Prove dual space has the direct sum decomposition

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving vector spaces and subspaces, and the need to prove a direct-sum decomposition for the dual space. The conversation also includes a question about the notation used in the proof and a request for clarification on what needs to be checked. The conversation ends with expressions of gratitude for help and achieving a good grade.
jpcjr
I apologize for not having any attempted work, but I have no idea how to even begin tackling this proof.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Homework Statement

Let V be a vector space,

Let W1, ..., Wk be subspaces of V, and,

Let Vj = W1 + ... + Wj-1 + Wj+1 + ... + Wk.

Suppose that V = W1 [itex]\oplus[/itex] ... [itex]\oplus[/itex] Wk.

Prove that the dual space V* has the direct-sum decomposition V* = Vo1 [itex]\oplus[/itex] ... [itex]\oplus[/itex] Vok.

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, I apologize for not having any attempted work, but I have no idea how to even begin tackling this proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the [itex]{}^\circ[/itex] in [itex]V_j^\circ[/itex]?

What is the " o " in Voj?

Definition.
If V is a vector space over the field F and S is a subset of V, the annihilator of S is the set So of linear functionals f on V such that f(α) = 0 for every α in S.

OK. You must prove

[tex]V^*=V_1^\circ \oplus ... \oplus V_n^\circ[/tex]

What does that mean?? What is the definition of a direct sum? What is it you need to check?

Thank you!

By the skin of my teeth, some help from you, and the grace of God, I received the best grade I could have expected in Linear Algebra.

Thanks, again!

Joe

What is the dual space?

The dual space is the set of all linear functionals on a vector space. It is denoted by V*, where V is the original vector space.

What is a direct sum decomposition?

A direct sum decomposition is a way of expressing a vector space as the direct sum of two or more subspaces. This means that every vector in the original space can be uniquely expressed as a sum of vectors from the subspaces.

Why is it important for the dual space to have a direct sum decomposition?

The direct sum decomposition of the dual space allows for a better understanding and study of the relationships between the original vector space and its dual space. It also simplifies calculations and proofs in linear algebra.

How do you prove that the dual space has a direct sum decomposition?

To prove that the dual space has a direct sum decomposition, we need to show that every vector in the dual space can be expressed as a sum of vectors from two subspaces and that this expression is unique. This can be done using the definition of the dual space and properties of linear functionals.

What are the subspaces involved in the direct sum decomposition of the dual space?

The two subspaces involved in the direct sum decomposition of the dual space are the annihilator and the kernel. The annihilator is the set of all linear functionals that evaluate to zero on a given subspace, while the kernel is the set of all vectors in the dual space that evaluate to zero on a given linear functional in the dual space.