Prove the product of two Hausdorff spaces is Hausdorff

• Thread starter sa1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, to prove that the product of two Hausdorff spaces is Hausdorff, it is necessary to show that for any distinct points in the product space, there exist disjoint neighborhoods. This can be achieved by using the Hausdorff property of the individual spaces and constructing sets in the product space which are guaranteed to be distinct. Therefore, the product of two Hausdorff spaces is also Hausdorff.
sa1988

Homework Statement

Prove the product of two Hausdorff spaces is Hausdorff

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For ##X##, ##Y## Hausdorff spaces, need to find ##s, t \in X \times Y## where neighbourhoods ##S, T## of ##s## and ##t## are disjoint.

Firstly, by the definition of the Hausdorff property, ##\exists \ x_1, x_2 \in X## whose neighbourhoods ##U_1## and ##U_2## are such that ##U_1 \cap U_2 = \emptyset##,

and the same can be said for some ##y_1, y_2 \in Y##.

The product ##X \times Y## must therefore contain points ##(x_1, y_1), (x_2, y_2)## made of these elements, whose neighbourhoods are the sets:

##T = \{ (x_1 - \delta , x_1 + \delta), (y_1 - \delta , y_1 + \delta) \}## with ##0 < \delta < min(x_1,y_1)##

and

##S = \{ (x_1 - \epsilon , x_2 + \epsilon), (y_2 - \epsilon, y_2 + \epsilon) \}## with ##0 < \epsilon < min(x_2, y_2)##

Now by original construction, ##x_1 \not= x_2## and ##y_1 \not= y_2##, so it can be said that ##x_1 < x_2## and ##y_1 < y_2## without loss of generality.

and by the original condition for the Hausdorff spaces ##X## and ##Y##, the points ##x_1##, ##x_2##, ##y_1##, and ##y_2## all have open and separate neighbourhoods in their respective spaces, so there must exist ##\delta## and ##\epsilon## such that

##x_1 + \delta < x_2 - \epsilon##
and
##y_1 + \delta < y_2 - \epsilon##

which means there are two points ##t = (x_1, y_1)## and ##s = (x_2, y_2) ## in ##X \times Y## such that

##(x_1 + \delta , y_1 + \delta) < (x_2 - \epsilon , y_2 - \epsilon)##

meaning ##t < s \ \forall \ s, t## under the above construction,

whose neighbourhoods ##T## and ##S## cannot intersect.

Hence the product of two Hausdorff spaces is Hausdorff.Well... that's my effort. Not sure how solid it is though. Feels like I invoked a circular argument along the way...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A Hausdorff space means every pair of distinct points have disjoint neighbourhoods. And, they are general topological spaces, where you appear to have assumed they are well-ordered metric spaces.

Likes sa1988
Bummer, yeah I did. I thought Hausdorff meant there was just one or 'some' pairs of distinct points that could be found, rather than every pair being distinct by definition.

I'll have a rethink. Cheers.

Answers have come out for the exercise sheet I was working on.

The proof I was trying to get to is surprisingly simple. Just thought I'd add it here for closure to this thread, and for my own practice. Learning through repetition, heh.

Suppose ##X## and ##Y## Hausdorff spaces.

For ##x_1, \ x_2## distinct in ##X##, there exists ##U_1, \ U_2 \subset X## where ##U_1 \cap U_2 = \emptyset##

Now make the sets ##V_1 = U_1 \times Y##
and ## V_2 = U_2 \times Y##

where ##V_1, \ V_2## are any two sets in ##X \times Y## which are distinct by construction via the usage of ##x_1## and ##x_2##.

Then ##V_1 \cap V_2 = (U_1 \cap U_2) \times Y = \emptyset \times Y = \emptyset##

Hence ##X \times Y## is Hausdorff.

What is a Hausdorff space?

A Hausdorff space is a topological space in which any two distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods. This means that for any two points in the space, there exist open sets containing each point that do not overlap.

What does it mean for a space to be Hausdorff?

If a space is Hausdorff, it satisfies the Hausdorff axiom, which states that any two distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods. This is a fundamental property of topological spaces and is important in many areas of mathematics.

What is the product of two Hausdorff spaces?

The product of two Hausdorff spaces is a new space formed by taking the Cartesian product of the two original spaces. This means that the points in the product space are ordered pairs, with one point from each of the original spaces.

How do you prove that the product of two Hausdorff spaces is Hausdorff?

To prove that the product of two Hausdorff spaces is Hausdorff, you need to show that for any two distinct points in the product space, there exist disjoint open sets containing each point. This can be done by using the Hausdorff property of each individual space and constructing appropriate open sets in the product space.

Why is the product of two Hausdorff spaces important?

The product of two Hausdorff spaces is important because it allows us to create new spaces with desirable properties. Hausdorff spaces are often used in topology and other areas of mathematics because of their useful properties, and the product of two Hausdorff spaces inherits these properties.