Radio waves from an antenna using the propagator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Feynman propagator and the retarded propagator in different scenarios. The speaker is questioning if the propagator can be used for a virtual particle or if a delta function should be used for a real photon. They also ask if the propagator alters waveforms and if it can be shown that information does not travel faster than light. The responder clarifies that for a radio wave, the retarded propagator should be used and distinguishes between the different types of propagators. They also suggest further reading for a better understanding of the topic.
nuclearhead
I want to find a simple example of using the Feynman propagator: 1/(|x-x'|2-(t-t')2)
and also to show that no signals an travel faster than light.
So I was thinking about waves emitted from an antenna.

Tell me if I got this right?

Assume a static source in space at x=0 and varying in time: δ(x')exp(iEt') (maybe an electron vibrating in a wire?)

Then integrating over all time for the source

∫1/(|x-x'|2-(t-t')2)δ(x')exp(iEt') dt = ( exp(iEt - i|E||x| ) /|x|

This gives the amplitude for finding a photon at x,t I think? The probability is 1/|x|2 which agrees with the inverse square law for waves.

Is this valid to use the propagator of a virtual particle in this case or should you use the delta function δ(x2-t2) for a "real" photon?

Now assume another static source this time the antenna is transmitting a more complicated wave δ(x')f(t'). Is it possible to show that this wave form gets transmitted to the point (x,t)? Does the Feynman propagator alter this waveform? Also, can it be shown that no information from this waveform travel faster than light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for a radio wave radiated from an antenna must not use the Feynman propagator but the retarded propagator. It's very important to distinguish the different kinds of propagators, depending on the application. Also in linear-response theory in quantum field theory you get the correct result, i.e., the retarded propagator for your application. Have a look at

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/off-eq-qft.pdf

for some details of the real-time formalism of (relativistic) quantum many-body theory.

1. What are radio waves and how are they produced?

Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that is produced when an alternating current flows through an antenna. This current causes electrons to oscillate, creating a changing electric field that radiates outward as radio waves.

2. What is the role of an antenna in producing radio waves?

An antenna is a device that is designed to efficiently radiate and receive electromagnetic waves. In the case of radio waves, an antenna converts electrical energy into electromagnetic energy and vice versa.

3. How do radio waves travel from an antenna to a receiver?

Radio waves travel through space at the speed of light and can travel through air, vacuums, and some other materials. When emitted from an antenna, they spread out in all directions and can be received by a receiver tuned to the same frequency.

4. What is the propagator in the context of radio waves from an antenna?

The propagator is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a wave as it travels through space. In the context of radio waves from an antenna, the propagator helps us understand how the electromagnetic fields created by the antenna propagate through space to reach a receiver.

5. Can radio waves from an antenna be harmful to humans?

Radio waves from an antenna are generally considered safe for humans, as they have lower energy and longer wavelengths compared to other types of electromagnetic radiation. However, exposure to very high levels of radio waves, such as those used in medical procedures, can have potential health effects and should be regulated accordingly.