Coordinate singularity in Schwarzschild solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the line element of a black hole and its apparent singularity at ##r=0##. By making ##\tau## an angular coordinate and considering the hint given in the problem, it is shown that the singularity is a coordinate singularity and not a physical one. The question also mentions a potential mistake in the problem statement regarding the singularity's location.
Confused Physicist
Hi! I have the following problem I don't really know how to approach. Could someone give me a hand?

The line element of a black hole is given by: [tex]ds^2=\Bigg(1-\frac{2m}{r}\Bigg)d\tau ^2+\Bigg(1-\frac{2m}{r}\Bigg)^{-1} dr^2+r^2\Big(d\theta ^2+\sin^2(\theta)d\phi ^2\Big)[/tex]

It has an apparent singularity at ##r=0##. By making ##\tau## an angular coordinate, show that this singularity is a coordinate singularity (not physical) and find the period of ##\tau## that makes it possible. (consider expanding the metric functions about ##r=2m##).

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Confused Physicist said:
The line element of a black hole

Note that this is not the usual Schwarzschild metric; there is no minus sign in front of the first term on the RHS. (If there were, the question would not make sense because ##\tau## would not be able to be treatd as an angular coordinate.)

@Confused Physicist I have moved this thread to the homework forum. You will need to at least show some attempt at a solution. You could start by taking the hint in the parenthetical in the OP.

Confused Physicist said:
It has an apparent singularity at ##r=0##. By making ##\tau## an angular coordinate, show that this singularity is a coordinate singularity

Are you sure the problem statement says ##r = 0## and not ##r = 2m##?

PeterDonis said:
Are you sure the problem statement says ##r = 0## and not ##r = 2m##?

Thanks PeterDonis, I will post my future questions in the homework forum. I've been trying to squeeze my head around it, but I haven't posted my attempt because I literally don't have a decent one.

Yes, the problem says ##r=0##, but you're right. I believe it's a mistake and it should say ##r=2m##.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
Note that this is not the usual Schwarzschild metric; there is no minus sign in front of the first term on the RHS. (If there were, the question would not make sense because ##\tau## would not be able to be treatd as an angular coordinate.)

What does it mean to treat ##\tau## as an angular coordinate? Is it a specific change of variable?

Confused Physicist said:
What does it mean to treat ##\tau## as an angular coordinate?

It means it only covers the range ##0## to ##2 \pi## instead of ##- \infty## to ##+ \infty##.

1. What is a coordinate singularity in the Schwarzschild solution?

A coordinate singularity in the Schwarzschild solution refers to a point where the coordinates used to describe spacetime become infinite. This usually occurs at the event horizon of a black hole in the Schwarzschild metric.

2. Why is the coordinate singularity significant in the Schwarzschild solution?

The coordinate singularity is significant because it marks the boundary of the black hole and the point of no return for objects falling into it. It also indicates a breakdown in the mathematical description of spacetime at this point.

3. How does the coordinate singularity affect the behavior of objects near a black hole?

The coordinate singularity does not have a direct physical effect on objects near a black hole. However, it marks the boundary of the black hole and affects the curvature of spacetime, leading to the strong gravitational pull that can cause objects to fall into the black hole.

4. Is the coordinate singularity a real physical singularity?

No, the coordinate singularity is not a real physical singularity. It is a mathematical artifact that occurs due to the choice of coordinates used in the Schwarzschild solution. A physical singularity, on the other hand, represents a point of infinite density and curvature in spacetime.

5. Can the coordinate singularity be avoided in the Schwarzschild solution?

No, the coordinate singularity cannot be avoided in the Schwarzschild solution. It is a fundamental feature of the mathematical description of black holes in the Schwarzschild metric. However, alternative coordinate systems can be used to describe black holes without encountering a singularity, such as the Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates.