Riemann Integration ... Existence Result .... Browder, Theorem 5.12 ....

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses Browder's book on Mathematical Analysis and focuses on Section 5.2 Existence Results. The conversation includes a question about the proof of Theorem 5.12 and the use of "+1" in the expression. The response clarifies that the "+1" is added to ensure the existence of n and satisfy the condition.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I need help with an aspect of Andrew Browder's proof of the fact that if f is a monotone function on [a, b] then the Riemann integral of f exists ...
I am reading Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am currently reading Chapter 5: The Riemann Integral and am currently focused on Section 5.2 Existence Results ... ...

I need some help in understanding the proof of Theorem 5.12 ...Theorem 5.12 and its proof read as follows:
Browder ... Theorem 5.12 .png

In the above proof by Andrew Browder we read the following:

" ... ... [For instance, one can choose a positive integer ##n## such that ##n \gt [f(b) - f(a) + 1](b - a) / \epsilon## ... ... "My question is as follows:

Why does Browder have ##+1## in the expression ##[f(b) - f(a) + 1](b - a) / \epsilon## ... ... ?Surely ##[f(b) - f(a)](b - a) / \epsilon## will do fine ... since ...

##\mu ( \pi ) = (b - a)/ n##

and so

##\mu ( \pi ) [f(b) - f(a)] = [f(b) - f(a)] (b - a)/ n \lt \epsilon## ...

... so we only need ...

##n \gt [f(b) - f(a)](b - a) / \epsilon##

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
Why does Browder have ##+1## in the expression ##[f(b) - f(a) + 1](b - a) / \epsilon## ... ... ?

Surely ##[f(b) - f(a)](b - a) / \epsilon## will do fine ... since ...

##\mu ( \pi ) = (b - a)/ n##

I think you are right. I suspect he put in the ##1## to avoid equality, but he didn't need it.

Likes bhobba, Math Amateur and member 587159

Hi Peter,

I believe the reason for the "+1" in the expression is to ensure that the chosen integer n is always greater than the given expression. In other words, if we just have [f(b) - f(a)](b - a) / epsilon, there is a possibility that the integer n might not be large enough to satisfy the condition. However, by adding the "+1", we guarantee that n will always be greater than the given expression, ensuring the existence of n.

I hope this helps clarify the proof for you.

1. What is Riemann integration?

Riemann integration is a method of calculating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller, simpler shapes and summing their areas.

2. What is the existence result for Riemann integration?

The existence result for Riemann integration states that if a function is bounded and continuous on a closed interval, then it is Riemann integrable on that interval.

3. What is Browder's Theorem 5.12?

Browder's Theorem 5.12 is a result in real analysis that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and has a non-zero derivative at every point, then it is strictly increasing on that interval.

4. How is Theorem 5.12 used in Riemann integration?

Theorem 5.12 is used in Riemann integration to show that if a function is continuous and has a non-zero derivative, then it is Riemann integrable on a closed interval.

5. Are there any other existence results for Riemann integration?

Yes, there are other existence results for Riemann integration, such as the Lebesgue's criterion and the Darboux's criterion. These results provide necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be Riemann integrable on a closed interval.