Proving equation for duration of transit

• I
  • Thread starter Erenjaeger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transit
In summary: That is correct. In summary, the conversation involved the speaker trying to arrive at the equation ΔT = PR*/πα, which was given at the beginning. They discussed possible steps to get to this equation, including using the equations v/α = 2π/P and v = 2R*/ΔT. They eventually arrived at the correct equation of ΔT = PR*/πα after eliminating v from the equations and simplifying.
Erenjaeger
The lecturer went through part of the proof so i am stuck on finishing it off.
equation: ΔT = PR*/πα
where P is the period of planet around star
R* is radius of star
α is orbital radius of planet
what I have done so far...
ω (orbital speed) = v/α also = 2π/p (p being a planetry year)
and linear velocity, v = 2R* /ΔT
⇒ ΔT = 2R*
so there are obviously some steps to get from 2R*/α to PR*/πα but i am not sure how to go about solving it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:
v/α also = 2π/p (p being a planetry year)
Right so far.
Erenjaeger said:
⇒ ΔT = 2R*/α
How do you get that?

haruspex said:
Right so far.

How do you get that?
that part was given to us, and i can't see how to get there from the previous information

Erenjaeger said:
that part was given to us, and i can't see how to get there from the previous information
You did not make it clear what you were given, what you had developed and what was to be shown.
You are trying to arrive at
Erenjaeger said:
ΔT = PR*/πα
Yes?

If so, ignore the incorrect equation
Erenjaeger said:
ΔT = 2R*/α
and work from
Erenjaeger said:
v/α also = 2π/p (p being a planetry year)

haruspex said:
You did not make it clear what you were given, what you had developed and what was to be shown.
You are trying to arrive at

Yes?

If so, ignore the incorrect equation

and work from
yes the equation for duration of the transit is given initially as ΔT = PR*/πα so should i now work from ΔT = 2R*/α because I'm not sure how to get to that step

Erenjaeger said:
yes the equation for duration of the transit is given initially as ΔT = PR*/πα so should i now work from ΔT = 2R*/α because I'm not sure how to get to that step
That does not clarify things for me.
What equation are you trying to get to? Is it ΔT = PR*/πα?
Where does the equation ΔT = 2R*/α come from? With variables defined as you specified, it is wrong. It is even dimensionally wrong. It divides one distance by another, which is not going to give a time as a result.
If you throw away that wrong equation and just work with v/α = 2π/p and v = 2R* /ΔT you can get ΔT = 2R*/α.

(I note that it is rather unusual to use α as a distance. It usually represents an angle or an angular acceleration, but neither of those make sense here either.)

haruspex said:
That does not clarify things for me.
What equation are you trying to get to? Is it ΔT = PR*/πα?
Where does the equation ΔT = 2R*/α come from? With variables defined as you specified, it is wrong. It is even dimensionally wrong. It divides one distance by another, which is not going to give a time as a result.
If you throw away that wrong equation and just work with v/α = 2π/p and v = 2R* /ΔT you can get ΔT = 2R*/α.

(I note that it is rather unusual to use α as a distance. It usually represents an angle or an angular acceleration, but neither of those make sense here either.)
im just meant to prove the duration of transit equation, which is given to us as ΔT = PR*/πα the working i gave was what the lecturer had given us to start us off but i am not sure how he got from v = 2R* /ΔT to then ΔT = 2R*/α.

Erenjaeger said:
but i am not sure how he got from v = 2R* /ΔT to then ΔT = 2R*/α.
Either you copied it down wrongly or the lecturer made a mistake. Clearly it should be ΔT = 2R*/v.

haruspex said:
Either you copied it down wrongly or the lecturer made a mistake. Clearly it should be ΔT = 2R*/v.
right yeah that is why i have been stuck i thought that it would obviously go to 2R*/v but in his notes it looked like it said α, ill try and work from that then thanks.

haruspex said:
so now I'm stuck from here actually haha

Erenjaeger said:
so now I'm stuck from here actually haha
Well, even ΔT = 2R*/v, though it is right, doesn't seem to be a useful step to take.
You have:
v/α = 2π/P
and
v = 2R* /ΔT
and you want an equation which does not involve v. So use one equation to eliminate v from the other.

haruspex said:
Well, even ΔT = 2R*/v, though it is right, doesn't seem to be a useful step to take.
You have:
v/α = 2π/P
and
v = 2R* /ΔT
and you want an equation which does not involve v. So use one equation to eliminate v from the other.
ah okay i think i have it,
v/α = 2π/P
v = 2R* /ΔT
therefore (2R*/ΔT)/α = 2π/p ⇒ (2R*/ΔT)⋅p = 2πα ⇒ 2PR*/ΔT = 2πα ⇒ 2PR* = 2παΔT
and finally..
ΔT = 2PR*/2πα and the 2's cancel so you get back to the original equation ⇒ ΔT = PR*/πα
hows that?

Erenjaeger said:
ah okay i think i have it,
v/α = 2π/P
v = 2R* /ΔT
therefore (2R*/ΔT)/α = 2π/p ⇒ (2R*/ΔT)⋅p = 2πα ⇒ 2PR*/ΔT = 2πα ⇒ 2PR* = 2παΔT
and finally..
ΔT = 2PR*/2πα and the 2's cancel so you get back to the original equation ⇒ ΔT = PR*/πα
hows that?
Yes.

1. What is the equation for determining the duration of transit?

The equation for determining the duration of transit is Distance/Velocity, where distance is the length of the transit and velocity is the speed at which the transit is occurring.

2. How accurate is the equation for determining the duration of transit?

The accuracy of the equation for determining the duration of transit depends on the accuracy of the distance and velocity measurements. If these measurements are precise, the equation should provide an accurate estimation of the transit duration.

3. Can the equation be used for all types of transit?

Yes, the equation for determining the duration of transit can be used for various types of transit, including but not limited to, cars, trains, airplanes, and spacecraft. However, the distance and velocity measurements may be different for each type of transit.

4. How do I use the equation for determining the duration of transit?

To use the equation, you will need to measure the distance of the transit and the velocity at which it is occurring. Then, plug those values into the equation (Distance/Velocity) to calculate the duration of transit.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the duration of transit?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the duration of transit, such as traffic, weather conditions, and any stops or delays along the route. These factors may cause the actual duration of transit to differ slightly from the calculated duration using the equation.