Prove that: F(x1,x2, xn)<=min Fi(xi)

• Thread starter aashish.v
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that a distribution function (DF) on a set of variables (x1...xn) is less than or equal to the minimum of the individual distribution functions (Fi) for each variable. The suggestion is to write out the left and right sides in terms of probabilities and show efforts before seeking tutorial help.
aashish.v
1. Prove that: F(x1,x2,...xn)<=min Fi(xi)

Where F is a DF on (x1...xn)

I know that this is very intuitive. But I am not able to find proper mathematical argument for that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming "DF" means (cumulative) distribution function, try writing out the left and right sides in terms of probabilities.

aashish.v said:
1. Prove that: F(x1,x2,...xn)<=min Fi(xi)

Where F is a DF on (x1...xn)

I know that this is very intuitive. But I am not able to find proper mathematical argument for that.

Check your PMs. You *must* show your efforts before we can offer tutorial help.

1. What does the notation F(x1,x2, xn)<=min Fi(xi) mean?

This notation means that the value of the function F, when evaluated at values x1, x2, ... xn, is less than or equal to the minimum value of the individual functions Fi evaluated at their respective values xi.

2. How do you prove this statement?

To prove this statement, you would need to show that for any values x1, x2, ... xn, the value of F(x1,x2, xn) is always less than or equal to the minimum value of Fi(xi). This can be done through mathematical manipulation and logical reasoning.

3. Can this statement be proven for any function F and Fi?

Yes, this statement can be proven for any functions F and Fi, as long as they are well-defined and satisfy the necessary conditions for mathematical proofs.

4. In what situations is this statement applicable?

This statement is applicable in any situation where a function F is compared to a set of other functions Fi, and it is desired to show that F is always less than or equal to the minimum value of Fi.

5. Why is this statement important in scientific research?

This statement is important in scientific research because it allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of a function F based on the behavior of a set of other functions Fi. This can help us understand and analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.