Prove that There exists a sequence of rationals approaching any real number

• Thread starter iceblits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, to prove that there exists a sequence of rationals {Rn} different from x that converges to x, we can use the Archimedian property to find two sequences, {an} and {bn}, that approach x from below and above respectively. Then, using the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals, we can find a rational sequence {Rn} between {an} and {bn}. By the squeeze principle, {Rn} also converges to x.
iceblits

Homework Statement

Let x be any real number. Prove that there exists a sequence {Rn} of rationals different from x such that {Rn} converges to x.

Use the Archimedian property, the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals, and the squeeze principle.

Homework Equations

The Archimedian property states that given any real number x, we may find a natural number n such that n>x.

The squeeze principle states that if the sequence {an} converges to L, the sequence {bn} converges to L, {an}<{bn} for all n, then, if {an}≤{cn}≤{bn}, then cn converges to L.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof:
If x is rational, then let {an}=x+1/n which is a sequence of rationals that converges to x.
Assume x is irrational and without loss of generality assume x>0. Using the Archimedian property we can find a natural number n such that 0<x<n. We will now construct two sequences {an}, {bn} which approach x from below and above respectively. Take the interval [0,n] and divide it into two equal parts. Then look at the interval [a1,b1] containing x. We know that X cannot be halfway point because x is irrational. Divide this interval into two again and consider the interval [a2,b2] containing x. Continue in this manner. Take {an} to be the sequence of left endpoints:{a1,a2...} and {bn} to be the sequence of right endpoints: {b1,b2...}. Both of these sequences are monotone and both are bounded by x. Thus {an} and {bn} both converge to x. Note that {an}<{(an+bn)/2}<{bn} and by the squeeze principle, {(an+bn)/2} converges to x. #

I feel that this is the correct way to go about it but it seems to me that it is not necessary to use the squeeze principle when I've already found two sequences {an},{bn} that converge to x. However, my instructor insists that I have to use the squeeze principle so I feel as if my proof can be greatly shortened somehow and I'm just not seeing how...

Physics news on Phys.org
iceblits said:

Homework Statement

Let x be any real number. Prove that there exists a sequence {Rn} of rationals different from x such that {Rn} converges to x.

Use the Archimedian property, the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals, and the squeeze principle.

Homework Equations

The Archimedian property states that given any real number x, we may find a natural number n such that n>x.

The squeeze principle states that if the sequence {an} converges to L, the sequence {bn} converges to L, {an}<{bn} for all n, then, if {an}≤{cn}≤{bn}, then cn converges to L.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof:
If x is rational, then let {an}=x+1/n which is a sequence of rationals that converges to x.
Assume x is irrational and without loss of generality assume x>0. Using the Archimedian property we can find a natural number n such that 0<x<n. We will now construct two sequences {an}, {bn} which approach x from below and above respectively. Take the interval [0,n] and divide it into two equal parts. Then look at the interval [a1,b1] containing x. We know that X cannot be halfway point because x is irrational. Divide this interval into two again and consider the interval [a2,b2] containing x. Continue in this manner. Take {an} to be the sequence of left endpoints:{a1,a2...} and {bn} to be the sequence of right endpoints: {b1,b2...}. Both of these sequences are monotone and both are bounded by x. Thus {an} and {bn} both converge to x. Note that {an}<{(an+bn)/2}<{bn} and by the squeeze principle, {(an+bn)/2} converges to x. #

I feel that this is the correct way to go about it but it seems to me that it is not necessary to use the squeeze principle when I've already found two sequences {an},{bn} that converge to x. However, my instructor insists that I have to use the squeeze principle so I feel as if my proof can be greatly shortened somehow and I'm just not seeing how...
Each of the sequences, {an} and {bn}, do appear to converge to x.

However, the reason you give,
"Both of these sequences are monotone and both are bounded by x. Thus {an} and {bn} both converge to x."​
does not guarantee that either converges to x.

Added in Edit:

Suggestions for constructing the sequence, {Rn}:
The sequences, {an} and {bn}, do not need to be rational. As long as each converges to x and an < bn, for each n, then density of rationals in the reals tells you that between each pair, an and bn, there is some rational number --- call it Rn .

Last edited:
Ah so...
Given a real number x, I may use the sequences, for example, x+1/n and x-1/n both of which approach x. Then, I can use density to say that between these two possibly irrational sequences I can find a rational sequence {Rn} so by the squeeze principle Rn converges to x?

iceblits said:
Ah so...
Given a real number x, I may use the sequences, for example, x+1/n and x-1/n both of which approach x. Then, I can use density to say that between these two possibly irrational sequences I can find a rational sequence {Rn} so by the squeeze principle Rn converges to x?
Looks good to me.

1. What does it mean for a sequence of rationals to approach a real number?

A sequence of rationals approaching a real number means that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to the given real number as the sequence continues. In other words, the difference between each term in the sequence and the given real number gets smaller and smaller as the sequence progresses.

2. How can you prove that there exists a sequence of rationals approaching any real number?

This can be proven using the Archimedean property of real numbers, which states that for any real number x, there exists a natural number n such that n > x. By repeatedly applying this property and dividing x by 2, we can construct a sequence of rational numbers that approach x.

3. Can you provide an example of a sequence of rationals approaching a given real number?

Yes, for example, if we want to approach the real number 1, we can start with the rational number 1/2 and repeatedly divide by 2, giving us the sequence 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, and so on. Each term in this sequence gets closer and closer to 1.

4. Is the sequence of rationals approaching a real number unique?

No, there are infinitely many sequences of rationals that can approach a given real number. For example, in the sequence mentioned above, we could have started with 2/3 instead of 1/2 and still approached 1. Additionally, we could use a different starting rational and a different method of approaching the real number.

5. Can a sequence of rationals approach a real number from both sides?

Yes, a sequence of rationals can approach a real number from both the left and right sides. This means that there are two separate sequences, one approaching from the left and one approaching from the right, that both converge to the same given real number.