Prove that if s1 and s2 are subsets of a vectorspaceV such that

• Thread starter reb659
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
Anyway, in the end you have made clear that every element z in span(S1) can be written in the form a1x1 + ... + anxn, for some ai and xi in S1. So you have essentially just said: every element of span(S1) is in span(S1). That is not very helpful. To show that span(S1) is a subset of span(S2), you have to show that if z is any element of span(S1), then z is also in span(S2). You haven't done that yet.
reb659
Prove that if s1 and s2 are subsets of a vectorspaceV such that...

Homework Statement

Prove that if s1 and s2 are subsets of a vector space V such that S1 is a subset of S2,then span(S1) is a subset of span(s2). In particular, if s1 is a subset of s2 and span(s1)=V, deduce that span(s2)=V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with this, but I doubt its right. Particularly, it only applies to a finite subset. I don't know how I'd modify it to fit any subset.

Let s1,s2 be subsets of V such that s1 is a subset of s2. In cases1=s2, it is clear that span(s1)=span(s2). In case s1 does not equal s2, let x1...xn be the elements of s1. Then a1x1+a2x2+...anxn for all scalars A are in span(s1). We can write x1...xn...xk as the elements of s2. Then by definition a1x1+...anxn+...akxk are in span(s2). So span(s1) is a subset of span(s2).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

There is a theorem (or perhaps in your text it is even used as a definition) that the span of a set (possibly infinite) consists of finite linear combinations. So if you take any vector v from span(S1) then you can write it as a1x1+a2x2+...anxn for some scalars ai and finitely many vectors xi in S1. Now you only have to show that v is then also in span(S2). That's almost trivial though, if you note that span(S2) is a vector space by definition of span.

I just checked my text, and for some reason it doesn't mention that the span is a finite set of linear combinations. But now I know.

Let s1,s2 be subsets of V such that s1 is a subset of s2. In case s1=s2, it is clear that span(s1)=span(s2). In case s1 does not equal s2, let z=a1x1+a2x2+...anxn be the set of linear combinations of the elements of s1. By definition, z is an element of span(s1). Since the span of any set is a subspace, span(s2) is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. Since x1...xn are all elements of span(s2) for some a1...an, by the definition of a subspace, x=a1x1+a2x2+...anxn is also in span(s2).

Does this work?

Last edited:

First of all, I didn't say that the set is a finite set of linear combinations. I said it is a set of finite linear combinations, which is something completely different.

Also, z = a1x1 + ... + anxn is not a set, and it needn't contain all the elements of s1. In any case, if you want to prove that span(S1) is a subset of span(S2), you will need to make clear that you are taking any element z from span(S1). You can use that if you pick such a z, you can write it in the form you gave; rather than: if you write something in the form you gave, it is in span(S1).

Finally, a sentence like
"Since x1...xn are all elements of span(s2) for some a1...an"
is weird: why are x1 ... xn elements of span(S2) and what does a1...an have to do with them? I don't see a1...an in x1...xn?

1. What is a subset of a vectorspace?

A subset of a vectorspace V is a collection of vectors that are all contained within V. This means that every vector in the subset must also be an element of the vectorspace V.

2. How is a subset denoted?

A subset is typically denoted using the symbol ⊆, which means "is a subset of". For example, if s1 and s2 are subsets of a vectorspace V, it would be written as s1 ⊆ V and s2 ⊆ V.

3. What does it mean for two subsets to be equal?

If two subsets are equal, it means that they contain the exact same elements. In terms of vectorspaces, this means that s1 and s2 must have the same vectors in order for s1 = s2 to be true.

4. How do you prove that two subsets are equal?

To prove that two subsets are equal, you must show that they contain the same elements. This can be done by showing that every element in one subset is also in the other subset, and vice versa.

5. How does this concept apply to vectorspaces?

In vectorspaces, subsets are important because they allow us to break down a larger vectorspace into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help with calculations and proofs involving vectors, and also allows us to better understand the structure of a vectorspace.