Proving or Disproving a Statement in Set Notation

In summary: Thank you for this tip.In summary, the proposition states that for any real number a there is a number B such that B(a) is true.
amilapsn

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove the following
(i) ##\forall a\in\mathbb{R}[(\forall \epsilon>0,a<\epsilon)\Leftrightarrow a\leq 0]##

2. The attempt at a solution
Can't we disprove the above statement by telling ##a\leq 0 \nRightarrow (\forall \epsilon>0,a<\epsilon)## through a counter example like ##a\leq 0 \Rightarrow (\epsilon=0,a\leq \epsilon)## or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write out in words what the proposition is saying?

What would you have to show to prove it? Hint: there would be two parts to proving it.

Can you write down what property a countereaxmple would have? Hint: it could have one of two properties.

Does it hold for a = 0? Does it hold for a = -1? Does it hold for a = 1?

The proposition in words:
for all a belongs to real number set , for all ##\epsilon## >0 and a<##\epsilon## if and only if ##a\leq 0## .

I have to show both ##\forall \epsilon >0,a<\epsilon\Rightarrow a\leq 0## and ##a\leq 0\Rightarrow \forall \epsilon >0,a<0## to prove the proposition.

A counter example should disprove the proposition.

amilapsn said:
The proposition in words:
for all a belongs to real number set , for all ##\epsilon## >0 and a<##\epsilon## if and only if ##a\leq 0## .

I have to show both ##\forall \epsilon >0,a<\epsilon\Rightarrow a\leq 0## and ##a\leq 0\Rightarrow \forall \epsilon >0,a<0## to prove the proposition.

A counter example should disprove the proposition.

That's good.

What about a = 0, 1, -1? Does the proposition hold for these values of a?

The proposition holds for a=-1,0. But it doesn't hold for a=1.

amilapsn said:
The proposition holds for a=-1,0. But it doesn't hold for a=1.

Why does it fail for a = 1?

PeroK said:
Why does it fail for a = 1?
Because a=1 is not less than for all ##\epsilon>0##

amilapsn said:
Because a=1 is not less than for all ##\epsilon>0##

Take a step back. We have a proposition:

##\forall a \ \ A \Leftrightarrow B##

That's means that (if the proposition holds) then for each a we have either: A(a) true and B(a) true; or A(a) false and B(a) false.

For a = 1, what can you say about A(1) and B(1)?

Likes amilapsn
I see. The proposition holds for a=1 too, because A(1) false and B(1) false. Thanks...
Thank you for showing me the better way to look at the question.:smile:

Then the proposition is true for all a, so that we can't disprove it. We have to prove it. Thanks again @PeroK

amilapsn said:
I see. The proposition holds for a=1 too, because A(1) false and B(1) false. Thanks...
Thank you for showing me the better way to look at the question.:smile:

Also, when I first asked you to describe the proposition in words, you could have said:

The proposition states that:

"Any real number is less than or equal to 0 iff it is less than every positive number".

Put like that, it's clear that the proposition holds.

Likes amilapsn
Yeah, it's really clearer...

amilapsn said:
Then the proposition is true for all a, so that we can't disprove it. We have to prove it. Thanks again @PeroK

Here's a tip. This is something I do when dealing with propositions and logic:

I use "true" and "false" to relate to individual statements. E.g. ##a > 0## can be true or false.

And, I say a proposition "holds" or "fails". E.g. the proposition holds for a = 1.

Just now I felt what is called as "Enlightenment..."

1. What is set notation?

Set notation is a way of representing a set of elements using symbols and mathematical symbols. It is used to describe the properties and relationships between elements in a set.

2. How is set notation used in mathematics?

Set notation is used in mathematics to define and describe sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It is used to represent mathematical concepts such as subsets, unions, intersections, and complements.

3. What are the basic symbols used in set notation?

The basic symbols used in set notation include the set brackets { }, which enclose the elements of a set, the element symbol ∈, which represents "belongs to", and the universal set symbol Ø, which represents the empty set.

4. How is set notation used in computer science?

In computer science, set notation is used to represent data structures and algorithms. Sets are often used to store and manipulate data, and set operations such as union and intersection are commonly used in algorithms for data processing and analysis.

5. What is the difference between set notation and interval notation?

Set notation is used to represent discrete sets of elements, while interval notation is used to represent continuous sets of numbers. In set notation, the elements are enclosed in braces { }, while in interval notation, parentheses ( ) or brackets [ ] are used to indicate whether the endpoints are included or excluded.