Proton Bombardment Work and Energy

In summary, the problem involves a proton with mass 1.67 x 10^-27 kg being propelled toward a stationary uranium nucleus with a force of magnitude F=α/x^2. The goal is to find the speed of the proton when it is a certain distance away from the nucleus, as well as how close the proton gets to the nucleus before being repelled. The attempt at a solution involved using the given equations and applying initial conditions, but did not result in the correct answer.
am13

Homework Statement

A proton with mass 1.67 x 10^-27 kg is propelled at an initial speed of 3.00x10^5 m/s directly toward a uranium nucleus 5.00 away. The proton is repelled by the uranium nucleus with a force of magnitude F=α/x^2, where x is the separation between the two objects and α = 2.12 x 10^-26 N*m^2. Assume that the uranium nucleus remains at rest.

A)What is the speed of the proton when it is from the uranium nucleus?

B)As the proton approaches the uranium nucleus, the repulsive force slows down the proton until it comes momentarily to rest, after which the proton moves away from the uranium nucleus. How close to the uranium nucleus does the proton get?

Homework Equations

v22=vv[2/SUB]+2ad
F=α/x^2 (given)
Fd=KE2-KE1
KE = .5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I got that the distance equaled 5-8*10^-10 = 5 m, and I tried using that distance times the force (found with the given equation), to find the work and I set that equal to the the change in Kinetic energy, and tried to find the second velocity. But this did not get me the right answer. For b) I tried the sae approach, but plugged in the known velocities, canceling out KE2 because v = 0 there, and still didn't get the right answer. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In A) at what distance from the nucleus the speed is needed?

In a), the proton is 8.00 x 10-10m from the uranium nucleus

F = m*a = α/x^2
So a = 1/m( α/x^2)
or dv/dx = 1/m( α/x^2)
dv = 1/m( α/x^2)*dx.
Find the integration. To find the constant of integration apply the initial condition. i.e. when x = 0, vo is the initial velocity of the proton.

before I took the derivative of the equation, I plugged in the mass, since it's a constant, as well as what "α" is, and I got that a=(1.27*10^-19)(x^-2). I took the derivative of it and got that velocity equals -1.27*10^-19(x^-1) on the integral of 5 to 8.00*10^-10 m. I got the answer to be -1.59*10^-10, which is the wrong answer. Can you see what I did wrong?

Here you are not taking derivative anywhere. Don't put the values initially.
Find the integration of dv to find v. Now put the values.

Related to Proton Bombardment Work and Energy

1. What is proton bombardment work and energy?

Proton bombardment work and energy is a process in which high-energy protons are directed at a target material in order to induce nuclear reactions and release energy.

2. How does proton bombardment work and energy differ from other forms of energy production?

Unlike traditional forms of energy production such as fossil fuels or nuclear fission, proton bombardment work and energy does not produce harmful greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste. It also has the potential to produce large amounts of energy in a relatively small space.

3. Which materials are commonly used as targets for proton bombardment work and energy?

Common target materials for proton bombardment work and energy include hydrogen, lithium, and boron. These elements have a high potential for energy production through nuclear reactions with protons.

4. What are the potential applications of proton bombardment work and energy?

Proton bombardment work and energy has potential applications in the fields of power generation, medical isotope production, and space propulsion. It could also be used in the development of new materials and for basic research in nuclear physics.

5. What are the safety considerations for proton bombardment work and energy?

As with any form of nuclear energy, safety is a primary concern for proton bombardment work and energy. Special precautions must be taken to ensure the safe handling and storage of target materials and to prevent the release of radiation. However, compared to other forms of nuclear energy, proton bombardment work and energy has a lower risk of accidents and releases of radioactive material.