Proving a Basis for a Vector Space

In summary, to find the matrix representing a given linear transformation in a given ordered basis, the linear transformation is applied to each basis vector and the result is written as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The coefficients then give the columns of the matrix. For the third question, the matrix can be found by row reducing [(1,5);(1,6)] to [(1,0);(0,1)]. For question 6(b), there are two approaches: using the given matrix to determine the transformation of the new basis vectors, or constructing a "change of basis" matrix and multiplying it by the given matrix. Finally, for question c), values for a and b are substituted to correspond to the coefficients of the given basis
shaon0

Homework Statement

See Attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first two questions, I know I have to sub in values for a and b. But, I'm not sure what the output matrix is.
The 3rd q, to prove B is Basis for R^3. I just have to row reduce [(1,5);(1,6)] to get [(1,0);(0,1)] right? But like before, I don't know how to do b).

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Bases Linear Algebra.png
    Bases Linear Algebra.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 838
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the matrix representing a given linear transformation, in a given ordered basis, apply the linear transformation to each basis vector in turn. Write the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The coefficients give the columns of the matrix.

For example, [itex]f(x^2)= (x^2)'= 2x= 2(1+ x)- 2(1)= -2(1)+ 2(1+ x)+ 0(x^2)[/itex]. Since the basis is [itex]\{1, 1+ x, x^2\}[/itex], in that order, the third column of the matrix would be
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-2 \\ 2 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

For 6(b) there are two different ways to do this. The most direct would be to use the matrix, as given, to determine [itex]T\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 5\end{array}\right)[/itex] and [itex]T\left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\ 6\end{array}\right)[/itex] and then write the results as linear combinations of those new basis vectors. Another would be to construct the "change of basis" matrix and multiply by that.

HallsofIvy said:
To find the matrix representing a given linear transformation, in a given ordered basis, apply the linear transformation to each basis vector in turn. Write the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The coefficients give the columns of the matrix.

For example, [itex]f(x^2)= (x^2)'= 2x= 2(1+ x)- 2(1)= -2(1)+ 2(1+ x)+ 0(x^2)[/itex]. Since the basis is [itex]\{1, 1+ x, x^2\}[/itex], in that order, the third column of the matrix would be
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-2 \\ 2 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] For 6(b) there are two different ways to do this. The most direct would be to use the matrix, as given, to determine [itex]T\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 5\end{array}\right)[/itex] and [itex]T\left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\ 6\end{array}\right)[/itex] and then write the results as linear combinations of those new basis vectors. Another would be to construct the "change of basis" matrix and multiply by that.
Thanks HallsOfIvy; I still don't understand how to do the other two though. My approach is sub in values for a and b which correspond to the co-effs. of the given basis. Then assemble a matrix from them. Eg: f[(5,0);(1,3)]=[(1,1);(2;-1)] which gives me [(-17,4);(15,-3)] for c).

Last edited:

Related to Proving a Basis for a Vector Space

What is "Easy Bases Linear Algebra"?

Easy Bases Linear Algebra is a simplified version of linear algebra that focuses on the fundamental concepts and techniques used in the field. It is designed to be more accessible and easier to understand for beginners.

What are the key principles of Easy Bases Linear Algebra?

The key principles of Easy Bases Linear Algebra include vector operations, matrix operations, solving linear systems, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are essential for understanding more advanced linear algebra topics.

Why is understanding linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is used to model and solve complex systems and is the basis for many advanced mathematical concepts.

What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous real-world applications, including image and signal processing, data compression, machine learning, and computer graphics. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the most efficient route for a delivery truck.

Is linear algebra difficult to learn?

While linear algebra can be a challenging subject, Easy Bases Linear Algebra aims to make it more approachable and easier to learn. With practice and a solid understanding of the key principles, anyone can become proficient in the subject.