Prove Differentiability of g(x) at x1: mx1+b=x0

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: You can also prove this using the definition, but it will be longer and more tedious.In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a function f is differentiable at x0 and g(x)=f(mx+b), then g(x) is also differentiable at x1 where mx1+b=x0. The proof involves using the definition of differentiability and the chain rule. It is also mentioned that this proof can be used to prove that f'(x)=nm(mx+b)^{n-1} if f(x)=(mx+b)^{n}, using the property that \frac{d}{dx}f(x) = nx^{n-1}.
John O' Meara
Suppose that a function f is differentiable at x0 and define g(x)=f(mx+b), where m and b are constants. Prove that if x1 is a point at which mx1+b=x0, then g(x) is differentiable at x1 and g'(x1)=mf'(x0).
Definition: A function f is said to be "differentiable at x0" if the limit
[tex] f'(x_{0})= lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_{0}+h)-f(x_{0})}{h}[/tex]
exists. If f is differentiable at each point of the open interval(a,b), then we say that f is "differentiable on (a,b)", and similarily for open intervals of the form [tex] (a,+\infty),(-\infty,b)and (-\infty,+\infty)[/tex]. In the last case we say f is "differentiable everywhere". I think this is a simple proof, but since I am doing this no my own with a book that doesn't do too many example proofs, I am lost. g(x1) = f(mx1+b) = f(x0), which I think proves the limit of g(x1) exists but g'(x1)=? Thanks for the help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think they want you to do it from the definition. I.e. show that the limit of
[tex]
\frac{g(x_{1}+h)-g(x_{1})}{h}
[/tex]
for h to zero exists by substituting the definition of g and using that the appropriate limit for f exists.

Sorry, if I gave the wrong impression, but the definition I included myself thinking it relevant. The definition was not part of the original question.

If you don't want to use the definition, you can directly prove if from the chain rule, I suppose.

I checked the proof from the definition, it works out nicely. Just remember to bring the limit you get back in the form
[tex]\lim_{\delta \to 0} \frac{f(x_0 + \delta) - f(x_0)}{\delta} [/tex]
where [itex]\delta[/itex] is some new quantity depending on h.

(I cannot really give you more hints without doing the calculation for you, so I suggest you give this a try and post what you get).

[tex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ g(x_{1} +h) - g(x_{1})}{h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(m(x_{1}+h)+b) - f(mx_{1} + b)}{h} [/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ f(mx_{1} + mh + b) - f(mx_{1} + b)}{h}[/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{mh \rightarrow 0} m\frac{ f(mx_{1}+mh+b)-f(mx_{1}+b)}{mh}[/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{mh \rightarrow 0} m\frac{ f(mx_{1}+b+mh)-f(mx_{1}+b)}{mh}[/tex]
[tex] = m \lim_{\delta \rightarrow 0} \frac{ f(x_{0}+ \delta)-f(x_{0})}{\delta}[/tex]
[tex] = mf'(x_{0})[/tex]

If this is ok, now I got to use this result to prove that [tex] f'(x)=nm(mx+b)^{n-1} [/tex] if [tex] f(x) = (mx+b)^{n}[/tex], where m and b are constants and n is any integer. I know that [tex] \frac{dx^n}{dx}=nx^{n-1} [/tex] where n is any integer or do I use the definition given above in #1? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Very well.

The quickest way indeed seems to be, to use that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x) = n x^{n-1}[/tex]
where f(x) = xn is differentiable anywhere, and use what you have just proven.

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a point?

When a function is differentiable at a point, it means that the function has a well-defined derivative at that point. This means that the function is smooth and has a unique slope at that specific point.

2. How do you prove differentiability of a function at a given point?

To prove differentiability of a function at a given point, you need to show that the limit of the difference quotient exists at that point. This means that as the difference between the input and the given point approaches 0, the difference between the output and the given point also approaches 0.

3. What does the equation mx1+b=x0 represent in this context?

The equation mx1+b=x0 represents the slope-intercept form of a linear function. In this context, it represents the tangent line to the function g(x) at the point x1. The slope of this line is represented by the value of m, and the y-intercept is represented by the value of b.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at a point if it is not continuous at that point. In order for a function to be differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point. This means that the function has no breaks or jumps at that point.

5. Is differentiability the same as continuity?

No, differentiability and continuity are not the same. A function can be continuous at a point without being differentiable at that point. However, a function cannot be differentiable at a point if it is not continuous at that point.