Proving a polynomial over Q[x] is irreducible

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary: This would be a good place to start.In summary, the polynomial x2+1 is irreducible in Q[x], but it cannot factor.
chaotixmonjuish
Show that the polynomial x^2+1 is irreducible in Q[x].

Hint: If not, it must factor as (ax+b)(cx+d) with a,b,c,d in Q. Show that this is impossible.

So I got this far:

ac =1

ad+bc=0

bd=1

I'm not sure how to go further than this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I don't understand why they restrict to just Q, as it's fairly easy to show that it's irreducible over R as well.

Hint: Square.

Well the question restricts it to Q[x].

I asked my prof if just saying it factors to (x-i)(x+i)...however he said it needs to be general. Hence why I have the ac, ac+db, and bd. I'm not sure how to 'generalize' the proof.

Looking at the equation, the core issue is that squares can't be negative in Q, right? So, you have a set of mixed products. Try to mix them together in a way that generates an absurdity.

So does this work:

ad=-bc
a=-bc/d

sub into the first equation

-bc^2=1
c^2=-1/b^ This is impossible in Q

No, b could be negative. Try substituting in the other direction.

well I'm saying that c^2 can't equal a negative number in Q, it would imply an i somewhere

Yes, but if b is negative, then -1/b will be positive, which is not an issue.

hmm...so I'm not sure what you mean then.

By substitute in the other direction, did you mean:

a=1/c and b=1/d

d/c+c/d=0

This is impossible

That works, though you did it differently from what I had in mind. I'd like to see you complete the reasoning though.

Here's what I was hinting at: (ad+bc)^2=0

(ad)^2 + 2abcd + (bc)^2 = 0

(ad)^2 + (bc)^2 = -2

Well to play with my idea more:

d^2+c^2/cd=0

d^2+c^2=0

This is not possible...to be honest I'm not sure how to follow the logic of yours.

chaotixmonjuish said:
Well to play with my idea more:

d^2+c^2/cd=0

d^2+c^2=0

This is not possible...to be honest I'm not sure how to follow the logic of yours.

What if c and d are 0?

In moving from the second to the third line, I replaced acbd with 1*1.

But c and d can't be zero because ac=1 and bd=1

chaotixmonjuish said:
But c and d can't be zero because ac=1 and bd=1

Well then, it seems our work here is done.

Thanks!

You can basically show how it's just split into x-i and x+i.

If x2 + 1 =a(x-b)(x-c) then b, c are roots of the equation, so in particular b2 = -1. This is impossible, hence it can't factor

You can use Eisenstein and the fact f(x) is irreducible if and only if f(x+1) is irreducible.

What does it mean for a polynomial to be irreducible over Q[x]?

A polynomial is considered irreducible over Q[x] if it cannot be factored into polynomials with coefficients in Q[x]. In other words, it cannot be broken down into simpler polynomials.

How can I prove that a polynomial is irreducible over Q[x]?

There are several methods for proving irreducibility of a polynomial over Q[x], such as the Eisenstein's criterion, the rational root theorem, and the use of the degree and leading coefficient. These methods involve analyzing the polynomial and its coefficients to determine if it can be factored.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to prove irreducibility of a polynomial over Q[x]?

One common mistake is assuming that a polynomial is irreducible without proper analysis. Another mistake is incorrectly using a method, such as Eisenstein's criterion, without satisfying all of its conditions. It is important to carefully consider the properties and factors of the polynomial before attempting to prove its irreducibility.

Are all polynomials over Q[x] irreducible?

No, not all polynomials over Q[x] are irreducible. Some polynomials can be factored into simpler polynomials with coefficients in Q[x]. However, there are certain polynomials that are known to be irreducible, such as cyclotomic polynomials and certain types of binomials.

Why is proving irreducibility of a polynomial over Q[x] important?

Proving irreducibility of a polynomial over Q[x] is important in various mathematical fields, such as algebra and number theory. It allows for a better understanding of the structure and properties of polynomials, and can also be used in the construction of other mathematical objects. Additionally, proving irreducibility can help determine the roots and factors of a polynomial, which can be useful in solving equations and problems.