Properly Cleaning ITO Substrates for Organic Solar Cells: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter tufnatufna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cleaning
In summary, the conversation was about the procedure for cleaning ITO substrates for organic solar cells. The suggested procedure involved cleaning in a deionized water and detergent mixture, followed by ultrasonic baths with deionized water, ethanol, and acetone. However, it was suggested that ending in acetone may be causing the dirty spots on the substrates and it is recommended to end with the cleanest solvent, such as DI water.
tufnatufna
Hi

Could anyone tell me the procedure for the cleaning ITO substrates for organic solar cells?

This was my procedure, but I always had dirty spots on the glass and of course shortcuts in the cell.

1) cleaning in a deionized water + detergent (Hellmanex) mixture in ultrasonic bath (60 min)
2) 30min in deionized water in ultrasonic bath
3) then 30 min in ethanol (absolute) in ultrasonic bath
4) 15 min in acetone in ultrasonic bath
5) drying with nitrogen

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should not end in acetone.

Acetone tends to be a relatively dirty solvent, and if you put a drop of acetone on a microscope slide and let it evaporate you are likely to find a film left behind. This is probably the origin of the dirty spots you see on your substrates. It is best to end in your cleanest solvent, probably DI water in this case. I usually find good results with:
1) acetone
2) isopropanol
3) DI water
4) nitrogen dry

Thank you, I also thought it was a problem. I got such recipe and it was a reason why I was doing that way.

1. How do I prepare ITO substrates for cleaning?

The first step in preparing ITO substrates for cleaning is to remove any large debris or particles from the surface. This can be done with compressed air or a soft brush. Next, use a mild detergent solution or isopropyl alcohol to gently wipe the surface. Make sure to avoid using any harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as this can damage the ITO coating.

2. Can I use water to clean ITO substrates?

It is generally not recommended to use water to clean ITO substrates. Water contains minerals and other impurities that can leave residue on the surface. This can affect the performance of the ITO coating. If water must be used, it should be distilled or deionized.

3. How do I remove stubborn stains or marks from ITO substrates?

If mild detergent or isopropyl alcohol is not effective in removing stubborn stains or marks, a specialty cleaner designed for ITO substrates can be used. These cleaners are specifically formulated to be gentle on the ITO coating while still providing effective cleaning.

4. Do I need to wear gloves when handling ITO substrates?

It is recommended to wear gloves when handling ITO substrates to avoid leaving oils or fingerprints on the surface. These can interfere with the conductivity of the ITO coating. Additionally, gloves can protect the substrate from potential scratches or damage.

5. How often should I clean ITO substrates?

The frequency of cleaning ITO substrates will depend on the specific application and environment. In general, it is recommended to clean them before each use to ensure optimal performance. If the substrates are in a particularly dusty or dirty environment, they may need to be cleaned more frequently.

Back