Proving an Integral with a Direct Proof & Epsilon Argument

In summary, the problem is impossible, and the correct statement is that if $f$ is continuous on $[a,b]$ with $f(x) \ge 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$, then $f(x) = 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$.
joypav
Okay, these are my last questions and then I'll get out of your hair for a while.

For 1, I have already done a proof by contradiction, but I'm supposed to also do a direct proof. Seems like it should be simple?

For 2, this seems obvious because it's the definition of an integral. My delta is 1/n. So I should try choosing a smart point, then I need to use an epsilon argument to prove that they are equal?

View attachment 6493

Attachments

• summation.jpg
    summation.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 83
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi joypav,
joypav said:
Okay, these are my last questions and then I'll get out of your hair for a while.

You're not bothering us with your questions, so feel free to ask whenever you have trouble. :)
joypav said:
For 1, I have already done a proof by contradiction, but I'm supposed to also do a direct proof. Seems like it should be simple?

The problem is impossible. For we cannot have both $f(x) > 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$, and also $f(x) = 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$. In fact, if $f(x) > 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$, then $\int_a^b f > 0$. The correct statement would be as follows:

Suppose $f$ is continuous on $[a,b]$ with $f(x) \ge 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$. If $\int_a^b f = 0$, then $f(x) = 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$.

joypav said:
For 2, this seems obvious because it's the definition of an integral. My delta is 1/n. So I should try choosing a smart point, then I need to use an epsilon argument to prove that they are equal?

That won't work. The $\delta$ chosen should be independent of $n$. Here's what we can do. Continuity of $f$ on the closed interval $[a,b]$ implies uniform continuity of $f$. Given $\epsilon > 0$, choose $\delta > 0$ in the definition of uniform continuity of $f$. Choose a positive integer $N$ such that $\frac{1}{N} < \delta$, write

$$\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k = 1}^n f\left(\frac{k}{n}\right) - \int_0^1 f(x)\, dx = \sum_{k = 1}^n \int_{(k-1)/n}^{k/n} \left[f\left(\frac{k}{n}\right) - f(x)\right]\, dx$$

and show that the integrals on the right hand side are bounded by $\frac{\epsilon}{n}$ whenever $n \ge N$.

Euge said:
The problem is impossible. For we cannot have both $f(x) > 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$, and also $f(x) = 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$. In fact, if $f(x) > 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$, then $\int_a^b f > 0$. The correct statement would be as follows:

Yes, I'm sorry, you're right. I copied it down wrong.
But also, I know you could use a proof with measure zero and Lebesgue stuff, but that isn't allowed. It's supposed to be a simple straightforward proof. Reading it, it is obvious, but my first instinct is to assume that there is a point where f is not zero, but that isn't allowed either.

View attachment 6494

Is this what you mean? And n needs to be larger than N because we need that for uniform continuity so that we can make f(k/n)-f(x) less than any epsilon, yes? Because k/n will always be in the interval [0,1], so we can use the usual uniform continuity.

Attachments

• problem4.jpg
    problem4.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 71
Not quite. Fix $k$. If $n \ge N$ and $x\in \left[\frac{k-1}{n}, \frac{k}{n}\right]$, then $\lvert \frac{k}{n} - x\rvert \le \frac{1}{n} \le \frac{1}{N} < \delta$. Thus, for all $n \ge N$, $\lvert f(k/n) - f(x)\rvert < \epsilon$ for all $x\in \left[\frac{k-1}{n}, \frac{k}{n}\right]$. Hence,

$$\int_{(k-1)/n}^{k/n} \left\lvert f\left(\frac{k}{n}\right) - f(x)\right\rvert\, dx < \frac{\epsilon}{n}\quad (n \ge N)$$

Euge said:
Not quite. Fix $k$. If $n \ge N$ and $x\in \left[\frac{k-1}{n}, \frac{k}{n}\right]$, then $\lvert \frac{k}{n} - x\rvert \le \frac{1}{n} \le \frac{1}{N} < \delta$. Thus, for all $n \ge N$, $\lvert f(k/n) - f(x)\rvert < \epsilon$ for all $x\in \left[\frac{k-1}{n}, \frac{k}{n}\right]$. Hence,

$$\int_{(k-1)/n}^{k/n} \left\lvert f\left(\frac{k}{n}\right) - f(x)\right\rvert\, dx < \frac{\epsilon}{n}\quad (n \ge N)$$

Oh, okay, duh. That becomes less than epsilon, because of continuity, but epsilon is a constant. So when you integrate it's just epsilon(b-a).

Well, the difference between the Riemann sum and integral is made less than $\epsilon$ in magnitude when $n\ge N$, but since $\epsilon$ was arbitrary, we obtain the desired limit.

I got you.
I think these are making much more sense. You have been a big help. This is my first time doing any proofs with integrals and I was very confused on where to start with them. Continuity plays a bigger role than I realized. I wish they'd start doing proofs earlier on.

joypav said:
I know you could use a proof with measure zero and Lebesgue stuff, but that isn't allowed. It's supposed to be a simple straightforward proof. Reading it, it is obvious, but my first instinct is to assume that there is a point where f is not zero, but that isn't allowed either.

To prove problem 1 directly, fix $x\in [a,b]$ and show that

$$f(x) = \lim_{h\to 0^+} \frac{1}{h}\int_x^{x+h} f(t)\, dt$$

Then show that for all sufficiently small $h > 0$, $\int_x^{x+h} f(t)\, dt = 0$. The limit above will then give $f(x) = 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$.

Euge said:
To prove problem 1 directly, fix $x\in [a,b]$ and show that

$$f(x) = \lim_{h\to 0^+} \frac{1}{h}\int_x^{x+h} f(t)\, dt$$

View attachment 6495
Is this correct?

Attachments

• realanalysisprob21.jpg
    realanalysisprob21.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 65
Almost. You have a typo in the last line: the fraction $\frac{x + h - h}{h}$ should be $$\frac{x + h - \color{red}{x}}{h}$$

Euge said:
Then show that for all sufficiently small $h > 0$, $\int_x^{x+h} f(t)\, dt = 0$. The limit above will then give $f(x) = 0$ for all $x\in [a,b]$.

And do the same type thing for this? An epsilon-delta argument?

No. Use the conditions $f \ge 0$ and $\int_a^b f = 0$, along with basic properties of the integral to prove that result.

1. What is a direct proof in the context of proving an integral?

In mathematics, a direct proof is a method of proving a statement or theorem by starting with the given conditions and using logical deductions to arrive at the desired conclusion. In the context of proving an integral, a direct proof typically involves using algebraic manipulations and known properties of integrals to show that the given integral equals the desired value.

2. What is an epsilon argument in the context of proving an integral?

An epsilon argument, also known as an epsilon-delta argument, is a method of proof commonly used in analysis to show that a limit or value exists. In the context of proving an integral, an epsilon argument involves choosing a small positive value (epsilon) and showing that the difference between the given integral and the desired value is less than epsilon. This demonstrates that the desired value is the limit of the integral as epsilon approaches zero.

3. How is a direct proof different from an epsilon argument?

A direct proof and an epsilon argument are two different methods of proof used in mathematics. A direct proof involves using logical deductions and known properties to arrive at a conclusion, while an epsilon argument involves showing that the difference between a given value and the desired value is less than a small positive value (epsilon). In the context of proving an integral, a direct proof typically involves algebraic manipulations, while an epsilon argument may involve choosing a suitable epsilon and using the definition of a limit.

4. What is the purpose of using an epsilon argument when proving an integral?

The purpose of using an epsilon argument when proving an integral is to show that the desired value is the limit of the integral as epsilon approaches zero. This provides a more rigorous and precise proof compared to a direct proof, as it demonstrates that the given integral converges to the desired value as the interval of integration becomes smaller and smaller.

5. Can any integral be proven using a direct proof and an epsilon argument?

Yes, any integral can be proven using a direct proof and an epsilon argument. However, the approach and level of complexity may vary depending on the specific integral and the techniques used for the proof. In some cases, a direct proof may be simpler and more straightforward, while in other cases, an epsilon argument may be more effective in proving the desired result.