Proving Entire Function f(z) is Constant | Complex Analysis Proof

In summary, the function f is a constant because it is bounded and the terms on the right hand side are all constants.
nickolas2730
Q:Let f be entire and suppose that I am f(z) ≥ M for all z. Prove that f must be a constant function.

A: i suppose M is a constant. So I am f(z) is a constant which means the function is a constant.

Am i doing this right ?
but i don't think there will be such a stupid question in my assignment ...
Or M is not even a constant? M can be anything?

THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
M is a constant alright. But why is I am f(z) a constant?? It depends on z, so I don't find it trivial that it is a constant...

Mod note: I moved the thread to calculus and beyond.

nickolas2730 said:
Q:Let f be entire and suppose that I am f(z) ≥ M for all z. Prove that f must be a constant function.

A: i suppose M is a constant. So I am f(z) is a constant which means the function is a constant.

Am i doing this right ?
but i don't think there will be such a stupid question in my assignment ...
Or M is not even a constant? M can be anything?

THanks

Suppose I have the function

[tex]f(z)=e^{ig(z)}[/tex]

and I know that [itex]|f|<100[/itex] everywhere. Then that must mean f is a constant right? But for [itex]e^{ig}[/itex] to be a constant, that must mean g(z) is a constant. So, suppose I have the expression:

[tex]e^{ig}=e^{i(u+iv)}[/tex]

and [itex]|e^{ig}|[/itex] is always bounded, say less than 100. Then what must be the constraints on the function u+iv for that to work?

am i doing this prove by liouville's theorem?
can i do it like this:
suppose f = 1/e^f(z)=1/e^ Im(f) < 1/e^M
so it is bounded
by liouville's theorem, it is constant

Related to Proving Entire Function f(z) is Constant | Complex Analysis Proof

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex variables. It involves the use of techniques from calculus and algebra to understand the properties of complex functions.

2. What is the importance of proving results in complex analysis?

Proving results in complex analysis is crucial in order to establish the validity of mathematical theorems and to gain a deeper understanding of complex functions. It also allows for the development of new theories and applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you prove a result in complex analysis?

To prove a result in complex analysis, one must use mathematical techniques such as differentiation, integration, and series expansions. It also involves logical reasoning and the use of definitions, axioms, and theorems.

4. What are some common techniques used in proving results in complex analysis?

Some common techniques used in proving results in complex analysis include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy integral formula, and the residue theorem. Other techniques include the use of power series, Laurent series, and contour integration.

5. Can complex analysis be used in real-world applications?

Yes, complex analysis has numerous applications in real-world problems such as in fluid dynamics, electrical engineering, and signal processing. It is also used in the study of complex systems and in the development of numerical methods for solving complex equations.