Running a Car on Hydrogen Made from Water

In summary: The energy is stored in the bonds of the molecules. To make it simple, let's say it is like a compressed spring. When you let the spring go, you get mechanical energy. If you wanna reload the spring, you have to put in as much energy as you got out when you let it go. Water is like the spring that is already let go. You have to put the same amount in to make it go back in the other direction. This is not a conspiracy. This is thermodynamics.In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a simple system to convert tap water into gaseous hydrogen and oxygen, which would then be burned in the engine instead of gasoline. The idea is met with skepticism,
harvellt said:
What about a combination of solar and wind turbines to generate the electricity for a hydrogen additive to the gasoline?
Would the extra drag produced by small wind turbines designed into the car off set any potential electricity to hydrogen energy?
Well, any energy gained via a wind turbine (on a calm day) is energy that must have first been expended by the motor. So no net gain: only a net loss.

And solar, again, it doesn't provide a meaningful amount of power.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the problems associated with bacteria as a means to produce hydrogen and oxygen for our energy needs?

Shortage of stuff to feed the bacteria on?

russ_watters said:
That link doesn't work. http://www.truth777.netfirms.com/Conspiracy/carwater.htm is it.

In any case, there is no good summary and I'm not going to go through the whole thing to figure it out. The fact that it comes from a conspiracy theory website makes it suspicious. This is the best summary Its not clear, but if the site is claiming that you can use a car's alternator to split hydrogen and oxygen from water, then burn the hydrogen and oxygen to power the car and provide the power to split hydrogen and oxygen from water, it is wrong.

We've already been over why: The reaction is symmetrical and conservation law applies. This is taught in junior high school chemistry. Gasoline is fuel ready-to-burn. Water is not. In fact, water is the exhaust from burning hydrogen and oxygen. What you are describing is identical to putting a hose on your car's tailpipe, capturing the exhaust, and turning it back into gasoline.

Maybe this will help:

Assume all systems are 100% efficient. Put 1kWh of energy into some water and split some into hydrogen and oxygen. How much energy will you get back when you burn the hydrogen and oxygen you just produced?

(hint: all the info you need to do this problem is contained in the problem and no calculations are required to find the answer. Apply conservation law.)

I can add some color to that. I've read a bit on these boards and nobody seems to understand the entire concept. Most seem to default to the conservation of energy law to refute it--to the detriment to those who wonder if there's more to the story.

Generally the equipment is called a hydrogen booster but can be whatever else anyone wants to call them. The 'technology' has been around since about the 1970's.

Basically the hydrogen booster theory is this...hydrogen is fed in with the gasoline/air mixture into the cylinder of the engine. On the spark plug firing, the hydrogen wicks the flame around the mixture faster resulting in a cleaner 'pop'. This supposedly increases efficiency.

From what I can gather, the concept does seem to "work" in that it creates a cleaner pop and a slight boost in efficiency of the cycle. The bad news--well that's where the energy balance comes into play. Producing hydrogen is energy intensive, energy of which likely is only partially recovered by the cleaner pop plus the partial recovery of the hydrogen being combusted in the cylinder. I don't have access to direct numbers generally claimed by people pushing hydrogen boosters but recovery of the energy to produce the hydrogen plus an additional increase in efficiency seems extremely unlikely. However, disproving the claims of everyone pushing a hydrogen booster concept would be a monumental task. If anyone disproves one, the people pushing the concept can change a word or two in their claim and all the work of disproving was for naught.

There are a number of penny stocks out there which push the hydrogen booster concept and, while claims run rampant, to my knowledge none has ever proven economic viability. The story is juicy, however, and hucksters and swindlers often use it to their advantage to get naive investors dreaming and throwing money at their stock. It would be interesting to see the cumulative total money lost by investors who were suckered into investing in hydrogen boosters and similar 'technologies' since about the 1970's. All I know is that it's not a trivial amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
PaperProphet said:
I can add some color to that. I've read a bit on these boards and nobody seems to understand the entire concept. Most seem to default to the conservation of energy law to refute it--to the detriment to those who wonder if there's more to the story.

I agree.

PaperProphet said:
Generally the equipment is called a hydrogen booster but can be whatever else anyone wants to call them. The 'technology' has been around since about the 1970's.

Basically the hydrogen booster theory is this...hydrogen is fed in with the gasoline/air mixture into the cylinder of the engine. On the spark plug firing, the hydrogen wicks the flame around the mixture faster resulting in a cleaner 'pop'. This supposedly increases efficiency.

Your right. The faster burn duration is due to the combustion properties of hydrogen. This will be depend on the quantity of hydrogen, which of course will vary from system to system. From what I have seen, systems do exist that can create an ample amount of hydrogen, which would cause one to expect the combustion modifications that you described.

PaperProphet said:
From what I can gather, the concept does seem to "work" in that it creates a cleaner pop and a slight boost in efficiency of the cycle. The bad news--well that's where the energy balance comes into play. Producing hydrogen is energy intensive, energy of which likely is only partially recovered by the cleaner pop plus the partial recovery of the hydrogen being combusted in the cylinder. I don't have access to direct numbers generally claimed by people pushing hydrogen boosters but recovery of the energy to produce the hydrogen plus an additional increase in efficiency seems extremely unlikely. However, disproving the claims of everyone pushing a hydrogen booster concept would be a monumental task. If anyone disproves one, the people pushing the concept can change a word or two in their claim and all the work of disproving was for naught.

I agree that the energy losses to produce the hydrogen are difficult to overcome. To my knowledge, the only way that this could happen is through the modification of sensor data, either through manual tinkering or by the modification of combustion due to hydrogen and oxygen addition, so that the vehicle runs leaner. A leaner operating engine by itself (without hydrogen) can give improvements in MPG. In fact, many people out there now use an EFIE to make their vehicles run leaner, and by doing this, this would be the major reason for any MPG gains; the role of the hydrogen in this case is to make this process smoother. In the long-term, this is not likely good for the engine.
PaperProphet said:
There are a number of penny stocks out there which push the hydrogen booster concept and, while claims run rampant, to my knowledge none has ever proven economic viability. The story is juicy, however, and hucksters and swindlers often use it to their advantage to get naive investors dreaming and throwing money at their stock. It would be interesting to see the cumulative total money lost by investors who were suckered into investing in hydrogen boosters and similar 'technologies' since about the 1970's. All I know is that it's not a trivial amount.

Yes, the idea has been around for a while. I've seen numerous U.S. patents spanning back decades. The proposed benefits are always improved economy and cleaner emissions. Yet, we don't see these systems installed on modern vehicles. Is the idea impractical (or crap) or is the control measures needed to ensure improvement too difficult to overcome or too impractical for considering at this moment?

racprops said:
They, the Inventers etc. are perhaps unrealistically suggesting the car can run totally on their Generator, and so far I have not seen any real proof it will not.

The proof is in the world's oceans. They are stable. If you take a match to them, they will not ignite. H2O is the output of combustion, not the input.

Respectfully, your unwillingness to accept this elementary fact is so distracting that it robs any weight to your arguments about using fuel additives to boost mileage on a car. You're asking intelligent questions, racprops, but they're getting lost in all this nonsense about trying to get energy from water.

I heard on the Planet Green channel, "Future car: The Fuel, Alternatives to Gasoline" series (2007) that we may envision a future where water is continually recycled for energy via perpetual motion, and Planet Green wouldn't lie. (ok, so it's sarcasm. so shoot me, but this was their implication. they even went so far as to advance perpetual motion by name.)

Haven't read the whole thread but there is only one way I can think of that the HHO device might work without violating any of the laws of thermodynamics. That is if the hydrogen or oxygen extracted from the water somehow increases the efficiency of the burning of the gasoline. I'm no chemist, but I know most combustion reactions are not a hundred percent efficient, and leave some unburned fuel as well as other compounds like CO and nitrogen oxides in the exhaust. Is it possible that adding extra H2 (or O2) to a fuel-air mixture inside a combustion chamber would cause the fuel to burn more efficiently (ie fewer unburned leftovers or non-energy yielding reactions)? Then the H2 is not serving as a supplementary fuel source (which would violate energy conservation); it is working as a catalyst. The result would be more energy extracted per volume of petroleum.

Last edited: