How Can I Broadcast a Message Into Outer Space Using Radio Waves?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who wants to broadcast a message into outer space with their niece. They have electronic knowledge and want to know the details such as which radio frequency to use, the power needed, and what kind of antenna to use. The other person suggests sending a message to another country as a more practical option and mentions the possibility of receiving a radio echo from the Moon. They also mention the need for an amateur radio operator license and suggest reading the ARRL Handbook.
Tuts
Hello!

I have been thinking of broadcasting a message into outer space. It sounds silly, I know, but that's just something I'd like to do for and with my niece. She's 8 years old and very interested in physics (as far as she understands it).

I have some knowledge in electronics, I think I could assemble a circuit that would transmit the message. I just don't know the details.

For example: which radio frequency should I use, so that it will escape the Earth's atmosphere? What is the power (W) needed for the message to reach some (a few hundreds, maybe) light-years, after it scapes the atmophere? What kind of antena should I use, so that the signal goes in a specific direction, thus reducing propagation loss?

I really would like to do this for her :)

Thanks in advance!

Likes AlexCaledin
Engineering news on Phys.org
How will you know if it worked?
I am sorry but it is just not practical for you to do this.
But you could send a message to another country with a home made set-up and the right training.

Likes anorlunda
What's really interesting to demonstrate , it's receiving the radio echo from the Moon.
Amateurs do it using frequencies about 146 (or 430 etc) MHz with a directed antenna similar to a classic tv one but with more directing elements. The transmitter power can be 1kW or more.

Last edited:
If you are in the United States, you need an amateur radio operator license. That, and everything else you need to know, can be found here: http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed.

I think it's time for me to buy a copy of the ARRL Handbook if only to read about the spudgun antenna launcher.

1. How do radio waves travel?

Radio waves travel by oscillating electric and magnetic fields. These fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave's propagation. The wave travels through space at the speed of light.

2. What materials can radio waves travel through?

Radio waves can travel through a variety of materials, including air, water, and most solid objects. However, some materials, such as metal, can block or reflect radio waves.

3. How far can radio waves travel?

The distance that radio waves can travel depends on several factors, including the power of the transmitter, the frequency of the waves, and any obstacles or interference in the path. In general, radio waves can travel very long distances, sometimes even circling the entire Earth.

4. How do radio waves interact with the environment?

Radio waves can be absorbed, reflected, or refracted by different materials and objects in the environment. This can affect the strength and clarity of the signals being transmitted and received. Additionally, the Earth's atmosphere can also affect the propagation of radio waves, especially at higher frequencies.

5. How are radio waves used in communication?

Radio waves are used in various forms of communication, including radio and television broadcasting, cellular phones, Wi-Fi networks, and satellite communication. They are also used in radar systems for navigation and detection of objects, such as airplanes and ships.