Prove v^ has all of a vector's quantities

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving that the linear velocity formula given is applicable to circular motion, and determining the direction, turn, and magnitude of the velocity vector. The participants also discuss the use of radial velocity and the equation of a circle to prove this.
TheColector

Homework Statement

Hi
Given the linear velocity formula: v* v^ = r*ω(-sinθi^ + cosθj^)
i^, j^, v^ - unit vectors
I'm to prove that v^ has direction, turn and magnitude

Magnitude:
|v^| = sqrt((-sinθ)^2 + (cosθ)^2) = 1 (as is also stated in unit vector's definition)

Direction and turn:
-sinθ i^ +cosθj^ - describes a circular motion
And this is the part I can't prove. How am I to prove that formula above describes circular motion ? And how to determine direction and turn ?( I mean it changes every time the movement is made)
I can explain it on a paper with a drawing of a circle and the object moving there.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off you got the magnitude wrong. What you proved to be 1 is the magnitude of the unit vector not the magnitude of the velocity, a.k.a. the speed.
Secondly, to show circular motion, compare the tip of the velocity vector of an object going around a circle with the tip of the velocity vector that is given to you as θ varies from zero to 2π.

kuruman said:
What you proved to be 1 is the magnitude of the unit vector
According to the question statement, that is what was of interest, though I assume the task is to find direction, turn and magnitude, not to prove that ##\hat v## has them.

TheColector said:
How am I to prove that formula above describes circular motion ?
You could consider radial velocity.

haruspex said:
According to the question statement, that is what was of interest, ...
I guess I was confused by the unorthodox notation. If quantity r is starred, then ω should also be starred as part of the magnitude v* = r*ω*.

It was indeed about calculating magnitude of the unit vector.
In order to use radial velocity I assume that given motion is a circular one
I might have actually mislead you in the description. I'm to prove that v^ has magnitude(which I did) , turn and direction)
The thing is I have no idea why. The approach I have just made is as follows:
- let's take x to be [r*ω*sin(θ)] and y to be [r*ω*cos(θ)]
- then when we take x^2 + y^2 = r^2 *ω^2 - and this is a formula for a circle equasion
Neither it is wrong nor right according to my logic. What do you think ?
That would just explain direction and turn as it is a circular motion.

TheColector said:
x^2 + y^2 = r^2 *ω^2
More correctly vx2 + vy2 = r2ω2. That is indeed the equation of a circle if r ω is constant. Assume that it is and consider the velocity vector when θ has different values, say 0, π/2, π, 3π/2 and 2π. Draw it and compare with the velocity vector of an object that is going around a circle counterclockwise when it is at the 3 , 12, 9 and 6 o'clock positions.

@kuruman Yeah that seems to be correct. Thanks for your help.
Take care

TheColector said:
In order to use radial velocity I assume that given motion is a circular one
No, I thought you wanted to prove it was circular.
If you take the dot product of the velocity vector with the position vector then you will find if the radial velocity is zero. If it is, it must be circular motion.

1. What is v^ and what does it represent?

v^, or v-hat, is a unit vector that represents the direction and magnitude of a vector. It is commonly used in vector mathematics and physics.

2. How do you prove that v^ has all of a vector's quantities?

In order to prove that v^ has all of a vector's quantities, we need to show that it has both direction and magnitude. This can be done by using the formula v^ = v / |v|, where v is the original vector and |v| is the magnitude of the vector. This formula ensures that v^ has both direction and magnitude, making it an accurate representation of the original vector.

3. Can v^ be used to represent any type of vector?

Yes, v^ can be used to represent any type of vector, as long as it has both direction and magnitude. This includes displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, and many other types of vectors.

4. How is v^ different from a regular vector?

V^ is different from a regular vector in that it is a unit vector, meaning it has a magnitude of 1. This allows it to accurately represent the direction of a vector without being affected by its magnitude. Regular vectors, on the other hand, have both direction and magnitude, and can change depending on the magnitude of the vector.

5. Are there any other ways to represent a vector besides using v^?

Yes, there are other ways to represent a vector, such as using coordinates or components. However, v^ is a commonly used and convenient way to represent a vector, especially in vector mathematics and physics.