Properties of materials like rubber bands

In summary, soft noodles do not behave like calamari squid and they break easily. Rubber bands provide an interesting contrast to springs. The compression properties of rubber versus metal springs can be compared and analyzed.
shk
Homework Statement
The question has been attached here .
Relevant Equations
The question does not need any equations. It requires to know some definitions.
For example:
Rubber bands provide an interesting contrast to springs. On stretching, they do not obey Hooke’s law very precisely. On unloading, they show hysteresis.
I appreciate some helps with this question.
I understand that soft noodles is not as strong as calamari squid and breaks easily . I also know that that calamari squid does not have elastic behaviour since behaves like rubber band and it goes back to it's original shape after reloading. But I'm still very confused about answering this question.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201213-195540_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20201213-195540_WhatsApp.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Love
Likes Delta2 and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
shk said:
Rubber bands provide an interesting contrast to springs. On stretching, they do not obey Hooke’s law very precisely. On unloading, they show hysteresis.
I think you are on the right track with this statement. Can you say more about how the behavior of rubber bands is different from springs? Also, chewing squid is a compressive motion -- does rubber also behave differently from metal springs in the compression direction? How so?

Likes shk
That's an "interesting" question!
I think I'd use a diagram (a graph) to help me. You can use a lot of the "correct technical terms" by labelling.

Likes shk
Merlin3189 said:
That's an "interesting" question!
I think I'd use a diagram (a graph) to help me. You can use a lot of the "correct technical terms" by labelling.
Thank you for the reply.
I understand how the force extention graphs for rubber band and spring are.
I've attached them here.
I know that reloading spring is different before and after it passes the linear part.
But I cannot still answer the question.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-010036_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-010036_Chrome.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20201214-010328_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-010328_Chrome.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 84
You are still not addressing the question. Contrast the compressive properties of rubber versus metal springs. Please do that now.

Also, the question asks about a material that is not springy at all. What are your thoughts about that part?

1607908881978.png

berkeman said:
You are still not addressing the question. Contrast the compressive properties of rubber versus metal springs. Please do that now.

Also, the question asks about a material that is not springy at all. What are your thoughts about that part?

View attachment 274251
In this question we need to compare calamari squid with soft noodles.
Calamari behaves like rubber band so after chewing and let's say reloading, it will come back to its original shape , unless the pressure from chewing is a lot and exceeds a certain point so it breaks.
Soft noodles behaves very similarly but that limit is much lower so it breaks with a very smaller force.
This is all I can say.

Likes berkeman
shk said:
In this question we need to compare calamari squid with soft noodles.
Calamari behaves like rubber band so after chewing and let's say reloading, it will come back to its original shape , unless the pressure from chewing is a lot and exceeds a certain point so it breaks.
Soft noodles behaves very similarly but that limit is much lower so it breaks with a very smaller force.
This is all I can say.
That works for me. All that you need to add for the problem is some analysis using technical terms. What can you say about any Stress/Strain analysis of the noodles versus rubber bands or squid? The noodles break down with a lot less force, no?

berkeman said:
That works for me. All that you need to add for the problem is some analysis using technical terms. What can you say about any Stress/Strain analysis of the noodles versus rubber bands or squid? The noodles break down with a lot less force, no?
I would say the noodles break with a lot less force which means the stress strain graph is much lower . For both graphs we have the same shape that we have for rubber band which is a none linear graph. I've attached the loading reloading graph for you. Both soft noodles and calamari squid have similar shape graph as rubber band.
Am I correct ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-010036_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-010036_Chrome.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 112
Likes berkeman
shk said:
For both graphs we have the same shape that we have for rubber band
For the calamari, that is sort of right, but you are supposed to be considering biting into it, not pulling it, so the axis should be compression, not extension. Also, it is important to show the failure trajectory, where the bite does irreparable damage to the morsel. What happens to the resistive force in this case?

For the soft noodles, one key difference is that the elastic range is so short as to be almost nonexistent. Another is how the resistance varies (or doesn't) once plastic phase is reached.

• Informative
Likes shk
Thanks for the reply. Do you think what I'd said about the graphs was ok then ?
in the terms of failure trajectory, I would say that the Calamari has more plastic deformation in compare with soft noodles. not sure what else I can say.
I'm not sure what you mean but resistive force though. I think I only need to compare the properties of these and say which is for example tough or whatever else.
I appreciate it if you can help a bit more.

I'm still not sure how to answer this question .

shk said:
Thanks for the reply. Do you think what I'd said about the graphs was ok then ?
in the terms of failure trajectory, I would say that the Calamari has more plastic deformation in compare with soft noodles. not sure what else I can say.
I'm not sure what you mean but resistive force though. I think I only need to compare the properties of these and say which is for example tough or whatever else.
I appreciate it if you can help a bit more.

I'm still not sure how to answer this question .
I'd need to see your actual graphs to comment on them.
The rubberiness of calamari means it has a greater elastic range of deformation.
But the other distinction I would make is in regards to what happens once it starts to yield. As you bite into calamari, does the resistance rise to a maximum and stay there? What about soft noodles?

• Informative
Likes shk
This thread opened my apetite. I am hungry now !

Likes shk
haruspex said:
I'd need to see your actual graphs to comment on them.
The rubberiness of calamari means it has a greater elastic range of deformation.
But the other distinction I would make is in regards to what happens once it starts to yield. As you bite into calamari, does the resistance rise to a maximum and stay there? What about soft noodles?
I think for the soft noodles , reaches to a maximum and then quickly breaks. for the calamari reaches to a maximum but it will still carry on deforming since it has plastic deformation. I am not very sure about the graphs though. I have attached what i think should be close.
I also need the answer for today please.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20201214_112753.jpg
    20201214_112753.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 104
My comment that the question is "interesting" was based on the proverbial curse, "may you live in interesting times!" It is interesting, but rather like turbulence supposedly was for Einstein.

I do not know what the properties of soft noodles are, as I've never done the experiments. I did find someone had done a relevant(tongue in cheek?) experiment on pasta. Calamari is even less familiar, though I do have plenty of rubber bands to chew on.
So I can't really tell you what the properties of the materials are and, I think, whoever set the question probably did not expect you to have much more than a general notion about it yourself. What IMO they are looking for is your understanding of material properties and its nomenclature. So if you describe your relevant beliefs about calamari, noodles and perhaps rubber, either in words or in graphs, then apply the appropriate technical terms to show you understand what they mean, I think you'll succeed even with little accurate knowledge of the materials themselves.

Likes shk and Delta2
shk said:
I think for the soft noodles , reaches to a maximum and then quickly breaks. for the calamari reaches to a maximum but it will still carry on deforming since it has plastic deformation. I am not very sure about the graphs though. I have attached what i think should be close.
I also need the answer for today please.
Thank you
I would have said the resistance from soft noodles quickly reaches a (low) maximum and stays there. Its deformation is plastic almost from the start, so the force it exerts on your teeth drops to zero as soon as you stop biting.
The calamari has a much longer elastic phase, but once your teeth have started to go through it I believe it will break quite quickly, the resistance falling away.

• Informative
Likes shk
haruspex said:
I would have said the resistance from soft noodles quickly reaches a (low) maximum and stays there. Its deformation is plastic almost from the start, so the force it exerts on your teeth drops to zero as soon as you stop biting.
The calamari has a much longer elastic phase, but once your teeth have started to go through it I believe it will break quite quickly, the resistance falling away.
Thank you very much.
So in a few words I can say that the behaviour of soft noodles is plastic whereas the behaviour of Calamari is elastic. Plus calamari is strong but soft noodles are weak . Is this corect ? Or should I use other terms instead of strong and weak?

Can I also say

shk said:
Thank you very much.
So in a few words I can say that the behaviour of soft noodles is plastic whereas the behaviour of Calamari is elastic. Plus calamari is strong but soft noodles are weak . Is this corect ? Or should I use other terms instead of strong and weak?

Can I also say
That is all reasonable.

• Informative
Likes shk
haruspex said:
That is all reasonable.

Thank you very much.
You have been very patient with me and answered all my questions.
I think I now understand this question very well.

1. What is the chemical composition of rubber bands?

Rubber bands are made primarily of a polymer called polyisoprene, which is a long chain of repeating isoprene units. Other materials such as fillers, plasticizers, and antioxidants may also be added to improve the strength and durability of the rubber band.

2. What gives rubber bands their elasticity?

The long chains of polyisoprene molecules in rubber bands are able to stretch and return to their original shape due to the presence of cross-linking. This is when the chains are linked together by sulfur atoms, creating a network that allows the rubber band to stretch and bounce back.

3. How are rubber bands made?

Rubber bands are typically made through a process called vulcanization, where raw rubber is mixed with other materials such as sulfur and heated to high temperatures. This causes the rubber to become more durable and elastic, making it suitable for use as a rubber band.

4. What are the properties of rubber bands?

Rubber bands have several properties that make them useful in a variety of applications. These include elasticity, flexibility, durability, and resistance to heat and chemicals. They are also able to stretch to several times their original length and return to their original shape.

5. What are some common uses for rubber bands?

Rubber bands have a wide range of uses, including holding items together, securing objects, and providing tension in various devices. They are commonly used in office settings to hold documents and in packaging to secure items. They are also used in various industries such as agriculture, healthcare, and manufacturing.