Properties of Light and its Relationship to Strength

In summary, violet produces the highest frequency while red produces the lowest frequency. Planck's Law E=hv tells us that violet would have the most energy.
nds34
I am curious to know using scientific information what color lightsaber is the strongest? I have done some minor research and cannot figure it out on my own. I have come up with that violet produces the highest frequency while red produces the lowest frequency. Using Planck's Law E=hv I gather that violet would have the most energy. I have also come in conflict with intensity that seems to show around 500 nm is the highest (I will provide a link to where I found this information).

So what I would liked answered...
a) What form of visible light would make the strongest lightsaber? Violet? Red? Yellow-Green? Other?
b) What about white and black? (Yes I know black is the absence of color)
c) Would another type of light be stronger for a lightsaber than visible light (i.e. gamma, radio)?

Please provide an explanation with your answers.

Link: http://fuse.pha.jhu.edu/~wpb/spectroscopy/basics.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize that 'lightsabers' aren't real, right?

Yes this is a theoretical question. You could take out the aspect of lightsabers and still answer the question.

nds34 said:
Yes this is a theoretical question. You could take out the aspect of lightsabers and still answer the question.

I don't think so - here are your questions:

nds34 said:
So what I would liked answered...
a) What form of visible light would make the strongest lightsaber? Violet? Red? Yellow-Green? Other?
b) What about white and black? (Yes I know black is the absence of color)
c) Would another type of light be stronger for a lightsaber than visible light (i.e. gamma, radio)?

All three of these are about lightsabers. If you have a question about light, can you state it clearly?

Let me rephrase my above question so that I can be taken seriously.
What visible color of light is the strongest? I am aware that strength is a vague characteristic when it comes to light so I most likely mean in terms of energy and intensity. In regards to energy as I previously stated, using Planck's Law E=hv I gather that violet would have the highest energy.
Now I am unfamiliar with intensity or if it even applies to my question and if there is a relationship of intensity to energy but I came across this statement: To find the intensity, take the energy density (that is, the energy per unit volume) and multiply it by the velocity at which the energy is moving. I take it that there is a relationship to energy here since it is mentioned but don't knwo how it applies or if it can even be determined. Anyways I saw that at around 500 nm in the visible light spectrum that the intensity is the highest. I do not know how this can be with violet having the highest frequency. Please compare the relationship between energy and intensity. Does one outweight the other when it comes to strength?
I am trying to be as clear as possible and this is a serious question. If there is something I am unclear about please let me know what that is so I can explain better. Part C can be taken out of the question.

Yes I'll rephrase:
a) What form of visible light is the strongest?
b) What about white and black? Where do they lie in terms of strength? (Yes I know black is the absence of color)

My question was answered elsewhere. Thanks anyway.

nds34 said:
Let me rephrase my above question so that I can be taken seriously.

nds34 said:
My question was answered elsewhere. Thanks anyway.

Glad we could help! :biggrin:

Related to Properties of Light and its Relationship to Strength

What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that can be perceived by the human eye. It is composed of particles called photons and has both wave-like and particle-like properties.

How does light travel?

Light travels in a straight line at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It can also travel through different mediums such as air, water, and glass, but its speed and direction may be affected by these mediums.

What are the properties of light?

The properties of light include wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and polarization. These properties determine the color, brightness, and direction of light.

What is the relationship between light and strength?

The relationship between light and strength refers to the ability of light to affect the strength or durability of materials. For example, exposure to certain wavelengths of light can cause materials to weaken or degrade over time.

How does light affect the human body?

Light plays a crucial role in regulating the human body's circadian rhythm, which controls our sleep-wake cycle. Exposure to certain wavelengths of light can also affect our mood, energy levels, and overall well-being.