Prove that the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the proof relies on showing that OC is perpendicular to AB. This can be done by proving that vector c (corresponding to OC) is perpendicular to vector (b – a) (corroding to AB).
Darkmisc
Homework Statement
Prove that the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent. That is, they meet at a point.
Relevant Equations
Dot product of perpendicular vectors = 0
Hi everyone

I have the solutions to this problem, but I'm not sure I fully understand them.

Is the idea behind the proof that all of the following can only be true if the altitudes meet at O?
1. c-b is perpendicular to a
2. c-a is perpendicular to b
3. b-a is perpendicular to c.

That is, if they didn't meet at O, the component vectors of c-b would not cancel so that the resultant vector is perpendicular to a (and the same holds for (c-a)*b and (b-a)*c).Thanks
1664411648850.png

NB. a = OA, b = OB, c = OC. I used a segment to make labels and I'm stuck with the dots at the end of the segments.

image_2022-09-29_103340431.png

Physics news on Phys.org
@Lnewqban, I think that the diagram in Post #2 shows the intersection of the bisectors of the three angles (giving the incentre and incircle). But the Post #1 question is about the intersection of the altitudes (at the orthocentre): https://d138zd1ktt9iqe.cloudfront.net/media/seo_landing_files/orthocenter-of-a-triangle-1628503825.png

(It’s worth noting that if one of the triangle’s angles is greater than 90º, then the orthocentre lies outside the triangle. This is never true of the incentre.)

@Darkmisc, your diagram shown in Post #1 uses an equilateral triangle. The question presumably requires consideration of the general case (a scalene triangle). Working with the simplest case of an equilateral triangle could be misleading - probably best avoided!

[Minor edits made.]

Last edited:
Likes Darkmisc
Darkmisc said:
Is the idea behind the proof that all of the following can only be true if the altitudes meet at O?
1. c-b is perpendicular to a
2. c-a is perpendicular to b
3. b-a is perpendicular to c.

That is, if they didn't meet at O, the component vectors of c-b would not cancel so that the resultant vector is perpendicular to a (and the same holds for (c-a)*b and (b-a)*c).
Not how I'd explain the process. See if this makes sense...

In the proof, point O is first defined as the point of intersection of just two altitudes: the altitude from A and the altitude from B.

Then a new line is constructed from O to C.

This new line may or may not be the altitude from C. We need to prove that it is indeed the altitude.

To do this we need to show that OC is perpendicular to AB. (Because, by definition, the altitude from C passes through C and is perpendicular to AB.)

This means showing that vector c (corresponding to OC) is perpendicular to vector (b – a) (corroding to AB).

The proof relies on you understanding a couple of key points:

a) how to geometrically subtract one vector from another (that's how we know that the sides of the triangle correspond to (c-a), (c-b) and (b-a)). E.g. see the 2 drawings on the right here: https://www.qsstudy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Vectors-addition-and-subtraction.jpg

b) the dot product of 2 perpendicular vectors is zero; and conversely, if the dot product of 2 vectors is zero, the vectors must be perpendicular.

Thinking in terms of vector “components” will only confuse the matter.

Last edited:
Likes Darkmisc
Steve4Physics said:
@Lnewqban, I think that the diagram in Post #2 shows the intersection of the bisectors of the three angles (giving the incentre and incircle). But the Post #1 question is about the intersection of the altitudes (at the orthocentre): https://d138zd1ktt9iqe.cloudfront.net/media/seo_landing_files/orthocenter-of-a-triangle-1628503825.png

(It’s worth noting that if one of the triangle’s angles is greater than 90º, then the orthocentre lies outside the triangle. This is never true of the incentre.)
I stand corrected.
Thank you, Steve.
My apologies, @Darkmisc .
Post #2 deleted.

What does it mean for the altitudes of a triangle to be concurrent?

When the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent, it means that they intersect at a single point, known as the orthocenter. This point is located inside the triangle, and is the point where the three altitudes meet.

How can you prove that the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent?

There are a few different ways to prove that the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent. One method is to use the perpendicular bisectors of the sides of the triangle to construct the orthocenter. Another method is to use the fact that the orthocenter is equidistant from the three vertices of the triangle.

Why is it important to prove that the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent?

Proving that the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent is important because it is a fundamental property of triangles. It also allows us to find the orthocenter, which is useful in solving various geometric problems and constructions.

Can the altitudes of a triangle be concurrent if the triangle is obtuse or right?

Yes, the altitudes of a triangle can still be concurrent even if the triangle is obtuse or right. The orthocenter may lie outside of the triangle in these cases, but the altitudes will still intersect at a single point.

Is the converse of this statement true? That is, if the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent, is the triangle necessarily acute?

No, the converse of this statement is not necessarily true. There are certain special cases where the altitudes of an obtuse or right triangle may be concurrent, but in general, if the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent, the triangle does not have to be acute.