Prove that any function z = f(x + y) solves the equation z'x - z'y = 0

• Thread starter Addez123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, this question is asking for a function into which you have inputted (x+y). The function must be differentiable and satisfy the premise that it is a function into which you have put ##x+y## as the argument.
Addez123
Homework Statement
Prove that all functions $$z = f(x + y) $$
solves the equation $$z'_x - z'_y = 0$$
Relevant Equations
$$z = f(x + y) $$
$$z'_x - z'_y = 0$$
How about I prove that to be false instead?
$$z = x$$
$$z'_x(x + y) = 1$$
$$z'_y(x + y) = 0$$
$$z'_x - z'_y = 1$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Addez123 said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that all functions $$z = f(x + y) $$
Homework Equations:: $$z = f(x + y) $$
$$z'_x - z'_y = 0$$

$$z = x$$
$$z'_x(x + y) = 1$$
$$z'_y(x + y) = 0$$
$$z'_x - z'_y = 1$$
Incorrect. Your ##z## is not a function of ##x+y##, it is just a function of ##x##.

For ##f(t) = t##, you would obtain
$$z = f(x+y)= x+y$$
The statement is trivially true for this choice of ##f##.

Likes Addez123
Addez123 said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that all functions $$z = f(x + y) $$
Homework Equations:: $$z = f(x + y) $$
$$z'_x - z'_y = 0$$
Presumably these are partial derivatives. Primes usually aren't used for partial derivatives.
Instead, you could use ##z_x## to denote the partial of z with respect to x, or ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}##.
Similar for ##z_y##.
Addez123 said:
Why?
Addez123 said:
$$z = x$$
?
It's given that z is some function of x + y, not just x.
Addez123 said:
$$z'_x(x + y) = 1$$
$$z'_y(x + y) = 0$$
$$z'_x - z'_y = 1$$
I have no idea what you're doing in the three lines above.

You could let ##u = x + y##, meaning that u is a function of x and y, and z = f(u). What is ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}##? Think about the chain rule for partial derivatives.

Mark44 said:
Presumably these are partial derivatives. Primes usually aren't used for partial derivatives.
It is actually more common than you might think. I have seen it in at least one textbook. However, I agree that ##z_x## is neater and easier on the eyes ...

The question is missing the assumption that the partial derivatives must exist.

Math_QED said:
The question is missing the assumption that the partial derivatives must exist.
Technically yes (although stating that ##f## is a differentiable function seems more in line with the problem). However, the context where the question was asked is important. If the question has been asked in the context of something like a mathematical methods for physics/engineering/etc, then typically functions are implicitly assumed to be smooth.

The way I read it is: any function into which I input (x+y) will solve the equation.
Which isn't true obviously but how should I read it?

Addez123 said:
The way I read it is: any function into which I input (x+y) will solve the equation.
Which isn't true obviously but how should I read it?
It is true (with the addition that the function needs to be differentiable). Your counter example does not satisfy the premise that it is a function into which you have put ##x+y## as the argument.

Likes Addez123
Orodruin said:
It is true (with the addition that the function needs to be differentiable). Your counter example does not satisfy the premise that it is a function into which you have put ##x+y## as the argument.
Ah yes! That DOES make sense!

1. What is the equation z'x - z'y = 0?

The equation z'x - z'y = 0 is a partial differential equation that represents the relationship between the partial derivatives of a function z with respect to the variables x and y. It is also known as the Cauchy-Riemann equation.

2. How do you prove that any function z = f(x + y) solves this equation?

To prove that any function z = f(x + y) solves the equation z'x - z'y = 0, we need to show that the partial derivatives of z with respect to x and y satisfy the equation. This can be done by using the chain rule and substituting z = f(x + y) into the equation.

3. What does it mean for a function to solve an equation?

For a function to solve an equation, it means that when the function is substituted into the equation, it satisfies the equation. This means that the values of the function and its derivatives must satisfy the equation for all values of the variables.

4. What are some real-world applications of this equation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to study fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also used in complex analysis to analyze holomorphic functions.

5. Can this equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this equation can be solved analytically. By using the chain rule and simplifying the equation, it can be rewritten in terms of the function z(x,y) and its partial derivatives. From there, various techniques such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics can be used to find a solution.