Properties of symmetric magnetic field around ##Z## axis (cylinder)

In summary, cylindrical symmetry around the z-axis means that the magnetic or electric field depends only on the distance from the z-axis, and not on the angle or height. This does not necessarily mean that the field is in the ##\hat\phi## direction or that it is zero. However, in the case of cylindrical symmetry, the derivative of the field with respect to the angle will always be zero. Examples of fields with cylindrical symmetry that are not zero in the ##\hat\phi## direction include the magnetic field of an infinitely long thin wire and the electric field of an infinitely long thin charge density.
sagigever
I am trying to understand but without a succes why symmetric magnetic field around ##Z## axis make that ##\hat \phi## magnetic field is zero
I can't understand why it physically happens and also how can I derive it mathematically?
What does the word symmetric means when talking about magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cylindrical symmetry around z-axis essentially means that the field depends only on ##\rho## (and possibly ##z## but not ##\phi##). It doesn't necessarily means that it is in the ##\hat\phi## direction or that it is zero.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Cylindrical symmetry around z-axis essentially means that the field depends only on ##\rho## (and possibly ##z## but not ##\phi##). It doesn't necessarily means that it is in the ##\hat\phi## direction or that it is zero.

can you give me example when it not zero in ##\hat \phi##?

ohh so you mean that it can have component in the ##\phi## direction, but the derivative with respect to ##\phi## will always be zero?

sagigever said:
can you give me example when it not zero in ##\hat \phi##?

ohh so you mean that it can have component in the ##\phi## direction, but the derivative with respect to ##\phi## will always be zero?
yes. An example where we have cylindrical symmetry and the field is not zero (however its in the ##\hat\phi## direction) is the magnetic field of an infinitely long thin wire that lies at the z-axis and carries current I. Then the field is $$\mathbf{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi r}I\hat\phi$$. As you can see it depends only on ##r## (not on ##\phi## or ##z##) and it is not zero.

Likes sagigever
An example of a cylindrical symmetric field that is in the ##\hat\rho## direction is that of the electric field of an infinitely long thin charge density ##\lambda## that lies again in the z-axis. The Electric field is given by
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0\rho}\hat\rho$$.

What is a symmetric magnetic field?

A symmetric magnetic field is a type of magnetic field in which the strength and direction of the magnetic field is the same at all points along a specific axis. In other words, the magnetic field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

How is the symmetric magnetic field around the ##Z## axis of a cylinder determined?

The symmetric magnetic field around the ##Z## axis of a cylinder can be determined using the Biot-Savart law, which calculates the magnetic field at a point due to a current-carrying wire. The formula for the magnetic field around a cylinder is B = (μ0I/2πr), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the axis of the cylinder.

What are the properties of a symmetric magnetic field around the ##Z## axis of a cylinder?

The properties of a symmetric magnetic field around the ##Z## axis of a cylinder include uniform strength and direction, circular magnetic field lines, and an inverse relationship between the strength of the field and the distance from the axis of the cylinder.

How does the strength of the symmetric magnetic field around the ##Z## axis change with distance from the cylinder?

The strength of the symmetric magnetic field around the ##Z## axis of a cylinder decreases as the distance from the cylinder increases. This is due to the inverse relationship between the strength of the field and the distance from the axis, as described by the Biot-Savart law.

What are some practical applications of a symmetric magnetic field around the ##Z## axis of a cylinder?

Some practical applications of a symmetric magnetic field around the ##Z## axis of a cylinder include magnetic levitation, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and particle accelerators. Additionally, this type of magnetic field is commonly used in electromagnets and in the design of electric motors.