Prove Function Reflection: Mirrored in y=x Line

In summary, to prove that the graph of the inverse of a function is the mirror image of the function reflected in the line y=x, you must show that the line passing through the points (a, b) and (b, a) intersects the line y=x at a right angle and that the distances between each point and the line y=x are the same. To do this, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the line passing through the two points, then find the point of intersection with the line y=x. From there, you can use the distance formula to show that the distances from each point to the point of intersection are equal. This proves that the claim is true for any function.
eleventhxhour
If (a, b) = f, then (b, a)= f^-1. The claim has been made that the graph of the inverse of a function is the mirror image of the function, reflected in the line y = x. To prove this you must

a) Show that the line that passes through the points (a, b) and (b, a) intersect the line y = x at a right angle.

b) Show that the distances between each point and the line y = x are the same. (To do this you MIGHT have to determine the point of intersection of the line passing though (a, b) and (b, a) and the line y = x).

Please help! I know that you can't really graph it on here, but it'd be so much help if you explained what the question means and how to solve it. I really don't understand it, so any sort of help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• inverse.png
    inverse.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 55
  • inverse1.png
    inverse1.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 54
Let's start with part a). To show that two lines are perpendicular, you can simply show that the product of their slopes is -1, as demonstrated here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/perpendicular-lines-product-their-slopes-2953.html

So, what is the slope of the line passing through the points $(a,b)$ and $(b,a)$? What is the slope of the line $y=x$? What is the product of the two slopes?

MarkFL said:
Let's start with part a). To show that two lines are perpendicular, you can simply show that the product of their slopes is -1, as demonstrated here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/perpendicular-lines-product-their-slopes-2953.html

So, what is the slope of the line passing through the points $(a,b)$ and $(b,a)$? What is the slope of the line $y=x$? What is the product of the two slopes?

Would the slope of the line passing through the points $(a,b)$ and $(b,a)$ be $-1$? And the slope of the line $y=x$ is $1$? The product is $-1$.

I understand how the line intersects y=x at a right angle, but I still don't know how to show that the distance is the same.

Also, there was another very small part of this question that I didn't understand: "Does this prove that the claim is true for any function? Why?"

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct concerning the slopes and their product. (Yes)

Next, find the point where the two lines intersect, and then apply the distance formula. Or, simply apply this formula:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/finding-distance-between-point-line-2952.html

MarkFL said:
Yes, you are correct concerning the slopes and their product. (Yes)

Next, find the point where the two lines intersect, and then apply the distance formula. Or, simply apply this formula:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/finding-distance-between-point-line-2952.html

I'm not really sure how you'd find the point where the two lines intersect. The points are (a, b) and (b, a), but the values aren't given for them. Would you just assume two random points? And then would you find the equation of that line?

I may be completely wrong haha.

Well, you know the slope is -1 and you know two points on the line (all you need to know is one) and so apply the point-slope formula to get the line:

\(\displaystyle y-b=-1(x-a)\)

\(\displaystyle y=-x+a+b\)

So, to find where this line intersects with the line $y=x$ solve:

\(\displaystyle x=-x+a+b\)

for $x$ and your point of intersection is $(x,x)$. Then apply the distance formula separately to the points $(a,b),\,(b,a)$ and the point of intersection you found. That is, show that the distance between $(a,b)$ and $(x,x)$ is the same as the distance between $(b,a)$ and $(x,x)$.

MarkFL said:
Well, you know the slope is -1 and you know two points on the line (all you need to know is one) and so apply the point-slope formula to get the line:

\(\displaystyle y-b=-1(x-a)\)

\(\displaystyle y=-x+a+b\)

So, to find where this line intersects with the line $y=x$ solve:

\(\displaystyle x=-x+a+b\)

for $x$ and your point of intersection is $(x,x)$. Then apply the distance formula separately to the points $(a,b),\,(b,a)$ and the point of intersection you found. That is, show that the distance between $(a,b)$ and $(x,x)$ is the same as the distance between $(b,a)$ and $(x,x)$.

So, doing the distance formula, would you get this:
$$d = \sqrt(a-x)^2 + (b-y)^2$$

And then I guess you'd solve it? That would get a lot of different variables though. It seems pretty complicated for a grade 11 question.

You want to find the point of intersection first, so solving the equation I gave you for $x$, we get:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{a+b}{2}\)

And so the point of intersection is:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{a+b}{2},\frac{a+b}{2} \right)\)

Next, we check the two distances to see that they are equal:

1.) Distance between \(\displaystyle (a,b)\) and \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{a+b}{2},\frac{a+b}{2} \right)\):

\(\displaystyle d_1=\sqrt{\left(a-\frac{a+b}{2} \right)^2+\left(b-\frac{a+b}{2} \right)^2}\)

2.) Distance between \(\displaystyle (b,a)\) and \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{a+b}{2},\frac{a+b}{2} \right)\):

\(\displaystyle d_2=\sqrt{\left(b-\frac{a+b}{2} \right)^2+\left(a-\frac{a+b}{2} \right)^2}\)

We can see without simplifying that by the commutative law of addition, the two distances are in fact the same.

MarkFL said:
You want to find the point of intersection first, so solving the equation I gave you for $x$, we get:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{a+b}{2}\)

And so the point of intersection is:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{a+b}{2},\frac{a+b}{2} \right)\)

Next, we check the two distances to see that they are equal:

1.) Distance between \(\displaystyle (a,b)\) and \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{a+b}{2},\frac{a+b}{2} \right)\):

\(\displaystyle d_1=\sqrt{\left(a-\frac{a+b}{2} \right)^2+\left(b-\frac{a+b}{2} \right)^2}\)

2.) Distance between \(\displaystyle (b,a)\) and \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{a+b}{2},\frac{a+b}{2} \right)\):

\(\displaystyle d_2=\sqrt{\left(b-\frac{a+b}{2} \right)^2+\left(a-\frac{a+b}{2} \right)^2}\)

We can see without simplifying that by the commutative law of addition, the two distances are in fact the same.

Thanks so much! That helps a lot. :)

Also, this was part b) of the question, which I'm not entirely sure how to do/explain:

"Does doing a) prove that the claim is true for any function? Why?"

Do you mean that is part c) of the question? Part b) was about the distances...how is the question actually structured?

MarkFL said:
Do you mean that is part c) of the question? Part b) was about the distances...how is the question actually structured?

Oh, my bad! Sorry about that. It's pretty much part b) to that entire set of questions, but on the actual sheet it's #2. I was just trying to make it simpler/easier to read. Here are the two questions exactly as written on the sheet:

1. If $(a, b) = f$, then $(b, a)= f^-1$. The claim has been made that the graph of the inverse of a function is the mirror image of the function, reflected in the line y = x. To prove this you must

a) Show that the line that passes through the points $(a, b)$ and $(b, a)$ intersect the line $y = x$ at a right angle.

b) Show that the distances between each point and the line $y = x $are the same. (To do this you MIGHT have to determine the point of intersection of the line passing though $(a, b)$ and $(b, a)$ and the line $y = x$).

2. Does doing 1. prove that this is true for any function? Why?

I'd assume that when it says "doing 1", it means proving that both a) and b) are true for any function.

Sorry for the confusion! And thanks again for your help.

Do all functions have an inverse function?

MarkFL said:
Do all functions have an inverse function?

Well, they may have an inverse that is not a function.

That notwithstanding, do you find any point $(a,b)$ for which part 1.) does not apply?

MarkFL said:
That notwithstanding, do you find any point $(a,b)$ for which part 1.) does not apply?

Hm, no. You can sub in any point for $(a,b)$ and it will work.

Related to Prove Function Reflection: Mirrored in y=x Line

1. What is a function reflection?

A function reflection is a transformation of a function that creates a mirror image of the original function over a specific line. In the case of the y=x line, the reflected function will be a mirror image of the original function over the line y=x.

2. How do you prove function reflection over the y=x line?

To prove function reflection over the y=x line, you need to show that the distance between each point on the original function and the y=x line is equal to the distance between the reflected point and the y=x line. This can be done by calculating the distance formula for each point and showing that they are equal.

3. What is the significance of the y=x line in function reflection?

The y=x line is the line of reflection in function reflection because it is the line where the x and y coordinates are equal. This means that any point on the original function will have the same x and y coordinates as its reflected point over the y=x line, resulting in a perfect mirror image.

4. Can the line of reflection be changed in function reflection?

Yes, the line of reflection can be changed in function reflection. The y=x line is just one example of a line of reflection. Any line can be used as the line of reflection, as long as the distance between each point on the original function and the line is equal to the distance between the reflected point and the line.

5. What are some real-life applications of function reflection over the y=x line?

Function reflection over the y=x line is commonly used in architecture and design to create symmetrical buildings and structures. It is also used in art and photography to create interesting and visually appealing images. Additionally, it has practical applications in physics and optics, such as in the design of reflective surfaces for mirrors and telescopes.