Proving ##n^{1/n}## is Monotonically Decreasing

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    decreasing
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that ##n^{1/n}## is monotonically decreasing for ##n \geq 3## using induction. The conversation also explores the idea of using derivatives to prove the monotonicity, but ultimately concludes that induction is the best approach. A potential hint is given to consider the sequence ##a_n = n^{1/n} - 1## and prove that it converges to 0. Another approach is suggested to use the fact that ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln n}{n} = 0## to prove the limit of ##n^{1/n}## is ##1##.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that ##n^{1/n}## is monotonically decreasing for ##n \ge 3##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to prove the claim using induction. The base case is involves a trivial calculation. What I am having trouble is the induction step; i.e., assuming that ##n^{1/n} > (n+1)^{\frac{1}{n+1}}## is true, I want to show ##(n+1)^{\frac{1}{n+1}} > (n+2)^{\frac{1}{n+2}}##.

I have written the original inequality as ##n^{n+1} > (n+1)^n## and ##n > \left(\frac{n+1}{n} \right)^n## and working with these, but i have had no success. I could use a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be cheating to differentiate the continuous function x1/x? If (over a certain value of x) the differential is always negative, the function is monotonically decreasing, therefore so are its values for integral values of x.

the induction step starts with a(3) > a(4)

does n mean that the functions domain is natural numbers/

mjc123 said:
Would it be cheating to differentiate the continuous function x1/x? If (over a certain value of x) the differential is always negative, the function is monotonically decreasing, therefore so are its values for integral values of x.

I would like to avoid using derivatives and other calculus techniques

Bipolar Demon said:
the induction step starts with a(3) > a(4)

does n mean that the functions domain is natural numbers/

Yes, ##n## denotes a natural number. I am trying to show that the sequence ##n^{1/n}## converges to ##1##.

Likes Logical Dog
Bashyboy said:
I would like to avoid using derivatives and other calculus techniques
Yes, ##n## denotes a natural number. I am trying to show that the sequence ##n^{1/n}## converges to ##1##.

1/n converges to 0 as n tends to infinty and any natural number to the power 0 is 1 (this not a proof but intuition)
you want to prove monotonicity though.

Its enough to show that the function is bounded and convergent and hence has a monotonic subsequence, but I am sure this statement is not true

i think induction is the only way, i tried it and have got nowhere :P g

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that ##n^{1/n}## is monotonically decreasing for ##n \ge 3##.

Homework Equations

I am trying to prove the claim using induction. The base case is involves a trivial calculation. What I am having trouble is the induction step; i.e., assuming that ##n^{1/n} > (n+1)^{\frac{1}{n+1}}## is true, I want to show ##(n+1)^{\frac{1}{n+1}} > (n+2)^{\frac{1}{n+2}}##.

I have written the original inequality as ##n^{n+1} > (n+1)^n## and ##n > \left(\frac{n+1}{n} \right)^n## and working with these, but i have had no success. I could use a hint.

First, if you are trying to show that the limit is 1, then it will not be enough to show that the sequence is monotonic.

Second, induction looks out of place here, as each inequality does not appear to depend on the previous one.

A hint for the limit is to consider the sequence ##a_n = n^{1/n} - 1## and try to show that this converges to 0.

Likes Logical Dog
PeroK said:
First, if you are trying to show that the limit is 1, then it will not be enough to show that the sequence is monotonic.

Second, induction looks out of place here, as each inequality does not immediately appear to depend on the previous.

A hint for the limit is to consider the sequence an=n1/n−1an=n1/n−1a_n = n^{1/n} - 1 and try to show that this converges to 0.

It can be done. See Eric Naslund's answer and Martin Sleziak's comment on Eric's comment: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/76330/prove-sequence-a-n-n1-n-is-convergent

I tried to understand Sleziak's approach to induction, but I couldn't quite follow it. I understand he is proving it by contradiction; but if it really were a proof by contradiction, why wouldn't he end up with the inequalities like ##n^{1/n} > (n+1)^{\frac{1}{n+1}}## and ##(n+1)^{\frac{1}{n+1}} \le (n+2)^{\frac{1}{n+2}}## rather than ##
(n-1)^n\ge n^{n-1}## and ##(n+1)^n> n^{n+1}##?

Bipolar Demon said:
1/n converges to 0 as n tends to infinty and any natural number to the power 0 is 1 (this not a proof but intuition)
you want to prove monotonicity though.

Bipolar Demon: There may be a way to boost this intuition to a proof. We can write

$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} = n^{1/n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} e^{\ln n^{1/n}} = e^{\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln n}{n}}$$

where the last step invoked the composition limit law. However, in order to justly use this law, we need to show that ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln n}{n}## exists and, in particular, is zero.

I would like to see both of these proofs work.

Likes Logical Dog
Bashyboy said:
It can be done. See Eric Naslund's answer and Martin Sleziak's comment on Eric's comment: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/76330/prove-sequence-a-n-n1-n-is-convergent

I tried to understand Sleziak's approach to induction, but I couldn't quite follow it. I understand he is proving it by contradiction; but if it really were a proof by contradiction, why wouldn't he end up with the inequalities like ##n^{1/n} > (n+1)^{\frac{1}{n+1}}## and ##(n+1)^{\frac{1}{n+1}} \le (n+2)^{\frac{1}{n+2}}## rather than ##
(n-1)^n\ge n^{n-1}## and ##(n+1)^n> n^{n+1}##?

Looks like a mess to me! Instead try the method I suggested and the next step/hint is:

##(1 + a_n )^n = n##

Bashyboy said:
Bipolar Demon: There may be a way to boost this intuition to a proof. We can write

$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} = n^{1/n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} e^{\ln n^{1/n}} = e^{\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln n}{n}}$$

where the last step invoked the composition limit law. However, in order to justly use this law, we need to show that ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln n}{n}## exists and, in particular, is zero.

I would like to see both of these proofs work.

If you assume that ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\log n}{n} = 0##, then, with ##b_n = n^{1/n}## we have:

##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \log b_n = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\log n}{n} = 0##

And, as ##\log## is a 1-1 function, this can only happen if ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} b_n = 1##

PeroK said:
Looks like a mess to me! Instead try the method I suggested and the next step/hint is:

(1+an)n=n

Hmmm...Should I be doing an ##\epsilon##-proof with this hint?

Bashyboy said:
Hmmm...Should I be doing an ##\epsilon##-proof with this hint?

There's no need to get into ##\epsilon-\delta##. Instead, expand the power using the Binomial theorem and see if anything catches your eye.

That's three hints now!

Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You have shown that ##n^{1/n}## is decreasing if and only if
$$\left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^n < n $$.
The binomial expansion of ##(1 + 1/n)^n## gives
$$\left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^n \leq 1 + 1 + \frac{1}{2!} + \frac{1}{3!} + \cdots + \frac{1}{n!}.$$
Go on from there.

What does it mean for a function to be monotonically decreasing?

A function is monotonically decreasing if its values decrease as its input values increase. This means that as you move from left to right on a graph of the function, the function's values will decrease.

Why is it important to prove that ##n^{1/n}## is monotonically decreasing?

Proving that ##n^{1/n}## is monotonically decreasing is important because it allows us to better understand the behavior of this function and make predictions about its values. It also helps us to identify any critical points or intervals where the function is not decreasing, which can be useful in solving problems involving this function.

How can we prove that ##n^{1/n}## is monotonically decreasing?

We can prove that ##n^{1/n}## is monotonically decreasing by taking the derivative of the function and showing that it is negative for all values of n. Alternatively, we can show that the function's second derivative is positive, which would also indicate a monotonically decreasing function.

Are there any special cases where ##n^{1/n}## is not monotonically decreasing?

Yes, there are special cases where ##n^{1/n}## is not monotonically decreasing. For example, when n is equal to 1, the function is constant and therefore not decreasing. Additionally, when n is negative, the function is not defined, so it cannot be considered monotonically decreasing.

How does proving that ##n^{1/n}## is monotonically decreasing relate to other mathematical concepts?

Proving that ##n^{1/n}## is monotonically decreasing is related to concepts such as limits, derivatives, and the properties of exponential functions. It also helps us to understand the behavior of other functions that involve fractional exponents.