Prove the following identity [Einstein notation]

In summary: The dot product is only defined for vectors. However, we can use the properties of the dot product to write$$(a\cdot\nabla)b = \nabla\cdot (ab) - b \nabla\cdot a$$Then for the identity we have$$\nabla\cdot(A\cdot B) = \nabla\cdot (A_iB_i) = \partial_i(A_iB_i) = \partial_iA_iB_i + A_i\partial_iB_i = (A_i\cdot\nabla)B_i + (B_i\cdot\nabla)A_i$$$$\nabla\times(A\times B) = \
Mulz

Homework Statement

[/B]
Prove the following identity:

[tex] \vec{\nabla}(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}) = (\vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{B} + (\vec{B} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{A} + \vec{A} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}) + \vec{B} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}) [/tex]

Homework Equations

Kronecker's delta, levi-civita tensor

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My solution consisted of simply solving the RHS by decomposition. I wrote [tex] \vec{A} = A_{1}A_{\hat{x}} + A_{2}A_{\hat{y}} + A_{3}A_{\hat{z}} [/tex] likewise with B. I manually solved for each term in RHS and I did get the correct result which was LHS. My problem is that there is probably a more efficient way of doing this, perhaps by incorporating Einstein notation and solve LHS immediately without having to look at RHS.

How should I do this?

I tried [tex] \vec{\nabla}(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}) = \partial_{x_{i}}A_{i}B_{i} = \frac{\partial A_{i}}{\partial_{x_{i}}}B_{i} + A_{i} \frac{\partial B_{i}}{\partial_{x_{i}}}[/tex] but then I got stuck. How to continiue? I'm not sure how all those [tex] \times [/tex] appear using einstein notation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mulz said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Prove the following identity:

[tex] \vec{\nabla}(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}) = (\vec{A} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{B} + (\vec{B} \cdot \vec{\nabla})\vec{A} + \vec{A} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}) + \vec{B} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}) [/tex]

Homework Equations

Kronecker's delta, levi-civita tensor

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My solution consisted of simply solving the RHS by decomposition. I wrote [tex] \vec{A} = A_{1}A_{\hat{x}} + A_{2}A_{\hat{y}} + A_{3}A_{\hat{z}} [/tex] likewise with B. I manually solved for each term in RHS and I did get the correct result which was LHS. My problem is that there is probably a more efficient way of doing this, perhaps by incorporating Einstein notation and solve LHS immediately without having to look at RHS.

How should I do this?

I tried [tex] \vec{\nabla}(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}) = \partial_{x_{i}}A_{i}B_{i} = \frac{\partial A_{i}}{\partial_{x_{i}}}B_{i} + A_{i} \frac{\partial B_{i}}{\partial_{x_{i}}}[/tex] but then I got stuck. How to continiue? I'm not sure how all those [tex] \times [/tex] appear using einstein notation.
You should not have the same index (here the "i") used three times in an expression, this is a big no-no. Also notice that your left side is a vector an your right side is a scalar, so that cannot be right. What you need is

$$ \hat{e}_j ~\partial_j (A_i B_i ) $$
where by ##\partial_j## I mean
$$ \partial_j \equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} $$.

Likes BvU
Einstein notation is just a shorthand -- doesn't help you derive something. Might even confuse some folks ... :rolleyes:

This any use ? (where you may need the liberty to read ##(a\cdot\nabla)## as ##(\nabla\cdot a)## by virtue of ##a\cdot b = b \cdot a ## ... )

Must admit I got stuck with factors of 2, though :wideeyed:

BvU said:
Einstein notation is just a shorthand -- doesn't help you derive something. Might even confuse some folks ... :rolleyes:

This any use ? (where you may need the liberty to read ##(a\cdot\nabla)## as ##(\nabla\cdot a)## by virtue of ##a\cdot b = b \cdot a ## ... )

Must admit I got stuck with factors of 2, though :wideeyed:
Just to not confuse the OP, we cannot write ##(a\cdot\nabla)## as ##(\nabla\cdot a)## when ##a## is a function of the coordinates.

Likes BvU

1. What is Einstein notation?

Einstein notation, also known as tensor notation or index notation, is a mathematical notation used to express and manipulate equations involving tensors. It was developed by Albert Einstein to simplify the representation of complex equations in physics.

2. How does Einstein notation work?

Einstein notation uses indices to represent the different components of a tensor. Repeated indices in an equation imply summation, making it easier to express and compute equations involving tensors. It also allows for more compact and elegant representations of complex equations.

3. What is the purpose of using Einstein notation?

The main purpose of using Einstein notation is to simplify and streamline the representation of complex equations involving tensors. It also helps with calculations and reduces the risk of errors, as well as making it easier to generalize equations to higher dimensions.

4. How do you prove an identity using Einstein notation?

To prove an identity using Einstein notation, you must show that the two sides of the equation are equal by manipulating the indices and applying the rules of Einstein notation. This involves expanding the summations and rearranging the terms until they match on both sides of the equation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Einstein notation?

When using Einstein notation, it's important to keep track of the indices and ensure they are used correctly. Common mistakes include using the wrong indices, forgetting to sum over repeated indices, and using the same index for different tensors in the same equation. It's also important to remember the rules of Einstein notation, such as the Einstein summation convention, to avoid errors in calculations.