Proving N-th Root of Unity: e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}}

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that z=e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}} is an n-th root of unity, with n being a natural number and k being an integer between 0 and n-1. The solution involves using the property e^{i\theta}=cos\theta+isin\theta and simplifying the expression to get cos^{2}(\theta)+sin^{2}(\theta). The conversation then discusses using the expression \left(e^{\displaystyle \left(\frac{2k\pi i}{n}\right)}\right)^n to simplify the solution further.
autre

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]z=e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}},n\in\mathbb{N},k\in\mathbb{Z}, 0\leq k\leq n-1 [/itex] is an n-th root of unity.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know I have to come to the conclusion that [itex]z^{n}=1[/itex]. I'm thinking of using the property [itex]e^{i\theta}=cos\theta+isin\theta[/itex], but when I try to break it up like that I get something strange like [itex]e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}}=cos(\frac{2k\pi}{n})+i( \frac{2k\pi}{n})[/itex] and I have to get it into a form like [itex]cos^{2}(\theta)+sin^{2}(\theta) [/itex]. Any ideas on how to do that/am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
autre said:

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]z=e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}},n\in\mathbb{N},k\in\mathbb{Z}, 0\leq k\leq n-1 [/itex] is an n-th root of unity.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know I have to come to the conclusion that [itex]z^{n}=1[/itex]. I'm thinking of using the property [itex]e^{i\theta}=cos\theta+isin\theta[/itex], but when I try to break it up like that I get something strange like [itex]e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}}=cos(\frac{2k\pi}{n})+i( \frac{2k\pi}{n})[/itex] and I have to get it into a form like [itex]cos^{2}(\theta)+sin^{2}(\theta) [/itex]. Any ideas on how to do that/am I on the right track?

Look at [itex]\left(e^{\displaystyle \left(\frac{2k\pi i}{n}\right)}\right)^n\,.[/itex]

Oh, so I get [itex]\left(e^{{\displaystyle \left(\frac{2k\pi i}{n}\right)}}\right)^{n}=e^{2k\pi i}=cos(2k\pi)+isin(2k\pi)... [/itex] which looks better. But how do I go from there?

autre said:
Oh, so I get [itex]\left(e^{{\displaystyle \left(\frac{2k\pi i}{n}\right)}}\right)^{n}=e^{2k\pi i}=cos(2k\pi)+isin(2k\pi)... [/itex] which looks better. But how do I go from there?
If k is an integer, that is equal to 1 .

Related to Proving N-th Root of Unity: e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}}

1. What is the meaning of "N-th Root of Unity"?

The N-th root of unity is a complex number that, when raised to the Nth power, results in 1. In other words, it is a number that satisfies the equation x^N = 1.

2. Why is the N-th root of unity important in mathematics?

The N-th root of unity has many applications in mathematics, especially in number theory, algebra, and geometry. It is also used in solving polynomial equations, studying group theory, and understanding the behavior of periodic functions.

3. How is the N-th root of unity related to the exponential function?

The exponential function e^x can be expressed as e^x = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit and cos(x) and sin(x) are trigonometric functions. By substituting x = 2kπi/n, we get e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}} = cos(\frac{2k\pi}{n}) + i*sin(\frac{2k\pi}{n}), which is the N-th root of unity.

4. How do we prove that e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}} is the N-th root of unity?

To prove that e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}} is the N-th root of unity, we need to show that (e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}})^N = 1. By using the properties of exponents and trigonometric identities, we can simplify this expression to cos(\frac{2k\pi}{n}) + i*sin(\frac{2k\pi}{n}) = 1, which is true since cos(2π) = 1 and sin(2π) = 0. Therefore, e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}} is indeed the N-th root of unity.

5. How many N-th roots of unity are there?

There are N distinct N-th roots of unity, which can be represented as e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}}, where k = 0, 1, 2, ..., N-1. These roots form a regular polygon with N sides on the complex plane, with the origin as its center. They are evenly spaced on the unit circle and can be connected by straight lines to form a regular polygon.