Proving functions in product space are measurable.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of measurable functions in a product space and provides an example of proving the measurability of a product of two measurable functions. The homework equations are unknown and the attempt at a solution involves using the definition of measurable functions in single measure spaces. The solution also involves choosing the same set for both functions in the product space.
happysauce

Homework Statement

I have a lot of questions that ask me to prove certain functions are measureable.

For example I have to show that given f:X→ ℝ is M - measurable and g:Y→ ℝ is N - measurable
implies that fg is M×N measurable.

Another is prove that f = {1 when x=y, 0 else} is measurable on B[itex]_{[0,1]}[/itex]×P([0,1]) where B[itex]_{[0,1]}[/itex] is the borel sets on [0,1] with respect to lebesgue measure and the measure P([0,1]) is the counting measure (cardinality of a set in [0,1])

Homework Equations

Don't know any.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a clue what to do because I don't know any definition of measurable functions in a product space. I know the case for single measure spaces, If E[itex]\in[/itex]N and f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](E) [itex]\in[/itex] M, then f is (M,N) - measurable.

So for the first question all I know is that E[itex]\in[/itex]B[itex]_{ℝ}[/itex] and f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](E) [itex]\in[/itex] M, and F[itex]\in[/itex] B[itex]_{ℝ}[/itex] and g[itex]^{-1}[/itex](F) [itex]\in[/itex] N

Physics news on Phys.org
happysauce said:
So for the first question all I know is that E[itex]\in[/itex]B[itex]_{ℝ}[/itex] and f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](E) [itex]\in[/itex] M, and F[itex]\in[/itex] B[itex]_{ℝ}[/itex] and g[itex]^{-1}[/itex](F) [itex]\in[/itex] N
Yes, but you are free to choose E=F here. What will the preimage of that be under (f, g)?

1. What is a product space?

A product space is a mathematical concept that combines two or more spaces to form a new space. In the context of functions, a product space is formed by combining two or more functions to form a new function.

2. Why is it important to prove that functions in product space are measurable?

Proving that functions in product space are measurable is important because it allows us to apply important concepts and theorems from measure theory to these functions. This allows us to study the properties and behavior of these functions in a rigorous and systematic way.

3. What is the definition of a measurable function?

A measurable function is a function whose preimage of a measurable set is also measurable. In other words, the inverse image of any measurable set under the function must be a measurable set.

4. How do you prove that a function in product space is measurable?

To prove that a function in product space is measurable, we need to show that its preimage of any measurable set is also measurable. This can be done by using the definition of a measurable function and properties of the underlying spaces and operations.

5. What are some common examples of product spaces?

Some common examples of product spaces include the Cartesian product of two sets, the direct product of two groups, and the tensor product of two vector spaces. In the context of functions, product spaces can be formed by combining functions such as addition, multiplication, or composition.