Proper distance in Schwarzschild metric

In summary, the line element is defined as ##ds^2 = -(1-\frac{2m}{r})dt^2+\frac{dr^2}{1-\frac{2m}{r}}+r^2 d\theta^2 + r^2 \sin^2{\theta} d\phi^2##. The formula for the proper distance between nearby spherical shells is ##ds = \frac{dr}{\sqrt{1-\frac{2m}{r}}}##, assuming only the radius changes and ##r > 2m##. As ##r## approaches ##2m## from the positive side, the horizon appears to get bigger and it may not be possible to reach it. To find
WendysRules

Homework Statement

Let the line element be defined as ##ds^2 = -(1-\frac{2m}{r})dt^2+\frac{dr^2}{1-\frac{2m}{r}}+r^2 d\theta^2 + r^2 \sin^2{\theta} d\phi^2##

a) Find a formula for proper distance between nearby spherical shells, assuming only the radius changes, and ## r > 2m ##
b) Now look at as r approaches 2m from the positive side. How far away is the horizon? Will you ever reach the horizon?
c) Now use your formula to find the distance between two concentric spherical shells around a black hole with mass = 5km. The first shell has circumference = ##2\pi r## the second shells has circumference ##2\pi(r+\Delta r) ## where ##\Delta r = 100 cm ##

Estimate the radial distance for:
## r = 50km ##
## r = 15 km ##
## r = 10.5 km ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) If only radius changes, can I just assume that ## dt = d\theta = d\phi = 0 ##? If I can, then ## ds = \frac{dr}{\sqrt{1-\frac{2m}{r}}} ## would be the formula for nearby spherical shells.

b) As r approaches 2m, our horizon seems to get bigger and bigger from the formula? I don't think we could ever reach the horizon because we get closer and closer to "infinity".

c) Uhh, this one I'm the most unconfident on. My formula gives me the distance between the shells, but, I'm not sure exactly which numbers to use. If ## r = 50km ## and ## m = 5km ## then ## ds = \frac{dr}{\sqrt{1-\frac{20km}{50km}}} = \frac{dr}{.775} ## which would say that my curvature looks bigger because ## \frac{dr}{.775 km} > dr ## but I didn't use anything with my shells. So, I don't think that's how I should do these.

My other thought was to say that ## dr = C_2 - C_1 = 2\pi(50.1 km) - 2\pi(50km) = .2 \pi km ## so then using the work above, we would say that ## ds = \frac{.2 \pi km}{.775 km} = .811 km ## but then again to say that dr is the difference of my circumference is a little weird and I'm sure is not right. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Question (c) seems unusual for me, because as long as I know circumferences are defined only for 2D objects. I think what the question asks is to consider viewing the system black hole + spherical shells through a "top view" in space. In that case, we could talk about a circumference for the shells. Then, the distance would be given by $$\int_{\Delta r} \frac{dR}{\sqrt{1- \frac{2m}{R}}}$$ and this would be the same for the three given values of ##r##.

1. What is proper distance in the Schwarzschild metric?

Proper distance in the Schwarzschild metric is a measure of the distance between two points in space that takes into account the curvature of space caused by a massive object, such as a black hole. It is calculated by integrating the line element along the path between the two points.

2. How is proper distance different from coordinate distance?

Proper distance takes into account the effects of gravity and curvature of space, while coordinate distance is simply the distance between two points measured using a coordinate system. Proper distance is a more accurate measure of distance in curved space, particularly in the vicinity of massive objects.

3. Can proper distance be greater than coordinate distance?

Yes, in the Schwarzschild metric, proper distance can be greater than coordinate distance. This is due to the curvature of space caused by the massive object. As the distance between two points becomes closer to the event horizon of a black hole, the proper distance between them will increase significantly compared to the coordinate distance.

4. How is proper distance related to time dilation?

Proper distance and time dilation are related in the sense that both are affected by the curvature of space caused by a massive object. As an object approaches the event horizon of a black hole, its proper distance from an outside observer will increase while its perceived time will slow down due to time dilation.

5. How does proper distance change in the presence of matter?

In the Schwarzschild metric, proper distance is affected by the presence of matter because matter creates a gravitational field that curves space. As a result, the proper distance between two points will change depending on the distribution and amount of matter present between them.