Proteins synthesized in a cell

In summary, soluble proteins meant to remain in the cytoplasm are synthesized in the rough endoplasmic reticulum (ER) and then transported to the Golgi for packaging before being sent to other parts of the cell. Membrane proteins meant to remain in the cell membrane also follow this pathway. For proteins meant to be secreted outside the cell, they are also synthesized in the rough ER and then moved to the Golgi for packaging. From there, they are transported outside the cell. The rough ER is responsible for protein synthesis due to the presence of ribosomes on its surface.
bard
I have been asked to describe the pathway the following types of proteins follow and where they are synthesized in the cell.

(a) Soluble proteins meant to remain in cytoplasm-

Here wouldn't this follow the pathway cytoplasm-ER-golgi-exocytosis\

(b) membrane proteins meant to remain in cell membrane

this would follow cytoplam-ER-Golgi-plasma membrane

(c) soluble proteins meant to be secreted in the cell

this should follow same as (a)

Now, I am not sure if this is right or if i have adequatley described the pathway. Thanks. o:)

Biology news on Phys.org
In (a), if they are supposed to remain in the cytoplasm, why would they be exocytosed? Check your definition of exocytosis.

In (b), how are they getting from the golgi to the plasma membrane?

For (c), check the wording of the question. Does it really say secreted in the cell, or does it say secreted from or by the cell?

For all three:
Why did you start with cytoplasm?
Specify which type of ER.
In which organelle is the actual synthesis occurring?

Whether required for the assignment or not, be sure you can give a brief description of what is happening in each organelle where proteins are being processed.

Moonbear said:
In (a), if they are supposed to remain in the cytoplasm, why would they be exocytosed? Check your definition of exocytosis.

In (b), how are they getting from the golgi to the plasma membrane?

For (c), check the wording of the question. Does it really say secreted in the cell, or does it say secreted from or by the cell?

For all three:
Why did you start with cytoplasm?
Specify which type of ER.
In which organelle is the actual synthesis occurring?

Whether required for the assignment or not, be sure you can give a brief description of what is happening in each organelle where proteins are being processed.

Actually, for C, it says secreted outisde the cell. Then I believe it would follow the same pathway, Cytoplasm-ER(synthesis of soluble proteins)-Golgi-(the packaging) and then from there sent to other parts of body. And for A, is it that it will stay in the cytoplasm where there are ribosomes that willk sythensize it. I am a bit confused

bard said:
Actually, for C, it says secreted outisde the cell. Then I believe it would follow the same pathway, Cytoplasm-ER(synthesis of soluble proteins)-Golgi-(the packaging) and then from there sent to other parts of body.

You already have that proteins are synthesized in the ER, so does it make sense to you that would they start out in the cytoplasm if they haven't been synthesized yet?

To be secreted outside the cell, after they've been packaged by the golgi, they are still inside the cell. How do they get out of the cell?

And for A, is it that it will stay in the cytoplasm where there are ribosomes that willk sythensize it. I am a bit confused

If the protein is synthesized in the ER, why would it need to be synthesized again in the cytoplasm?

However, you are right that ribosomes are involved in the synthesis, but at what step? Do you know the difference between smooth and rough ER?

Yes I know that it is the rough endoplasmic reticulum that is involved in protein synthesis

bard said:
Yes I know that it is the rough endoplasmic reticulum that is involved in protein synthesis

And do you know why it's called "rough"? In other words, what makes it look rough?

The ribosomes are what make it look rough I believe

bard said:
The ribosomes are what make it look rough I believe

Right. So when the protein is being synthesized in the ER, that's where and when the ribosomes are doing their job.

So then all three instances would have to pass through the rough ER?

Related to Proteins synthesized in a cell

1. What is the function of proteins in a cell?

Proteins have various functions in a cell, including structural support, catalyzing chemical reactions, transporting molecules, and regulating gene expression.

2. How are proteins synthesized in a cell?

Proteins are synthesized through a process called translation, where the genetic information from DNA is used to produce a specific sequence of amino acids. This process occurs in the ribosomes with the help of transfer RNA (tRNA) and messenger RNA (mRNA).

3. What is the role of ribosomes in protein synthesis?

Ribosomes are responsible for assembling amino acids into a polypeptide chain according to the instructions provided by mRNA. They act as the site of protein synthesis in the cell.

4. Can proteins be synthesized without the presence of DNA?

No, proteins cannot be synthesized without the presence of DNA. DNA contains the genetic information that is necessary for protein synthesis. However, certain viruses can produce proteins without the presence of DNA by taking over the host cell's machinery.

5. How is the sequence of amino acids determined during protein synthesis?

The sequence of amino acids in a protein is determined by the sequence of nucleotides in mRNA. Each codon (a sequence of three nucleotides) corresponds to a specific amino acid, and the order of codons determines the order of amino acids in the protein.