Proving a surjective map iff the map of the inverse image is itself

In summary: If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.In summary, the statement f[f-1(Y)] = Y for every subset Y of T if, and only if, T = f(S) can be proved by showing that f is a surjective map in both directions.
lpo
In the recommended format :)

Homework Statement

First we say that f:S→T is a map. If Y ⊆ T and we define f-1(Y) to be the largest subset of S which f maps to Y:
f-1(Y) = {x:x ∈ S and f(x) ∈ Y}

I must prove that f[f-1(Y)] = Y for every subset Y of T if, and only if, T = f(S).

Homework Equations

f-1(Y) = {x:x ∈ S and f(x) ∈ Y}

f[f-1(Y)] = Y for every subset Y of T ⇔ T = f(S)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand the idea that f must be a surjective map from S to T because Y can be any subset of T so any inverse image of Y would need to map back to S. I also understand that if the map f of the inverse image of Y equals Y then f must be surjective from S to T. I drew the nice bubbles and arrows to help me out also but am having trouble proving this from a series of logical steps.

(Symbols used: ∀ - for all, ∃ - there is, ∈ - is an element of, ⊆ - is a subset of)

First I attempt to prove from right to left so:
Assume f(S) = T meaning f is surjective
∀ t ∈ T ∃ at least one x ∈ S such that f(x) = t
then by definition x ∈ f-1(Y)
since the map is surjective then f-1(Y) = S and f(f-1(Y)) = f(S) = T = Y
∀ f(f-1(Y)) = Y

Now I attempt from left to right:
Assume f(f-1(Y)) = Y
let y ∈ Y so y ∈ f(f-1(y))
∃ x ∈ f-1(y) such that f(x) = y ∈ Y ∀ Y ⊆ T
∀ y ∈ Y ∃ at least one x ∈ S such that f(x) = y meaning the map is surjective
f(S) = T

I don't feel like these are fully correct, there feels like there is some idea or connection I am missing. 4. Note

I live about an hour away from school and don't have any study partners to speak of and the professor is very very difficult to understand so any help and guidance would be extremely appreciated. Especially describing your thought process tackling this problem :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question regarding the proof of f[f-1(Y)] = Y for every subset Y of T if, and only if, T = f(S). I am happy to assist you in understanding this concept.

First, let's clarify the notation used in the question. The symbol "⇔" means "if and only if", which indicates a two-way implication. Also, the symbol "∀" means "for all" and "∃" means "there exists". The symbol "∈" means "is an element of" and "⊆" means "is a subset of".

Now, let's break down the proof step by step. To prove the statement, we need to show that f[f-1(Y)] = Y for every subset Y of T if, and only if, T = f(S).

From right to left:
Assuming T = f(S), we know that f is a surjective map because for every t ∈ T, there exists at least one x ∈ S such that f(x) = t. This means that every element in T has a preimage in S. Now, we can say that for any subset Y ⊆ T, the inverse image of Y, f-1(Y), will be a subset of S. This is because f-1(Y) is defined as the set of elements in S that are mapped to Y by f. Therefore, f[f-1(Y)] will also be a subset of T since it is the image of f-1(Y). However, since T = f(S), we can conclude that f[f-1(Y)] = Y for every subset Y of T.

From left to right:
Assuming f[f-1(Y)] = Y for every subset Y of T, we know that f[f-1(T)] = T. This is because T is a subset of itself and f[f-1(T)] is the image of the inverse image of T, which is T itself. This implies that every element in T has a preimage in S, meaning that f is a surjective map. Therefore, T = f(S).

As you can see, both directions of the proof rely on the fact that f is a surjective map. This is because for every element in T, there must be a preimage in S for the equality to hold. I hope this explanation has helped you understand

1. What is a surjective map?

A surjective map is a function or mapping between two sets where every element in the second set has at least one pre-image in the first set. In other words, every element in the second set is mapped to by at least one element in the first set.

2. How do you prove a surjective map?

To prove a map is surjective, you must show that every element in the second set has at least one pre-image in the first set. This can be done by either explicitly showing the pre-image for each element, or by using a proof by contradiction where you assume there is an element in the second set without a pre-image in the first set and then show that this leads to a contradiction.

3. What does it mean for the map of the inverse image to be itself?

If the map of the inverse image is itself, it means that the inverse image of every element in the second set is exactly equal to the set itself. In other words, the inverse image mapping is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements in the second set and the elements in the first set.

4. How do you prove that a map of the inverse image is itself?

To prove that the map of the inverse image is itself, you must show that the inverse image of every element in the second set is exactly equal to the set itself. This can be done by either explicitly showing the inverse image for each element, or by using a proof by contradiction where you assume there is an element in the second set with a different inverse image than itself and then show that this leads to a contradiction.

5. Can a surjective map be proven using the map of the inverse image?

Yes, a surjective map can be proven using the map of the inverse image. This is because a surjective map is defined as having a one-to-one correspondence between the elements in the second set and the elements in the first set, which is exactly what the map of the inverse image proves.