Prove that a given curve is planar

In summary, the parametric curve described by the given notations lies in a single plane, and the normal vector to this plane is found using the following equations. Another attempt was trying to isolate t and substituting it in 'z' and 'y'...Yet it doesn't help me any way. My general idea is actually proving the normal vector points the same direction in every point on the curve.
Electrophy6

Homework Statement

[/B]
Show that the given parametric curve decribed by the following notations:

x=cos(t), y=sin(t), z=2+2cos(t)

lies in a single plane ,find the normal vector to this plane

Homework Equations

---
[/B]
r(t)=cos(t) i + sin(t) j + 2+2cos(t) k

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was finding the osculating plane to this parametric curve using the follwing equations

Tangent(t)=(r'(t)/|r'(t)|) ===> Normal(t)=(T'(t)/|T'(t)|)
B
inomial=T X B
[/B]

I tried this method , yet it takes a much longer time than I guess required for solving this question---and actually I was told there is a simple way to solve this problem ...

Another attempt was trying to isolate t and substituing it in 'z' and 'y' ...Yet it doesn't help me any way

my general idea is actually proving the normal vector points the same direction in every point on the curve

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to mention ,someone who solved a simillar problem on another forum used the formula

Normal vector to the plane = (r' x r'')/ |r' x r''|.
Yet I couldn't find this formula or any proof of it in any of Calculus textbooks(Stewart,Thomas,Anton...) -and in class we have never encountered this formula -so we are not allowed to use it...(BTW ,in which textbook can I find this formula and its proof?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could find a [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] and a [itex]\mathbf{d}[/itex] such that [tex]
(\mathbf{r}(t) - \mathbf{d}) \cdot \mathbf{c} = 0
[/tex] for every [itex]t[/itex] then you would know that your curve lies in a plane normal to [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex]. Can you do that? Perhaps if you express [itex]\mathbf{r}(t)[/itex] in the form [itex]\mathbf{r}_0 + \mathbf{a}\cos(t) + \mathbf{b}\sin(t)[/itex] ...

You are given that x= cos(t), y= sin(t), z= 2+ 2 cos(t).

Isn't it obvious that z- x= 2?

Yes it is(that's what I did) , yet ,the answer key tells me the normal vector is different from (-1,0,1)...

Electrophy6 said:
Yes it is(that's what I did) , yet ,the answer key tells me the normal vector is different from (-1,0,1)...

So, what did the answer key say was the normal vector?

The complete solution is attached in this picture below...(without that ,you will not be able to understand the answer)
I do understnad the way it was solved yet , I still wanted to solve it by my own in the ways presented above...

Attachments

• jkl.png
    jkl.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 749
So again , is there any alternative way to solve this ?

Electrophy6 said:
So again , is there any alternative way to solve this ?

Did you try my earlier suggestion?

Oh sorry Pasmith, first of all thank you for your reply!
I have never seen this formula before...it makes sense of course
However, I need another way to solve it (as I mentioned, I guess I can't use it ,since I wasn't taught that...)

BTW:what is the source of this formua ,is it taken from a textbook?

Electrophy6 said:
The complete solution is attached in this picture below...(without that ,you will not be able to understand the answer)
I do understnad the way it was solved yet , I still wanted to solve it by my own in the ways presented above...

We don't need to see the picture; we just need to see the final result, which gives the normal ##\vec{n}## as
[tex] \vec{n} = \text{scalar} \cdot ( \vec{e}_z - 2 \vec{e}_x ) [/tex]
Isn't that what the last line says? Isn't that consistent with the fact that on the curve we have ##z = 2 + 2x##?

HallsofIvy said:
You are given that x= cos(t), y= sin(t), z= 2+ 2 cos(t).

Isn't it obvious that z- x= 2?
Electrophy6 said:
It's obvious in comparing what HallsofIvy said with the published solution that HallsofIvy has a typo in his post.

z = 2 + 2cos(t) gives z = 2 + 2x which results in -2x + z = 2 .

This gives the normal as (-2, 0, 1) as desired.

SammyS said:
It's obvious in comparing what HallsofIvy said with the published solution that HallsofIvy has a typo in his post.

z = 2 + 2cos(t) gives z = 2 + 2x which results in -2x + z = 2 .

This gives the normal as (-2, 0, 1) as desired.

yes you are totally right , but take a look at the solution my lecturer uploaded - why didn't he just use that method ?

He may not have noticed there was a simpler solution, or he may have simply wanted to illustrate some concepts he wants you to learn.

Related to Prove that a given curve is planar

1. What does it mean for a curve to be planar?

A planar curve is a curve that can be drawn on a flat surface without any part of the curve intersecting itself. In other words, it lies entirely on a single plane.

2. How can I prove that a given curve is planar?

To prove that a curve is planar, you can use one of the following methods:
1. Show that the curve can be represented by a single equation in two variables.
2. Prove that the curve can be projected onto a flat surface without any distortion.
3. Demonstrate that the curve can be traced with a straight line without any overlapping or intersection.
4. Use the Jordan Curve Theorem to show that the curve divides the plane into an inside and an outside region, without any overlapping or self-intersections.

3. Can all curves be proven to be planar?

No, not all curves can be proven to be planar. Some complex curves, such as fractals, cannot be represented by a single equation and therefore cannot be proven to be planar using the methods mentioned above.

4. Are there any real-world applications for proving a curve to be planar?

Yes, proving that a curve is planar is important in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics. It allows for accurate representation and analysis of curves in 2-dimensional space, which is essential in designing structures and creating digital models.

5. Is there any software or tool that can help with proving a curve to be planar?

Yes, there are various mathematical software and tools, such as Mathematica and Geogebra, that can assist in proving a curve to be planar. These tools can help visualize the curve and perform calculations to verify its planarity.