Properties of Solutions of Matrix ODEs

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and uniqueness of solutions for a given ODE and how to show that two solutions satisfy a certain relationship. It also explores the idea of a constant matrix as a solution and the potential limitations of using a formula for solving a non-constant matrix.
MxwllsPersuasns

Homework Statement

We assume from ODE theory that given a smooth A: I → gl(n;R) there exists a
unique smooth solution F : I → gl(n;R), defined on the same interval I on which
A is defined, of the initial value problem F' = FA and F(t0) = F0 ∈ gl(n;R) given.(i) Show that two solutions Fi : I → GL(n;R) of the ODE F' = FA satisfy
F2 = CF1 for a constant invertible matrix C ∈ GL(n;R).(ii) Show that for A a constant matrix F(t) = exp(tA) is a solution of F' = FA(iii) If A: I → gl(n;R) is not constant, why is F(t) = exp(∫A(s)ds [from t0 to t]) not
solving F' = FA, or is it? Explain.

Homework Equations

F' = FA then...
|F|' = tr(A)*|F| where |...| signifies the determinant

The Attempt at a Solution

i) I recall once I needed to show the uniqueness of the solutions for a standard complex valued ODE and the solution was given as something like z(t) = z0exp(of an integral) and I wanted to show that w(t) was also a solution. If I recall correctly someone told me to differentiate the ratio of the two (z(t)/w(t)) and I found that it ended up equaling zero or something like that and that showed there was only a constant difference between them or something like that? Can anyone help here.. I'm not sure if this is the right way to show F1 and F2 are actually separate solutions.

ii) For this part I would assume that since we are given the solution we can just plug it into the DE and show that it works, correct?

iii) Would this be because when A is constant it can be taken out of the exp in a nice and easy way when exp(...) is differentiated? I have a feeling there's more to this and ii) but I can't think of anything more complex than just trying the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
MxwllsPersuasns said:

Homework Statement

We assume from ODE theory that given a smooth A: I → gl(n;R) there exists a
unique smooth solution F : I → gl(n;R), defined on the same interval I on which
A is defined, of the initial value problem F' = FA and F(t0) = F0 ∈ gl(n;R) given.(i) Show that two solutions Fi : I → GL(n;R) of the ODE F' = FA satisfy
F2 = CF1 for a constant invertible matrix C ∈ GL(n;R).(ii) Show that for A a constant matrix F(t) = exp(tA) is a solution of F' = FA(iii) If A: I → gl(n;R) is not constant, why is F(t) = exp(∫A(s)ds [from t0 to t]) not
solving F' = FA, or is it? Explain.

Homework Equations

F' = FA then...
|F|' = tr(A)*|F| where |...| signifies the determinant

The Attempt at a Solution

i) I recall once I needed to show the uniqueness of the solutions for a standard complex valued ODE and the solution was given as something like z(t) = z0exp(of an integral) and I wanted to show that w(t) was also a solution. If I recall correctly someone told me to differentiate the ratio of the two (z(t)/w(t)) and I found that it ended up equaling zero or something like that and that showed there was only a constant difference between them or something like that? Can anyone help here.. I'm not sure if this is the right way to show F1 and F2 are actually separate solutions.

ii) For this part I would assume that since we are given the solution we can just plug it into the DE and show that it works, correct?

iii) Would this be because when A is constant it can be taken out of the exp in a nice and easy way when exp(...) is differentiated? I have a feeling there's more to this and ii) but I can't think of anything more complex than just trying the solution.

My guess for (iii): the formula given might not be a solution if ##A(s_1)## and ##A(s_2)## do not commute when ##s_1 \neq s_2##, and the formula might be a solution when they do commute for all ##0 \leq s_2 < s_2 \leq t##. Certainly, the matrices ## t A## for constant matrix ##A## and different values of ##t## do commute; and we can verify by direct differentiation that ##F(t) = \exp(t A)## solves ##F' = F A = A F##.

1. What are the properties of solutions of matrix ODEs?

The properties of solutions of matrix ODEs depend on the specific ODE and the properties of the matrix involved. However, some general properties include linear combinations of solutions being solutions, the existence of a unique solution given initial conditions, and the solution being continuously differentiable with respect to the initial conditions.

2. How do you solve matrix ODEs?

The general method for solving matrix ODEs is to first rewrite the ODE as a system of first-order ODEs, then use techniques such as the variation of parameters, the method of undetermined coefficients, or matrix exponential methods to find the solution.

3. Can matrix ODEs have multiple solutions?

Yes, matrix ODEs can have multiple solutions. However, if the ODE is linear and the initial conditions are given, there will be a unique solution. Multiple solutions may occur if the initial conditions are not specified or if the ODE is nonlinear.

4. What is the difference between a matrix ODE and a scalar ODE?

A scalar ODE involves a single variable and its derivatives, while a matrix ODE involves a matrix and its derivatives. This means that the solution to a matrix ODE will be a matrix, while the solution to a scalar ODE will be a single function.

5. What are some real-world applications of matrix ODEs?

Matrix ODEs have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include modeling the spread of diseases, analyzing population growth, and studying the behavior of electrical circuits.