Proposition-Set of integer p-adics

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary: So, in the end, we can say that $I = p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$.Next, we look at the canonical projection $\pi$ which maps elements in $\mathbb{Z}_p$ to elements in $\mathbb{Z}/p^{n+1}\mathbb{Z}$. This map is surjective, meaning that every element in $\mathbb{Z}/p^{n+1}\mathbb{Z}$ has an element in $\mathbb{Z}_p$ that maps to it. The kernel of this map, or the elements in $\mathbb{Z}_p$ that map to $0$ in $\mathbb{Z}/p^{n+
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave) Proposition:
"$\mathbb{Z}_p$ contains only the ideals $0$ and $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$ for $n \in \mathbb{N}_0$. It holds $\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb{N}_0} p^n \mathbb{Z}_p=0$ and $\mathbb{Z}_p \ p^n\mathbb{Z}_p \cong \mathbb{Z} \ p^n \mathbb{Z}$.
Especially $p\mathbb{Z}_p$ is the only maximal ideal."Proof:

We will show that $\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb{N}_0} p^n \mathbb{Z}_p=0$.
If $x=(\overline{x_k}) \in p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$, then it is $0=x_k \in \mathbb{Z}/p^{k+1}\mathbb{Z}$ for $k<n$. Therefore it holds for a $x$ $x_k=0$ for all $k \in \mathbb{N}_0$, thus $x=0$.
Now let any ideal $I \neq 0$. From $\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb{N}_0} p^n \mathbb{Z}_p=0$ it follows that there is a $n \in \mathbb{N}_0$ with $I \subseteq p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$, but $I \nsubseteq p^{n+1}\mathbb{Z}_p$.
We claim that $I=p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$. From $I \nsubseteq p^{n+1}\mathbb{Z}_p$ follows the existence of a $x=p^nu \in I$ with $u \in \mathbb{Z}_p^{\star}$. Thus it holds $p^n \in I$ and so $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p \subseteq I$.
Since the other inclusion depends on the choice of $n$, we have $I=p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$.

Now we consider the canonical projection

$$\pi: \mathbb{Z}_p \subseteq \Pi_{k \in \mathbb{N}_0} \mathbb{Z}/p^{k+1}\mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}/ p^n \mathbb{Z}$$

It is obviously surjective since $\overline{x_{n-1}} \in \mathbb{Z}/p^n \mathbb{Z}$ is the image of $x_{n-1} \in \mathbb{Z}_p$. The kernel of $\pi$ is an ideal and thus of the form $ker \pi=p^l \mathbb{Z}_p$. Since $\pi(p^k)=0$ exactly then when $k \geq n$, it holds $ker \pi=p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$. From the fundamental theorem on homomorphisms we get that $\mathbb{Z}_p/ p^n \mathbb{Z}_p \cong \mathbb{Z}/p^n \mathbb{Z}$. Could you maybe explain to me the above proof? (Thinking)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Sure! Let's break it down step by step.

First, we want to show that the only ideals in $\mathbb{Z}_p$ are $0$ and $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$ for $n \in \mathbb{N}_0$. To do this, we will show that the intersection of all of these ideals is just $0$. In other words, any element that is in all of these ideals must be $0$.

Next, we assume that $x$ is an element in $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$, which is the ideal generated by $p^n$ in $\mathbb{Z}_p$. This means that $x$ can be written as $x = (\overline{x_k})$ where $\overline{x_k}$ is the image of $x_k$ in $\mathbb{Z}/p^{k+1}\mathbb{Z}$ (the quotient ring of $\mathbb{Z}$ modulo $p^{k+1}$). We know that $x_k = 0$ for all $k < n$, otherwise $x$ would not be in $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$. Therefore, $x_k$ must be $0$ for all values of $k$, meaning that $x$ itself must be $0$.

Now, let's consider any ideal $I$ that is not $0$. From our previous result, we know that there exists some $n \in \mathbb{N}_0$ such that $I \subseteq p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$. However, we also know that $I \nsubseteq p^{n+1}\mathbb{Z}_p$. This means that there must be an element in $I$ that is not in $p^{n+1}\mathbb{Z}_p$. We can call this element $x = p^nu$, where $u$ is a unit (meaning that $u$ has an inverse in $\mathbb{Z}_p$). This means that $p^n$ must be in $I$.

Since $p^n$ is in $I$, we can say that $p^n \mathbb{Z}_p \subseteq I$. The other direction, $I \subseteq p^n \mathbb{Z}_p$, is a bit more tricky. It depends on the choice of $

1. What is a p-adic number?

A p-adic number is a type of mathematical number that is based on the number p, which is a prime number. It is expressed as an infinite sequence of digits, where each digit can range from 0 to p-1. This number system is particularly useful for studying numbers in the context of number theory and algebraic geometry.

2. What is a proposition-set of integer p-adics?

A proposition-set of integer p-adics is a set of p-adic numbers that satisfy a certain proposition or statement. This set can be finite or infinite, and it is often used in mathematical proofs and constructions.

3. How are proposition-sets of integer p-adics used in mathematics?

Proposition-sets of integer p-adics are used in various branches of mathematics, such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and mathematical logic. They are particularly useful for studying number systems and their properties, as well as for constructing mathematical objects and proofs.

4. Can proposition-sets of integer p-adics be applied in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, proposition-sets of integer p-adics can be applied in other fields, such as computer science and physics. In computer science, they can be used for data encryption and coding theory. In physics, they have applications in quantum mechanics and string theory.

5. How do proposition-sets of integer p-adics differ from other number systems?

Proposition-sets of integer p-adics differ from other number systems, such as the real numbers or complex numbers, in several ways. They have a different representation and follow different rules for arithmetic operations. Additionally, they have unique properties, such as being non-Archimedean and having a dense subset of rationals.