Proving Gibbs energy equals work

In summary, the conversation covers a question regarding the relationship between Gibb's free energy and work, specifically in a reversible process. The individual provides their reasoning, using equations such as the ideal gas law and the definition of Gibb's free energy. They also question if their reasoning is correct and ask for confirmation.
freek_g
Hi,

I'm preparing for my exams in a few weeks, of which one covers Thermodynamics.

I was trying to solve a question, where I noticed the Gibb's free energy had to equal the (negative) work. I kind of came to an answer, but was not sure if I did it the right way. All steps are reversible.

First, from the ideal gas law : $$ pV = nRT$$
Then, if I differentiate both sides: $$d(pV) = d(nRT)$$
$$ dpV = -pdV$$

So, let's hold that thought. Now for the Gibb's free energy (with T = constant): $$ dG = dH - TdS$$
And because ##H = U + pV##: $$ dG = dU + d(pV) - TdS$$
Now, ## U = q + w = q - pdV##: $$dG = q - pdV + dpV + pdV - TdS$$

Because ##q = q_{rev} = TdS##: $$ dG = q_{rev} + dpV - q_{rev} = dpV$$

Then, from the beginning: $$dG = dpV = -pdV = - w_{rev}$$

So my question, am I right with this reasoning?

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your third equation (which would be more clearly written ##V\,dp=-p\,dV##) already assumes constant temperature, right? Otherwise, I don't know how you're getting it.

Also, your first equation for Gibbs free energy is incorrect; you've mixed up ##T## and ##S##.

1. What is Gibbs energy?

Gibbs energy, also known as Gibbs free energy, is a thermodynamic quantity that represents the maximum amount of work that can be extracted from a system at constant temperature and pressure. It is denoted by the symbol G and is named after the scientist Josiah Willard Gibbs.

2. How is Gibbs energy related to work?

According to the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of Gibbs energy, it represents the energy available to do work. This means that if a system releases Gibbs energy, it can be used to perform work on its surroundings.

3. Why is it important to prove that Gibbs energy equals work?

Proving that Gibbs energy equals work is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between a system's energy and its ability to do work. This knowledge is crucial in many areas of science, including chemistry, physics, and engineering, where thermodynamics plays a significant role.

4. How is Gibbs energy calculated?

The Gibbs energy of a system can be calculated using the equation G = H - TS, where H is the enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and S is the entropy. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the equation G = U + PV - TS, where U is the internal energy, P is the pressure, V is the volume, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

5. Can Gibbs energy be negative?

Yes, Gibbs energy can be negative. A negative value of Gibbs energy indicates that the system has released energy and is able to do work on its surroundings. This is often the case for spontaneous reactions, where the reactants have a higher Gibbs energy than the products, resulting in a negative change in Gibbs energy and a release of energy.