Proving Convergence of a Sequence with a Given Upper Bound

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem, but got stuck. He tried to prove that if the sequence converges, then it must be less than six, but was not able to do so rigorously. He was helped by a tutor who pointed out that if the sequence converges, then it must be less than six. The student was able to solve the problem by assuming that the sequence converges and was able to reach a contradiction.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Proove rigorously that if (a[tex]_{n}[/tex] is a real convergent sequence with lim[tex]_{n\rightarrow \infty}[/tex] a[tex]_{n}[/tex] = a and for each n=[tex]\in[/tex] N, a[tex]_{n}[/tex] < 6, then a [tex]\leq[/tex] 6

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0 we need to find n[tex]_{0}[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] N such that

[tex]\left\|[/tex] a[tex]_{n}[/tex] - a[tex]\left\|[/tex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\forall[/tex] n [tex]\geq[/tex] n [tex]_{0}[/tex], n[tex]_{0}[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] N

but a[tex]_{n}[/tex] < 6
so

[tex]\left\|[/tex] 6 - a[tex]\left\|[/tex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

then

a < 6 - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0

so a [tex]\leq[/tex] 6

i think I've done this right, just by using the definition of a limit. Could anyone tell me if this is looking ok?

(Also i can't seem to get the sub script working, it always makes them go up instead of down, any ideas anyone?)

Thanks a million

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you're off track. You know that the sequence converges, so no matter what [tex] \epsilon [/tex] is given you can make

[tex]
|a_n - a| < \epsilon
[/tex]

if n is large enough.
But this:
gtfitzpatrick said:

but a[tex]_{n}[/tex] < 6
so

[tex]\left\|[/tex] 6 - a[tex]\left\|[/tex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

doesn't follow.

Try assuming [tex] a > 6 [/tex] and see if you can reach some contradiction. (Hint: if [tex] a > 6 [/tex] then [tex] a - 6 > 0 [/tex].)

thanks for getting back to me.

ok let me see if i have this right now.

first since the sequence is convergent [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0. then set a > 6 so

Since the sequence is convergent a[tex]_{}n[/tex] - a < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] or a < a[tex]_{}n[/tex] - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] but if a > 6 then 6 - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > a > 6 which can't be true so a muxt be < or = 6

Not quite . My point was that since [tex] a - 6 >0 [/tex] it would be a possibility for choice as [tex] \epsilon [/tex]

thanks for all the help,

do you mean a - 6 > 0 and an -a < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] then an - a < a - 6 ?

I must be still lookin at this wrong, can't seem to figure it out

Think of it intuitively first.

If [tex] a_n < 6 [/tex] for all n, and you want to prove that [tex] a \le 6 [/tex], then assume the opposite. Assume that [tex] a > 6 [/tex]. But since [tex] a_n \rightarrow a [/tex] then that means we can make [tex] a_n [/tex] as close to a as we want, provided that n is taken large enough, right?

Do you see how if a > 6 then there is no way we can possibly make [tex] a_n [/tex] as close to a as we want, no matter how large n is? Because for all n, [tex] a_n < 6 [/tex] ?

Make this into a rigorous argument now.

thanks a mill for replying

I can see that if an < 6 and a > 6 but an [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] a so they can't converge as they are both on opposite sides of 6 so to speak, but I am just not sure how to go about prooving this rigourously

Assume a > 6. Since [tex] a_n < 6 < a [/tex] for all n, we have [tex] a - a_n > 0 [/tex]. So [tex] |a_n - a| = a - a_n [/tex].

Now, we know that for every positive [tex] \epsilon [/tex] , [tex] a - a_n < \epsilon [/tex] provided that n is large enough. If a > 6 then a - 6 > 0, and so we can take [tex] \epsilon = a - 6 [/tex]. Try that out and see what happens.

JG89 said:
Assume a > 6. Since [tex] a_n < 6 < a [/tex] for all n, we have [tex] a - a_n > 0 [/tex]. So [tex] |a_n - a| = a - a_n [/tex].

the first part of this is grand. the second part, I am not following are you getting it from the def of a limit [tex]\left|[/tex]an-a [tex]\left|[/tex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

In the part you quoted, I'm just making it clear that |a_n - a| = a - a_n.

I'd rather get rid of the absolute value bars.

The rest of my post uses the definition of a limit.

JG89 said:
|a_n - a| = a - a_n.

sorryi'm not getting this, is this just because a>6>a_n

Yes. You know that |a_n - a| = |a - a_n|, right? but a - a_n > 0 anyway since a > a_n, so we can just drop the absolute value bars and write a - a_n

Damn this just isn't working for me- [tex]\epsilon = a- 6[/tex] but [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] so a-6> 0 or a>6 which is what I'm trying to disprove!

a-an < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and a - 6 = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

then a-an < a - 6

which works out to an < 6 which is true?

gtfitzpatrick said:
a-an < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and a - 6 = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

then a-an < a - 6

which works out to an < 6 which is true?

[tex]
a - a_n < a - 6
[/tex]

leads to

[tex]
a_n < 6
[/tex]?

Check your signs again.

damn it, sorry bout that. thanks a million for the help

Related to Proving Convergence of a Sequence with a Given Upper Bound

What is a lim convergent sequence?

A lim convergent sequence, also known as a limit convergent sequence, is a sequence of numbers that has a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. This means that as the sequence continues, the terms get closer and closer to a specific value, known as the limit.

How can I determine if a sequence is lim convergent?

To determine if a sequence is lim convergent, you can use the definition of a limit. This involves finding the limit of the sequence as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the sequence is lim convergent.

What is the difference between a lim convergent sequence and a divergent sequence?

The main difference between a lim convergent sequence and a divergent sequence is that a lim convergent sequence has a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity, while a divergent sequence does not have a limit. This means that a lim convergent sequence will approach a specific value, while a divergent sequence may approach infinity or oscillate between different values.

Can a sequence be both lim convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both lim convergent and divergent. This is because a sequence can only have one limit, and if a sequence has a limit, then it is lim convergent. If a sequence does not have a limit, then it is divergent.

What is the importance of lim convergent sequences in mathematics?

Lim convergent sequences are important in mathematics because they allow us to define and understand the concept of a limit. Limits are essential in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and differential equations. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.