Prove that if n^2 is a multiple of 2, then n is multiple of 2

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
Using your example if 3x5 is the prime factorization of 15, what is the prime factorization of ##15^2##?ThanksPrime factorization of ##15^2## is 3x3x5x5Am I right?Yes, that's correct. So given the prime factorization of ##n##, what can you say about the prime factorization of ##n^2##?Yes, that's correct. So given the prime factorization of ##n##, what can you say about the prime factorization of ##n^2##?It will have twice the powers of each prime factor?Yes, that's correct. So given the prime factorization of ##n##
songoku
Homework Statement
Prove that if ##n^2## is multiple of 2 then n is multiple of 2 (n is integer)
Relevant Equations
Multiple of 2 = 2k
This is what I did:

If n is multiple of 2, then n can be stated in the form of 2k, where k is integer. So:
$$n^2=(2k)^2=4k^2=2(2k^2)$$ means that ##n^2## is multiple of 2

But I am pretty sure my working is wrong because I think what I did is the other way around, proving ##n^2## is multiple of 2 if ##n## is multiple of 2

How to do direct proof for this question? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that if ##n^2## is multiple of 2 then n is multiple of 2 (n is integer)
Relevant Equations:: Multiple of 2 = 2k

But I am pretty sure my working is wrong because I think what I did is the other way around, proving n2 is multiple of 2 if n is multiple of 2
Yes that's exactly what you did so you proved nothing towards the wanted.

To prove that if ##n^2## is even then ##n## is also even , use proof by contradiction: Assume that ##n## is not even and hence it will be ##n=2k+1##. Then use this to prove that ##n^2=2m+1## for some ##m(k)##, hence ##n^2 ## is not even either which is a contradiction.

Likes songoku
Delta2 said:
To prove that if ##n^2## is even then ##n## is also even , use proof by contradiction: Assume that ##n## is not even and hence it will be ##n=2k+1##. Then use this to prove that ##n^2=2m+1## for some ##m(k)##, hence ##n^2 ## is not even either which is a contradiction.
Is there maybe a way to do direct proof for this question, not using contradiction?

Thanks

songoku said:
Is there maybe a way to do direct proof for this question, not using contradiction?

Thanks
None that I know of. We basically use the fact that if it is not even then it is odd, and there is no other option, that is that the set of natural numbers splits to the set of evens and the set of odds. Even if there is some other proof (maybe using induction) it will use this fact.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much Delta2

songoku said:

Thanks
There a direct proof by considering prime factorisation.

##2## appears in the prime factorisation of ##n^2## iff it appears in the prime factorisation of ##n##.

In general, ##n^2## is divisible by ##p## iff ##n## is divisible by ##p##, as they have the same prime factors, with ##n^2## having twice the powers.

Likes songoku and Delta2
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that if ##n^2## is multiple of 2 then n is multiple of 2 (n is integer)
Relevant Equations:: Multiple of 2 = 2k

This is what I did:

If n is multiple of 2, then n can be stated in the form of 2k, where k is integer. So:
$$n^2=(2k)^2=4k^2=2(2k^2)$$ means that ##n^2## is multiple of 2

But I am pretty sure my working is wrong because I think what I did is the other way around, proving ##n^2## is multiple of 2 if ##n## is multiple of 2

How to do direct proof for this question? Thanks

Use the contrapositive: "if P then Q" is equivalent to "if (not Q) then (not P)".

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
There a direct proof by considering prime factorisation.

##2## appears in the prime factorisation of ##n^2## iff it appears in the prime factorisation of ##n##.

In general, ##n^2## is divisible by ##p## iff ##n## is divisible by ##p##, as they have the same prime factors, with ##n^2## having twice the powers.
So I only need to write explanation, no need to do any algebraic working?

Maybe something like this:
If ##n^2## is multiple of 2, it means 2 is one of prime factorisation of ##n^2## so ##n^2## is divisible by 2. Since ##n^2## is divisible by 2, this means ##n## is also divisible by 2 so it is proven that ##n## is also multiple of 2.

Thanks

It is easy to prove the contraposition, i.e. let n be an odd number, n^2 is also an odd number.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
So I only need to write explanation, no need to do any algebraic working?

Maybe something like this:
If ##n^2## is multiple of 2, it means 2 is one of prime factorisation of ##n^2## so ##n^2## is divisible by 2. Since ##n^2## is divisible by 2, this means ##n## is also divisible by 2 so it is proven that ##n## is also multiple of 2.

Thanks
I would simply say that ##n## and ##n^2## have the same prime factors. Hence, any prime divides ##n## iff it divides ##n^2##.

That's more general than just proving the case for even numbers.

If you want, you can write out the expression for the prime factorisation of ##n^2## and ##n## to support the claim.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
If you want, you can write out the expression for the prime factorisation of ##n^2## and ##n## to support the claim.
The expression would be: ##n^2 = 2a## where ##a## is integer?

Thanks

songoku said:
The expression would be: ##n^2 = 2a## where ##a## is integer?

Thanks
Do you know what a prime factorisation is?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
Do you know what a prime factorisation is?
What I know is something like this: Prime factorisation of 15 is 3 x 5

That's why I thought prime factorisation of ##n^2## is 2 x something

songoku said:
That's why I thought prime factorisation of n2 is 2 x something
You can do much better than that. Given the prime factorization of ##n## can you express in terms of it , the prime factorization of ##n^2##? Also given the fundamental theorem of number theory, this prime factorization of ##n^2## that you will find is the only one that exists.
(Using your example if 3x5 is the prime factorization of 15, what is the prime factorization of ##15^2##?

Likes songoku and PeroK
songoku said:
What I know is something like this: Prime factorisation of 15 is 3 x 5

That's why I thought prime factorisation of ##n^2## is 2 x something
I noticed this is pre-calculus, so perhaps writing down the general prime factorisation of an integer is too advanced.

The important point is to understand at some level that a prime divides ##n## iff it divides ##n^2##.

Likes songoku
Delta2 said:
You can do much better than that. Given the prime factorization of ##n## can you express in terms of it , the prime factorization of ##n^2##? Also given the fundamental theorem of number theory, this prime factorization of ##n^2## that you will find is the only one that exists.
(Using your example if 3x5 is the prime factorization of 15, what is the prime factorization of ##15^2##?
Do you mean the prime factorisation of ##n^2## is ##2^2 a##?

songoku said:
Do you mean the prime factorisation of ##n^2## is ##2^2 a##?
it will prove to be of that form yes, but it is not so obvious as you think

Likes songoku
Say ##n^2## is an even number, n is also even. Because if n is odd, ##n^2## cannot be even.

Say ##n^2## is an even number, n is multiple of 4. Because as mentioned above n is even so n=2m ,##n^2=4m^2##.

Likes songoku
anuttarasammyak said:
Say ##n^2## is an even number, n is also even. Because if n is odd, ##n^2## cannot be even.

Say ##n^2## is an even number, n is multiple of 4. Because as mentioned above n is even so n=2m ,##n^2=4m^2##.
We know this already. We're trying to use prime factorisation as a more general method.

I think @songoku doesn't seem so familiar with some concepts of number theory like the prime factorization, so I wonder if trying to prove this via the prime factorization route is a good idea...

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
We know this already. We're trying to use prime factorisation as a more general method.
So I try some generalization.

Say ##n^2## is a multiple of prime number p, n is also its multiple. Because if n is not so, ##n^2## cannot be so neither.

Likes songoku
Delta2 said:
I think @songoku doesn't seem so familiar with some concepts of number theory like the prime factorization, so I wonder if trying to prove this via the prime factorization route is a good idea...
Yes, maybe I just drop the idea of prime factorization :oldbiggrin:

I am able to do this question by using contradiction and contrapositive so I think it is enough. Direct proof is only due to my curiosity

Thank you very much for all the help and explanation Delta2, PeroK, pasmith, anuttarasammyak

Likes Delta2
Removed my reply as it had already been covered by other posts

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes Delta2
There is a general definition of a prime : p is a prime if ## p|(a \ cdot b) ## then p|a or p|b . Maybe you can use that for p=2. I think this applies to Euclidean Domains/Rings.

1. What is the statement being proven?

The statement being proven is "If n^2 is a multiple of 2, then n is a multiple of 2."

2. What is the significance of this statement?

This statement is significant because it shows that if a number squared is even, then the original number must also be even.

3. How can this statement be proven?

This statement can be proven using the direct proof method, which involves assuming the hypothesis is true and then using logical steps to show that the conclusion must also be true.

4. Can this statement be proven using other methods?

Yes, this statement can also be proven using the contrapositive method, which involves proving the statement's contrapositive (if n is not a multiple of 2, then n^2 is not a multiple of 2) instead.

5. Why is proving this statement important in mathematics?

Proving this statement is important in mathematics because it helps to establish the relationship between even numbers and their squares, and it can be used as a building block for more complex mathematical proofs and theories.