Prove that quaternions are associative

In summary, this person is asking if there is a simpler way to prove associativity than the method they tried. They say that their work is tedious and will take forever unless there is a simpler method. They provide a summary of the content and say that the attempt at a solution is that their work can be represented as a matrix and the product defined as standard matrix multiplication. Finally, they say that if one starts with an associative algebra and then modds out by some relations, the result is automatically associative.
proton

Homework Statement

prove that quaternions are associative. ie (qr)s = q(rs), where q,r,s are quaternions

This isn't really a HW problem since I'm just wondering if there's a simpler way to prove associativity than the method I tried below

Homework Equations

i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = -1
ij=k=-ji
jk=i=-kj
ki=j=-ik
q=(a,b,c,d), r=(e,f,g,h), s=(l,m,n,p)

The Attempt at a Solution

Its not so much I don't know how to do the problem as it is that my work is tedious and will take forever, unless there's a simpler method

heres my work:
qr = (a,b,c,d)(e,f,g,h) = ae + af*i^2 + ag *ij + ah*k + be*i + bf*i^2 + bg*ij + bh*ik + ce*j + cf*ji + cg *j^2 + ch*jk + de*k + df*k + dg*jk + dh*k^2 = (ae-bf-cg-dh, af+be+ch-dg, ag-bh+ce+df, ah+bg=cf+de)

(qr)s = (ae-bf-cg-dh, af+be+ch-dg, ag-bh+ce+df, ah+bg=cf+de)(l,m,n,p) =
(lae-lbf-lcg-ldh-maf-mbe-mch+mdg-nag+nbh-nce-ndf-pah-pbg+pcf-pde, ...)
I got too tired to work out the i,j,k components

Theres got to be a simpler way to prove associativity

Physics news on Phys.org
There may be but there doesn't have to be. "Associativity" is always the most tedious property to prove! You are going to have to learn not to get so tired so quickly.

it took me a FULL page to prove (qr)s =q(rs)

Last edited:
If one were to show quaternions could be represented as a matrix and the product defined as standard matrix multiplication, would associativity follow as a consequence of the fact that a matrix represents a linear transformation and the matrix product is functional compostion?

Last edited:
If you start with an associative algebra and then modding out by some relations... then the result is automatically an associative algebra.

You can first prove the associativity for any triple of 4 basis quaternions 1,i,j,k, and then check that the same property holds for any real linear combination of them.

Eugene.

1. What are quaternions?

Quaternions are a type of mathematical object that extends complex numbers to four dimensions. They consist of four parts: a scalar (real) part and three imaginary parts, often represented as a + bi + cj + dk.

2. What does it mean for quaternions to be associative?

Associativity is a property of operations where the order in which the operations are performed does not affect the result. In the case of quaternions, this means that the order in which quaternion multiplication is performed does not change the final result.

3. Why is proving that quaternions are associative important?

Proving that quaternions are associative is important because it is a fundamental property of the quaternions and is necessary for their use in mathematical and scientific applications. It also helps to establish the consistency and validity of the quaternion algebra.

4. How is associativity of quaternions proven?

To prove that quaternions are associative, we must show that for any three quaternions p, q, and r, the following equation holds: (pq)r = p(qr). This can be done using algebraic manipulations and properties of quaternions.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the associativity of quaternions?

Yes, quaternions have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, they are used in 3D computer graphics to represent rotations, where associativity ensures that the order of rotations does not affect the final orientation of an object.