vacuum:
  • ##\nabla * E=0##
  • ##\nabla * B=0##
  • ##\nabla \times E = -\frac{\partial B}{\partial t}##
  • ##\nabla \times B=\mu _0 \epsilon _0 \frac{\partial E}{\partial B}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I don't know how to begin or proof it.
This is actually done in most textbooks. Hint: have you seen the wave equation? Do you know any identities containing curl and divergence of a vector field?

nrqed said:
This is actually done in most textbooks. Hint: have you seen the wave equation? Do you know any identities containing curl and divergence of a vector field?
Maybe you can recommend me a textbook where it is done?
Yes, I have seen the wave equation (and how to derive it from Maxwell´s equations).

BobaJ said:
Maybe you can recommend me a textbook where it is done?
Yes, I have seen the wave equation (and how to derive it from Maxwell´s equations).
AH ok. Then this is what shows that the waves propagate independently of the sources. When an em wave is produced, it propagates because the fields obey the wave equation.

Ahhh, so when they refer to different sources, they are just referring to either electric or magnetic ones?

So just by getting, the equations ##\nabla^2 E=\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2}## and ##\nabla^2 B=\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2 B}{\partial t^2}## I'm showing that the EM waves are independent of the source that produces them.

And they are propagating because they obey the wave equation.

So, when they are asking me to elaborate an coherent explanation to proof it, they are in reality asking me to derive and demonstrate the two equations previously mentioned? Is that right?

BobaJ said:
Ahhh, so when they refer to different sources, they are just referring to either electric or magnetic ones?

So just by getting, the equations ##\nabla^2 E=\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2}## and ##\nabla^2 B=\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2 B}{\partial t^2}## I'm showing that the EM waves are independent of the source that produces them.

And they are propagating because they obey the wave equation.

So, when they are asking me to elaborate an coherent explanation to proof it, they are in reality asking me to derive and demonstrate the two equations previously mentioned? Is that right?
Well, you are showing that the propagation of the em waves is independent of the sources. As for what they want as a "coherent explanation", I cannot say. It depends on what your instructor has in mind so I would not dare try to guess in case I would induce you in error.

1. What is the difference between electromagnetic waves and mechanical waves?

Electromagnetic waves are transverse waves that do not require a medium to propagate, while mechanical waves are longitudinal waves that require a medium. Electromagnetic waves can travel through vacuum, but mechanical waves cannot.

2. How do electromagnetic waves propagate?

Electromagnetic waves propagate through a process called electromagnetic radiation. This is when an electric field and a magnetic field oscillate perpendicularly to each other, creating a self-propagating wave of energy.

3. What is the speed of electromagnetic waves?

The speed of electromagnetic waves in a vacuum is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second, also known as the speed of light. This speed can vary slightly depending on the medium through which the waves are traveling.

4. What factors affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves?

The propagation of electromagnetic waves can be affected by the wavelength, frequency, and amplitude of the wave. It can also be influenced by the properties of the medium through which the waves are traveling, such as density and temperature.

5. How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

Electromagnetic waves can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted when they interact with matter. The behavior of the waves depends on the properties of the material they encounter, such as its density and composition.