Properties of gcd's and relatively prime integers

In summary, the conversation discusses using group/ring theory to prove that if gcd(a,b)=1 and c|ab, there exist integers r and s such that c=rs, r|a, s|b, and gcd(r,s)=1. The conversation also explores using Theorem 3 and a previous result to arrive at this conclusion.
Kiwi1
I am studying this in the context of group/ring theory, ideals etc. So I post it here and not in the number theory section.

6. Suppose gcd(a,b)=1 and c|ab. Prove That there exist integers r and s such that c=rs, r|a, s|b and gcd (r,s)=1.

One of my attempts:
From gcd(a,b)=1 there exist s',t' such that ar'+bs'=1 and from this:

gcd(a,b)=1
gcd(a,s')=1
gcd(r',b)=1
gcd(a,s')=1

I have the result: if gcd(a,c)=1 and gcd(b,c)=1 then gcd(ab,c)=1. I can use this to show:

gcd(ar',s')=1
gcd(bs',r')=1
gcd(bs',a)=1
gcd(ar',b)=1

This does not seem to be getting me far. I was hoping to show that c=r's'k for some k. and that r'k|a, s'k|b.

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the ring ? is it $\mathbb{Z}$ integers ?

Yes the ring is the integers.

For most of the problems so far I haven't needed to use anything more complicated than my Theorem 3 which says that the gcd of a and b can be expressed as a linear combination of a and b.

Some more thoughts. Actually I think I have solved it?

Let r = gcd(a,c) and s = gcd(b,c) then r|a, s|b, r|ab, s|ab and rs|ab

and there exist u,v,w,x: (ua+vc)*(wb+xc)=rs=uwab+uxac+vwbc+vxcc=u'ab+v'c for u'=uw, v'=uxa+vwb+vxc
or
rs=u'ab+v'c. Now since c|ab and c|c we conclude c|rs.

Let gcd(r,s)=k. r|a, s|b so their exist m,n,o,p: r=mk, s=nk, a=ro, b=ps. Therefore: a=mko and b=pnk so k divides both a and b.
Since gcd(a,b)=1 K|1 and it must be that k=1. i.e. gcd(r,s)=1.

Now r|c, s|c, gcd(r,s)=1 so using a previous result (question C3) rs|c.

Since rs|c and c|rs we get c=rs.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of the greatest common divisor (gcd)?

The greatest common divisor, also known as the greatest common factor, is the largest positive integer that divides two or more numbers without leaving a remainder. It is often denoted as gcd(a,b) or (a,b).

2. How do you find the gcd of two integers?

The most common method to find the gcd of two integers is by using the Euclidean algorithm. This involves dividing the larger number by the smaller number and finding the remainder. Then, the smaller number becomes the new divisor and the remainder becomes the new dividend. This process is repeated until the remainder is equal to 0, and the last non-zero remainder is the gcd.

3. What are the properties of gcd's?

There are several properties of gcd's, including the fact that gcd(a,b)=gcd(b,a) (commutative property), gcd(a,1)=1, and gcd(a,0)=a. Additionally, if a and b are relatively prime, then gcd(a,b)=1.

4. Can two relatively prime integers have a gcd other than 1?

No, two integers that are relatively prime will always have a gcd of 1. This is because the only common divisor of two relatively prime numbers is 1.

5. How are gcd's used in number theory?

Gcd's are often used in number theory to prove theorems and solve problems related to integers. They are also used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages. Additionally, gcd's are used in simplifying fractions and finding the lowest common denominator.