Prove variation of a differentiable function

In summary: In other words:\sum^{i=n-1}_{0} \Delta x_{i} \to \int ^{b}_{a} f(x) dx as n \to \inftyTherefore, we can write:Vf \leq M(b-a) = M \int ^{b}_{a} 1 dx = M \int ^{b}_{a} f'(x) dxBut remember, we want to prove that Vf = \int ^{b}_{a} | f'(x) | dx. To do this, we just need to show that the reverse inequality also holds,
stripes

Homework Statement

Prove that if a function f is once-differentiable on the interval [a, b], then

[itex]Vf = \int ^{b}_{a} | f'(x) | dx,[/itex]

where [itex]Vf = sup_{P} \sum^{i=n-1}_{0} | f(x_{i+1}) - f(x_{i}) |[/itex] where the supremum is taken over all partitions [itex] P = \left\{ a = x_{0} < x_{1} < ... < x_{n} = b .\right\}[/itex]

Use Taylor's Theorem (or the mean value theorem) and the definition of the integral.

Hint, adding an extra point to a partition cannot decrease [itex]\sum^{i=n-1}_{0} | f(x_{i+1}) - f(x_{i}) |[/itex]

In our class, we use this definition for a Riemann integral:
attachment.php?attachmentid=54963&d=1359024392.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I've gotten as far as writing down the definition of the integral and the definition of the total variation. Not sure how to apply the mean value theorem here. I did apply it on a later question but we were given a function to work with. Not sure how to start this one.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. This is an interesting problem that requires some knowledge of calculus and the definition of the Riemann integral. Let's start by writing down the definitions of the integral and the total variation:

The definition of the Riemann integral is:

\int ^{b}_{a} f(x) dx = \lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_{i}) \Delta x_{i}

where the limit is taken as the norm of the partition \Delta x_{i} goes to 0.

The definition of the total variation is:

Vf = sup_{P} \sum^{i=n-1}_{0} | f(x_{i+1}) - f(x_{i}) |

where the supremum is taken over all partitions P = \left\{ a = x_{0} < x_{1} < ... < x_{n} = b .\right\}

Now, let's use Taylor's Theorem to prove the given statement:

By Taylor's Theorem, we have:

f(x_{i+1}) = f(x_{i}) + f'(c_{i})(x_{i+1}-x_{i})

where c_{i} is some point between x_{i} and x_{i+1}.

Substituting this into the definition of the total variation, we get:

Vf = sup_{P} \sum^{i=n-1}_{0} | f'(c_{i}) | \Delta x_{i}

Now, since f is once-differentiable on the interval [a, b], we know that f' is continuous on [a, b]. This means that f' is bounded on [a, b]. Let's say | f'(x) | \leq M for all x in [a, b].

Therefore, we can write:

Vf = sup_{P} \sum^{i=n-1}_{0} | f'(c_{i}) | \Delta x_{i} \leq M \sup_{P} \sum^{i=n-1}_{0} \Delta x_{i} = M (b-a)

Now, let's look at the definition of the Riemann integral. We know that the integral is equal to the limit of the sum as the norm of the partition goes to 0. This means

Related to Prove variation of a differentiable function

1. What is the definition of a differentiable function?

A function is said to be differentiable if it has a derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined slope or rate of change at every point.

2. How do you prove variation of a differentiable function?

The variation of a differentiable function can be proven by using the Mean Value Theorem. This theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

3. What is the significance of proving variation of a differentiable function?

Proving variation of a differentiable function is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function over a given interval. It helps us analyze the rate of change of the function and identify important points such as maximums, minimums, and inflection points.

4. Can the variation of a differentiable function be proven using other methods besides the Mean Value Theorem?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove variation of a differentiable function, such as the First Derivative Test, Second Derivative Test, and Rolle's Theorem. These methods can provide additional information about the function, such as the concavity and points of inflection.

5. Are there any limitations to proving variation of a differentiable function?

One limitation of proving variation of a differentiable function is that it requires the function to be differentiable on the entire interval. If a function is not differentiable at certain points, then the Mean Value Theorem cannot be applied. Additionally, the function must be continuous on a closed interval, which means it must have a defined value at every point within the interval.