Riemann Integration ... Existence Result .... Browder, Theorem 5.12 ....

In summary: Your name]In summary, the +1 in the expression [f(b) - f(a) + 1](b - a) / \epsilon is used to ensure that the inequality holds for all cases and covers any potential "gaps" in the interval [f(b) - f(a), \epsilon]. This ensures that the value of n is large enough to guarantee the desired result.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am currently reading Chapter 5: The Riemann Integral and am currently focused on Section 5.2 Existence Results ... ...

I need some help in understanding the proof of Theorem 5.12 ...Theorem 5.12 and its proof read as follows:
View attachment 9501In the above proof by Andrew Browder we read the following:

" ... ... [For instance, one can choose a positive integer \(\displaystyle n\) such that \(\displaystyle n \gt [f(b) - f(a) + 1](b - a) / \epsilon\) ... ... "My question is as follows:

Why does Browder have \(\displaystyle +1\) in the expression \(\displaystyle [f(b) - f(a) + 1](b - a) / \epsilon\) ... ... ?Surely \(\displaystyle [f(b) - f(a)](b - a) / \epsilon\) will do fine ... since ...

\(\displaystyle \mu ( \pi ) = (b - a)/ n\)

and so

\(\displaystyle \mu ( \pi ) [f(b) - f(a)] = [f(b) - f(a)] (b - a)/ n \lt \epsilon\) ...

... so we only need ...

\(\displaystyle n \gt [f(b) - f(a)](b - a) / \epsilon\)

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Browder ... Theorem 5.12 .png
    Browder ... Theorem 5.12 .png
    28 KB · Views: 73
Physics news on Phys.org
The +1 in the expression [f(b) - f(a) + 1](b - a) / \epsilon is used to ensure that the inequality holds in all cases. If we only use [f(b) - f(a)](b - a) / \epsilon, we can only guarantee that the inequality will hold if f(b) ≥ f(a). However, if f(b) < f(a) then we can't guarantee that the inequality will hold. The +1 ensures that the inequality holds for any value of f(b) and f(a).

Hi Peter,

I can definitely understand your confusion with the +1 in the expression. Here's my understanding of it:

In this proof, Browder is trying to show that for any given \epsilon \gt 0, there exists a partition \pi of [a,b] such that \mu(\pi)[f(b) - f(a)] \lt \epsilon. In order to do this, he chooses a positive integer n such that n \gt [f(b) - f(a) + 1](b - a) / \epsilon.

The reason for the +1 is because Browder wants to make sure that the value of n is large enough to guarantee that \mu(\pi)[f(b) - f(a)] is less than \epsilon. By adding 1 to [f(b) - f(a)], he is ensuring that n is large enough to cover any potential "gaps" in the interval [f(b) - f(a), \epsilon].

In other words, if we only have n \gt [f(b) - f(a)](b - a) / \epsilon, there is a possibility that the value of n may not be large enough to cover all possible values within the interval [f(b) - f(a), \epsilon]. By adding 1, we are ensuring that n is large enough to cover all possible values within this interval.

I hope this helps clarify the use of +1 in the expression. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is Riemann Integration?

Riemann Integration is a method of calculating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing their areas. It is named after the mathematician Bernhard Riemann.

2. What is the Existence Result for Riemann Integration?

The Existence Result for Riemann Integration states that if a function is bounded and continuous on a closed interval, then it is Riemann integrable on that interval.

3. What is Browder's Theorem 5.12?

Browder's Theorem 5.12 is a result in real analysis that states if a function is continuous on a closed interval and its derivative is integrable on that interval, then the function is Riemann integrable on that interval.

4. How is Browder's Theorem 5.12 used in Riemann Integration?

Browder's Theorem 5.12 is often used to prove the existence of the Riemann integral for certain functions. It provides a necessary condition for a function to be Riemann integrable, which can be easier to check than the full definition of Riemann integrability.

5. Are there other methods of integration besides Riemann Integration?

Yes, there are other methods of integration such as Lebesgue Integration and Cauchy Integration. These methods have different definitions and properties than Riemann Integration, but they all aim to calculate the area under a curve. Each method may be more suitable for different types of functions.