Prove trigonometric expression

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that sec^(2)(x/2) divided by 1 - tan^(2)(x/2) is equal to sec x using trigonometric identities. The poster attempted to use the identity 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) and expand tan^2(x/2) using the double angle formula, but was advised to convert and simplify before applying the double angle formula.
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that sec^(2)(x/2) divided by 1 - tan^(2)(x/2) is sec x

Homework Equations

Trig identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the identity: 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x)

I get for numerator: 1 + tan^2(x/2)
I kept denominator same: 1 - tan^2(x/2)
I get the impression (intuition?) that this can be solved in its current form. But then since i couldn't after a while, i just went on to expand tan^2(x/2) using the double angle formula to get expressions in terms of tan(x). It turned into something lengthy, so i doubt that I'm doing it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're headed in the wrong direction. Notice that

[tex]\tan(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sec(x)=\frac{1}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

so convert these and simplify, then you can easily apply a double angle formula.

OK, got it. Thanks, Mentallic.

Related to Prove trigonometric expression

1. What is a trigonometric expression?

A trigonometric expression is a mathematical expression that contains trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. Trigonometric expressions are commonly used in geometry and physics to represent relationships between angles and sides of triangles.

2. How do I prove a trigonometric expression?

To prove a trigonometric expression, you need to use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to transform the given expression into an equivalent form. This process involves using the properties and rules of trigonometric functions to simplify the expression and show that both sides are equal.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference formulas. These identities are used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

4. How do I know if a trigonometric expression is true?

If you have successfully proved a trigonometric expression, then it is true. However, you can also verify the expression by substituting values for the variables and using a calculator to evaluate both sides. If the results are equal, then the expression is true.

5. What are some tips for proving trigonometric expressions?

Some tips for proving trigonometric expressions include practicing with a variety of identities and problems, using the correct notation and terminology, and carefully checking your work for errors. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use visual aids to understand the relationships between the angles and sides in the expression.