Proper termination with 75Ohm cable

• Thread starter hadoque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, adding a 25 Ohm resistor in series between the cable and the pulse generator will give a 50 Ohm impedance at A and a 75 Ohm impedance at B.
hadoque

Homework Statement

A pulse generator is connected to an oscilloscope, as in the image. The pulse generator has an internal impedance of 50Ohm and the oscilloscope is set to 1MOhm. The cable between the devices has a characteristic impedance of 75Ohm. The pulse from the generator has an amplitude of 1V and it's long enough to interfer with the reflecting pulse (if any). What is the proper resistance of the termination at B?

Homework Equations

[itex]V_r = V_0 \frac{Z-Z_0}{Z+Z_0}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At A there will be a reflection because of the higher impedance. The reflection amplitude will be
[itex]V_r = 1\text{V} \frac{75-50\Omega}{75+50\Omega}=\frac{1}{5}\text{V}[/itex]

Now, would this reflection increase (decrease seems more reasonable...) the amplitude of the pulse arriving at B, with 1/5V?
Would then a proper calculation of the termination be using V0= 1.2V, Z0=75Ohm and Z=-0.2?

Attachments

• setup2.pdf
    4.8 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
hadoque said:
Now, would this reflection increase (decrease seems more reasonable...) the amplitude of the pulse arriving at B, with 1/5V?
You are correct with "decrease is more reasonable".

Would then a proper calculation of the termination be using V0= 1.2V, Z0=75Ohm and Z=-0.2?
No, "-0.2" looks more like the reflection coefficient from the mismatch at A and is not an impedance. The question asks "what is the proper resistance of the termination at B". For a 75-ohm cable, one should be thinking: 75-ohms. So, how do you make the oscilloscope that looks look like a 1M-ohm load look like a 75-ohm load? I'll give you a chance to think about that.

lewando said:
You are correct with "decrease is more reasonable".

No, "-0.2" looks more like the reflection coefficient from the mismatch at A and is not an impedance. The question asks "what is the proper resistance of the termination at B".
Yes, that's Vr, which is the amplitude of the reflected pulse at A. I'm thinking that the first step would be to calculate the amplitude of the incident pulse at B.
lewando said:
For a 75-ohm cable, one should be thinking: 75-ohms. So, how do you make the oscilloscope that looks look like a 1M-ohm load look like a 75-ohm load? I'll give you a chance to think about that.
Well, I would say [itex]\frac{1}{1\text{M}\Omega} + \frac{1}{Z}= \frac{1}{75\Omega} \rightarrow Z \approx 75\Omega[/itex], but that assumes that the signal at B is 1V, which I don't think it is since the pulse generator is not matched to the cable...

True, the pulse generator is not matched to the cable. That is a shame. As for the oscilloscope, its termination is independent of the voltage of the signal applied. It just needs to match the cable.

Ok, but putting a 25Ohm resistor in series between cable and generator would give a match at A aswell, right?

hadoque said:

Homework Statement

A pulse generator is connected to an oscilloscope, as in the image. The pulse generator has an internal impedance of 50Ohm and the oscilloscope is set to 1MOhm. The cable between the devices has a characteristic impedance of 75Ohm. The pulse from the generator has an amplitude of 1V and it's long enough to interfer with the reflecting pulse (if any). What is the proper resistance of the termination at B?

Homework Equations

[itex]V_r = V_0 \frac{Z-Z_0}{Z+Z_0}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At A there will be a reflection because of the higher impedance. The reflection amplitude will be
[itex]V_r = 1\text{V} \frac{75-50\Omega}{75+50\Omega}=\frac{1}{5}\text{V}[/itex]

I agree with lewando. The question asks for the match at B, and that is just adding the 75 ohms in parallel with the 'scope.

hadoque said:
Ok, but putting a 25Ohm resistor in series between cable and generator would give a match at A aswell, right?

You can add this "back termination" resistor at A, but it does not do any matching in the forward direction. It is only useful if there is a [STRIKE]mismatch at A[/STRIKE] mismatch at B (like just the 'scope), because you will not get a re-reflection at A when the reflected wave comes back and sees 50+25=75 Ohms looking back into the signal generator.

Last edited:
Ok, I got a bit confused there, but now it's clear. Thanks

1. What is the purpose of terminating a 75Ohm cable?

The purpose of terminating a 75Ohm cable is to prevent signal reflections and maintain signal integrity. This is especially important in high-frequency applications where signal quality can be affected by any impedance mismatch.

2. How do I properly terminate a 75Ohm cable?

To properly terminate a 75Ohm cable, you will need a 75Ohm termination resistor or a 75Ohm terminator. This should be connected to the end of the cable, ensuring that the impedance is matched and there are no signal reflections.

3. What happens if I do not terminate a 75Ohm cable?

If a 75Ohm cable is not properly terminated, signal reflections can occur, leading to a decrease in signal quality. This can result in data errors, lower bandwidth, and other issues. It is important to always properly terminate a 75Ohm cable for optimal performance.

4. Can I use a 50Ohm termination for a 75Ohm cable?

No, 50Ohm and 75Ohm cables have different impedance values and using a 50Ohm termination on a 75Ohm cable will result in an impedance mismatch. This can lead to signal reflections and a decrease in signal quality.

5. Can I use any type of termination for a 75Ohm cable?

No, it is important to use a 75Ohm termination specifically designed for use with 75Ohm cables. Using the wrong type of termination can result in an impedance mismatch and affect signal quality. It is best to use the correct termination for optimal performance.