Show the identity ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})##

In summary: I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood the instructions. In summary, the conversation discusses a vector identity for ##\vec \nabla (\vec A\cdot \vec B)## and the use of suffix notation to simplify the equation. The conversation also mentions using the BAC minus CAB rule as a useful vector identity. The conversation ends with a clarification on properly grouping factors in an equation.
Redwaves
Homework Statement
Show the identity ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u}) = \vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\vec{L} \times \vec{u})##, ##\vec{L} = \frac{\vec{r}}{i} \times \vec{\nabla}##
Relevant Equations
##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u}) = \vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\vec{L} \times \vec{u})##, ##\vec{L} = \frac{\vec{r}}{i} \times \vec{\nabla}##
First of all, sorry for the title I don't know the name of this formula and that's part of the problem, I can't find anything on google.
I have to show the identity above. Here's what I did. I don't know if this is correct so far.

##\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\vec{L} \times \vec{u})##

= ##\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\frac{\vec{r}}{i} \times \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{u})##

= ##\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\vec{\nabla}(\frac{\vec{r}}{i} \cdot \vec{u}) - \vec{u}(\frac{\vec{r}}{i} \cdot \vec{\nabla}))##

= ##\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + \vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u}) - \vec{u}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{\nabla})##

Is there a specific name for this identity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with the vector identity for ##\vec \nabla (\vec A\cdot \vec B)=\dots## and rewrite each of the 4 terms on the right-hand side.

Use suffix notation
\begin{align*}
L_j &= \dfrac{1}{i} \epsilon_{jlm} x_l \partial_m \\
\implies i (\mathbf{L} \times \mathbf{u})_i &= \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{jlm} x_l \partial_m u_k \\
&= (\delta_{kl} \delta_{im} - \delta_{il} \delta_{km})x_l \partial_m u_k \\
&= x_k \partial_i u_k - x_i \partial_k u_k \\
&= x_k \partial_i u_k - (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u}) x_i
\end{align*}also\begin{align*}
(\nabla(\mathbf{r} \cdot \mathbf{u}))_i = \partial_i (x_k u_k) &= u_k \partial_i x_k + x_k \partial_i u_k \\
&= u_i + x_k \partial_i u_k
\end{align*}
now can you see?

My bad, I forgot to mention that ##i = \sqrt{-1}##

That's why I replaced ##\vec{L}## to get rid of i's

there is no ambiguity in using the letter ##i## to denote both the imaginary unit and a vector index, since it is obvious from context

see post #3

ergospherical said:
Use suffix notation
\begin{align*}
L_j &= \dfrac{1}{i} \epsilon_{jlm} x_l \partial_m \\
\implies i (\mathbf{L} \times \mathbf{u})_i &= \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{jlm} x_l \partial_m u_k \\
&= (\delta_{kl} \delta_{im} - \delta_{il} \delta_{km})x_l \partial_m u_k \\
&= x_k \partial_i u_k - x_i \partial_k u_k \\
&= x_k \partial_i u_k - (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u}) x_i
\end{align*}also\begin{align*}
(\nabla(\mathbf{r} \cdot \mathbf{u}))_i = \partial_i (x_k u_k) &= u_k \partial_i x_k + x_k \partial_i u_k \\
&= u_i + x_k \partial_i u_k
\end{align*}
now can you see?
Is it the only way? I never used the suffix notation yet.

Redwaves said:
Is it the only way? I never used the suffix notation yet.
There is. See post #2.

kuruman said:
There is. See post #2.
I was working on it, but I wasn't sure since I can't get it work.

On the left hand side I get ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r}\cdot \vec{u}) = \vec{\nabla}(\vec{r}\cdot \vec{u}) + \vec{\nabla}(\vec{u} + \vec{r}))##
It doesn't work, but I can't figure out where are my errors.

Using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities#Dot_product_rule

and "bac cab" for the triple cross product.

Last edited:
Use
##\vec \nabla (\vec A\cdot \vec B)=(\vec A \cdot \vec \nabla)\vec B+\vec A\times(\vec \nabla \times \vec B) + (\vec B \cdot \vec \nabla)\vec A+\vec B\times(\vec \nabla \times \vec A).##

Let ##\vec A = \vec r## and ##\vec B=\vec u##. This is the brute-force method. Write it all out and unless you really, really know what you're doing don't use bac-cab for the triple cross product.

kuruman said:
Use
##\vec \nabla (\vec A\cdot \vec B)=(\vec A \cdot \vec \nabla)\vec B+\vec A\times(\vec \nabla \times \vec B) + (\vec B \cdot \vec \nabla)\vec A+\vec B\times(\vec \nabla \times \vec A).##

Let ##\vec A = \vec r## and ##\vec B=\vec u##. This is the brute-force method. Write it all out and unless you really, really know what you're doing don't use bac-cab for the triple cross product.
If I want to get rid of the cross products to have all the dot products to match the right hand side, I don't see how otherwise.
Maybe the answer I found for the right hand side isn't correct neither since I used bac-cab to get rid of the i's

I find the use of brute-force method and suffix notations both tedious and cumbersome. Why don't you try using first useful vector identities to simplify your equation. The BAC minus CAB rule is one such useful identity.
But I noticed in your OP where you wrote:
Redwaves said:
##\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\vec{L} \times \vec{u})## = ##\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\frac{\vec{r}}{i} \times \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{u})##
that you didn't properly group together the factors in the third term on the right hand side. You should have written
##\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\vec{L} \times \vec{u})## = ##\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i[ (\frac{\vec{r}}{i} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \vec{u} ]##

The OP posted this problem-to-prove question:
Redwaves said:
Homework Statement:: Show the identity ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u}) = \vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\vec{L} \times \vec{u})## , ##\vec{L} = \frac{\vec{r}}{i} \times \vec{\nabla}##

... don't know if ... correct ... ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u}) =\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\vec{L} \times \vec{u}) = \vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\frac{\vec{r}}{i} \times \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{u})## ...
As I already said in post #11, the correct simplification should lead to$$\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u}) = \vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + [~(\vec r \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \vec{u}~]$$But I was wondering if the identity to be proven shouldn't have been written$$\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u}) = 3\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + i(\vec{L} \times \vec{u})$$with an additional factor of 3 in the first term on the right hand side, so that it eventually simplifies to$$\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u}) = 3\vec{u} + \vec{r}(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}) + [~(\vec r \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \vec{u}~]$$It would be easy to get that additional factor if the term ##\vec{u}(\nabla \cdot\vec{r}~)## could somehow be incorporated in the equations while doing the vector algebra.

Suffix/index-notation is great to prove or derive the identities.
One could also look at one component of a vector identity, and do the others accordingly.

But once you have the identities, it's probably better to just use them [especially if the index notation is unfamiliar].

By the way, this seems a little advanced for "introductory physics".

1. What is the identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})##?

The identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})## is known as the product rule for the gradient. It states that the gradient of a dot product is equal to the dot product of the gradient of the first vector and the second vector, plus the dot product of the first vector and the gradient of the second vector.

2. How is the identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})## derived?

The identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})## can be derived using the definition of the dot product and the chain rule for multivariate functions. By expanding the dot product and applying the chain rule, the product rule for the gradient can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})##?

The identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})## is significant because it allows us to simplify the calculation of gradients for dot product expressions. This can be useful in various applications, such as in physics and engineering, where dot products are commonly used to represent physical quantities.

4. Can the identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})## be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})## can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, the product rule for the gradient can be extended to any number of vectors and any number of dimensions using the generalization of the chain rule known as the multivariate chain rule.

5. How is the identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})## used in practical applications?

The identity for ##\vec{\nabla}(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{u})## is used in practical applications to simplify the calculation of gradients for dot product expressions. This can be useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science, where gradient calculations are commonly used in optimization and modeling tasks.