Property of correlation coefficient

In summary, the correlation coefficient (\rho) is a measure of the relationship between two variables, X and Y. It ranges from -1 to 1, with values close to 1 indicating a strong positive relationship. The given problem asks to prove that if the probability of Y being equal to aX + b is equal to 1, then the correlation coefficient between X and Y is 1. To prove this, one must show that Y equals aX + b when the correlation coefficient is 1, and that the correlation coefficient is 1 when Y equals aX + b.
Max.Planck

Homework Statement

Prove the following:
Let [tex]\rho[/tex] be the correlation coefficient.
Prove:
[tex] \rho(X, Y) = 1 \iff P(Y=aX+b) = 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \rho(X, Y) = cov(X,Y)/\sigma_x\sigma_y [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to prove this, I know that rho must lie between 1 and -1 (inclusive) and that values close to 1 indicate that high values of X must go with high values of Y. But I don't know how to formally prove the above problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump. I can't believe nobody hasn't proven or seen the proof of this.

As this is an if and only if, you must prove both ways, I suggest starting with
[tex] P(Y=aX+b)=1 \ \ \implies \ \ \rho(X,Y) = 1[/tex]

Now as the probability is one, you can start with
[tex] Y=aX+b[/tex]

Now assume you know [itex] \mu_X, \sigma_x [/itex] and calculate [itex] \rho(X,Y)[/itex]

The other direction may be slightly trickier, but you should get some good insights from the first exercise

Related to Property of correlation coefficient

What is a correlation coefficient?

A correlation coefficient is a statistical measure that indicates the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. It ranges from -1 to 1, with 0 indicating no relationship and values closer to 1 or -1 indicating a strong positive or negative relationship, respectively.

How is correlation coefficient calculated?

Correlation coefficient is calculated by dividing the covariance of two variables by the product of their standard deviations. This can also be expressed as the sum of the products of the standardized values of the two variables.

What does a correlation coefficient of 0 mean?

A correlation coefficient of 0 means that there is no relationship between the two variables being studied. This does not necessarily mean that there is no relationship at all, but rather that there is no linear relationship between the two variables.

Can correlation coefficient determine causation?

No, correlation coefficient only measures the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. It cannot determine causation, as there may be other factors at play that are causing the observed relationship between the two variables.

What are the limitations of correlation coefficient?

Correlation coefficient only measures linear relationships and does not account for non-linear relationships. Additionally, it does not consider the potential influence of other variables that may be affecting the relationship between the two variables being studied. It is also important to note that correlation does not necessarily imply causation.